Page 697 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 1975976476876956966976986997077477971197 ... LastLast
Results 13,921 to 13,940 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    They are trying to do more than that.

https://www.jacksonvilleprogress.com...5fdc59370.html

Texas Republicans sue Gov. Abbott

• By The Associated Press
    • 9 hrs ago

AUSTIN— Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, who has refused calls to expand mail-in voting in Texas during the coronavirus pandemic, was sued Wednesday by prominent members of his own party who now want to halt the biggest change he instead ordered for November’s election — extending early voting by a week

What is interesting to me is that much of this is driven by a single person from Houston, a gentleman named Steve Hotze: https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07...bbott-rioters/

Yikes. That is a disturbing article. I didn't know what to expect but not a wholistic, natural healing and wellness dude.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Yikes. That is a disturbing article. I didn't know what to expect but not a wholistic, natural healing and wellness dude.
    8 kids. He's the father of our country.

His page reads more like a snake oil salesman.

No comments since last night - I suppose many of us are feeling somewhat fatigued and burned out by this topic.

As with Steven, my anxiety over this election and potential aftermath is through the roof. I just feel really, really sad for my country right now.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    No comments since last night - I suppose many of us are feeling somewhat fatigued and burned out by this topic.

As with Steven, my anxiety over this election and potential aftermath is through the roof. I just feel really, really sad for my country right now.
    yeah, i've been hiding under the couch for the past week or so and don't plan to come out until Nov 3...and maybe not even then.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, i've been hiding under the couch for the past week or so and don't plan to come out until Nov 3...and maybe not even then.
    I have a trip planned for across the country to see my daughter 2 weeks AFTER the election and I'm stressing about that. I fear there will be no resolution to the election by then. Or even if there is I fear significant civil unrest that may make it unwise to travel. Ugh...

Pence is...

Attachment 11535
    I read the books and watched the movies and I still don't understand this analogy.

I don't want to sound like I'm taking sides or anything, but I'm just a Sharknado or an armed insurrection away from hitting Bingo on my 2020 Charlie Foxtrot card.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    I read the books and watched the movies and I still don't understand this analogy.
    It’s a 2020 plot twist prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I have a trip planned for across the country to see my daughter 2 weeks AFTER the election and I'm stressing about that. I fear there will be no resolution to the election by then. Or even if there is I fear significant civil unrest that may make it unwise to travel. Ugh...
    Having the exact same thoughts about travel plans. I've been saying for weeks in this thread that Trump's election strategy is for things to just be close enough in enough states to legally challenge and attempt to slow things down. He's explicitly articulated a lot of this, and that strategy is extremely consistent with his tactics so far (firing up the base without much effort to reach to other voters), so I don't think my thoughts are unfounded. I'm thinking the only way to avoid something really bad is if one candidate wins by such an large amount of electoral college votes that challenges wouldn't have popular credibility – which, to be fair, is possible. IMO what happens with the Supreme Court seat has a far greater probability of determining the outcome of the election than the most recent poll out of Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Having the exact same thoughts about travel plans. I've been saying for weeks in this thread that Trump's election strategy is for things to just be close enough in enough states to legally challenge and attempt to slow things down. He's explicitly articulated a lot of this, and that strategy is extremely consistent with his tactics so far (firing up the base without much effort to reach to other voters), so I don't think my thoughts are unfounded. I'm thinking the only way to avoid something really bad is if one candidate wins by such a large amount of electoral college votes on election day that challenges wouldn't have popular credibility – which, to be fair, is possible. IMO what happens with the Supreme Court seat has a far greater probability of determining the outcome of the election than the most recent poll out of Iowa.
    FIFY - I know I sound like a broken record but the timing of those votes will be crucial.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I don't want to sound like I'm taking sides or anything, but I'm just a Sharknado or an armed insurrection away from hitting Bingo on my 2020 Charlie Foxtrot card.
    I'm with you. I've got Karen Uprising or Alien Invasion for the win. Mrs. Nrrrrvous has Blizzard of the Century so she's hoping things are quiet for a couple more months.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I'm with you. I've got Karen Uprising or Alien Invasion for the win. Mrs. Nrrrrvous has Blizzard of the Century so she's hoping things are quiet for a couple more months.
    A Duke football win tomorrow would fit this narrative perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Karen Uprising
    Must spread sporks; this really drew a gut laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    The insinuation is that Pence is a double agent....

This is from Wikipedia....

Severus Snape is a fictional character in J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. He is an exceptionally skilled wizard whose coldly sarcastic and controlled exterior conceals deep emotions and anguish. A Professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Snape is hostile to Harry due to his resemblance to his father James, who bullied Snape during their time at Hogwarts.
    Snape's character becomes more layered and enigmatic as the series progresses, and a central mystery concerns his loyalties. Snape dies at the hands of Lord Voldemort in the seventh book, at which time his back story is revealed. Despite his attraction to the Dark Arts and Voldemort's ideology of wizard supremacy, Snape's love for Muggle-born Lily Evans, Harry's mother, eventually compelled him to defect from the Death Eaters and become a double agent for Albus Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoenix. The fact that Lily chose James Potter, Harry's father who had bullied Snape and to whom Harry bears a strong physical resemblance, only fuels Snape's hostility towards Harry.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

I know everyone likes to think about the contested 2000 election, but I think the more illustrative example is the election of 1876. Read about the shenanigans that went on and shudder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1876_U...romise_of_1877

With the EV count at 184-165, and with 185 being the number needed to win, there were 20 electoral votes in dispute. Here's just one of the disputes:

in Oregon, the vote of a single elector was disputed. The statewide result clearly favored Hayes, but the state's Democratic governor, La Fayette Grover, claimed that one GOP elector, former postmaster John Watts, was ineligible under Article II, Section 1, of the United States Constitution, since he was a "person holding an office of trust or profit under the United States." Grover then substituted a Democratic elector in his place. The two Republican electors dismissed Grover's action and each reported three votes for Hayes, while the Democratic elector, C. A. Cronin, reported one vote for Tilden and two votes for Hayes. The two Republican electors presented a certificate signed by the secretary of state of Oregon. Cronin and the two electors he appointed (Cronin voted for Tilden while his associates voted for Hayes) used a certificate signed by the governor and attested by the secretary of state.[17] Ultimately, all three of Oregon's votes were awarded to Hayes.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I know everyone likes to think about the contested 2000 election, but I think the more illustrative example is the election of 1876. Read about the shenanigans that went on and shudder: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1876_U...romise_of_1877

With the EV count at 184-165, and with 185 being the number needed to win, there were 20 electoral votes in dispute. Here's just one of the disputes:
    Nice to see that our election system hasn’t really progressed since 1876. Maybe by 2076 we’ll have made some positive advancements. I’m counting the days until then!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Nice to see that our election system hasn’t really progressed since 1876. Maybe by 2076 we’ll have made some positive advancements. I’m counting the days until then!
    Yeah, I expect more references to 1876 if this continues. Of course, back then, ultimately the parties were able to come to an agreement where one side got the presidency (RB Hayes), and the other side got the major policy shift they wanted (the end of Reconstruction). I'm not confident such an agreement could even happen today given the total distrust btw parties.

Edit: I'm not commenting on the soundness of said policy change, just that in the end, there was an agreement rather than Civil War part II.
    Last edited by crimsondevil; 09-25-2020 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    However, on election night it is possible that Trump will show a very large and significant lead. It also sounds like from what others have posted, Republicans plan to make counting absentee ballots as slow and difficult as possible (within the laws of each state, of course). It is possible in many states to try and "timeout" the election due to statutory deadlines and at the point it is usually the person in the lead that will be certified the winner. By making mail-in voting counting slow and difficult this may be a successful strategy to victory.

Just when you thought 2020 couldn't get any worse.
    I think the modal outcome here in Arizona right now is similar: Trump with a small but significant lead on Election night that gets reversed and then some as ballots are counted. That is exactly what happened in the Senatorial election in 2018 (and Trump tweeted about at the time). It is common here for close elections to take a week or more to finish counting since we have a tradition of mail-in ballots (70% or so of voters in a normal year). I am hoping/praying that engenders at least a little patience to let the process play out as it normally does.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondevil View Post
    I think the modal outcome here in Arizona right now is similar: Trump with a small but significant lead on Election night that gets reversed and then some as ballots are counted. That is exactly what happened in the Senatorial election in 2018 (and Trump tweeted about at the time). It is common here for close elections to take a week or more to finish counting since we have a tradition of mail-in ballots (70% or so of voters in a normal year). I am hoping/praying that engenders at least a little patience to let the process play out as it normally does.
    Do they start counting and publicizing the results of mail-in ballots before election day? One would think that this would help the situation, both in terms of spreading the workload and having more visibility on election day. Given the paranoia about mail-in voting this year, one would think/hope that those who choose to do this will be sending them in well-ahead of time to reduce the chance that they are not counted.

I am getting more anxious by the day about what things are going to be like in early November. There are very clearly two different versions of the truth and a complete lack of trust between the two sides. I do not see any good end game here. I really wish we could be united as one country - this has gone way beyond campaigning.