Page 1280 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 280780118012301270127812791280128112821290 ... LastLast
Results 25,581 to 25,600 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    For the rest of our lives? I don't think so. For the next election cycle or two? Probably. our nation has gotten through some tough times and we will get through this.

Impeachment and distraction

Much has been made over the fact that Impeachment will be a large distraction to Biden's early presidency. I actually have a contrarian view.

At this point in time both sides of the aisle want to have some sort of investigation about the insurrectionists and what lead up to it, perceived election issues. Therefore, early in Biden's presidency there would have been several congressional task forces set up to investigate these items (at least 4, 2 in the senate and 2 in the house on the 2 different topics). They would have been lead by folks on both sides of the aisle seeking to discover the "facts". Most likely (I would place this at 95% likely) they would have looked like Rep. McCarthy's one-day hearing on election "fraud" that occurred in December. That is, "witnesses" presenting opinions with no need to show proof and the folks running the hearing yelling at each other. Essentially a huge waste of time.

All of this effort is now focused in an Impeachment "trial" with Chief Justice Roberts overseeing the proceedings. It will still be political but there will be a more orderly process to present proof and the lawyers on both sides will make sure that the information is not baseless hearsay (so will Roberts). Unlike wasteful hearings there will also be a decision made at the end one way or the other (unlike typical congressional hearings).

So, if the Impeachment "trial" takes a long time (2-3 months even) it will be a focused effort with a set of rules and a conclusion, rather than the waste of time and greater distraction of what would have been inevitable partisan hearings.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Much has been made over the fact that Impeachment will be a large distraction to Biden's early presidency. I actually have a contrarian view.

At this point in time both sides of the aisle want to have some sort of investigation about the insurrectionists and what lead up to it, perceived election issues. Therefore, early in Biden's presidency there would have been several congressional task forces set up to investigate these items (at least 4, 2 in the senate and 2 in the house on the 2 different topics). They would have been lead by folks on both sides of the aisle seeking to discover the "facts". Most likely (I would place this at 95% likely) they would have looked like Rep. McCarthy's one-day hearing on election "fraud" that occurred in December. That is, "witnesses" presenting opinions with no need to show proof and the folks running the hearing yelling at each other. Essentially a huge waste of time.

All of this effort is now focused in an Impeachment "trial" with Chief Justice Roberts overseeing the proceedings. It will still be political but there will be a more orderly process to present proof and the lawyers on both sides will make sure that the information is not baseless hearsay (so will Roberts). Unlike wasteful hearings there will also be a decision made at the end one way or the other (unlike typical congressional hearings).

So, if the Impeachment "trial" takes a long time (2-3 months even) it will be a focused effort with a set of rules and a conclusion, rather than the waste of time and greater distraction of what would have been inevitable partisan hearings.
    Appreciate the contrarian view. And excellent point (the bolded).

Harold Bornstein, that long-haired doctor who wrote Trump's bill of health, has passed away.

There's actually a lot in that article that I did not know about Trump and his medical records. Weird stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Pretty sure their doors are closed to Americans right now for exactly these reasons.
    I like the thought of New Zealand ... no dangerous snakes like the ones in Australia and/or the necktie wearing "bipedal" types we have here.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Are we still allowed to pile on Rudy, Sydney, and Lin?
    Well...

Yeah, go for it! But try to be at least little bit measured.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by bludev View Post
    I like the thought of New Zealand ... no dangerous snakes like the ones in Australia and/or the necktie wearing "bipedal" types we have here.
    Check out Jacinda Arden Poppins from one of the NZ satire shows (spitting image). I'm sold!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Lol, when I was in grad school the law school was the next building over. I know that because they had the more interesting mixers...
    our grad school had its own wee house for keg parties every thursday, they even had an unofficial cannabinoid bar IIRC.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    How to be a Republican Senator, go with your conscience, and maybe avoid making lots of your constituents not like you.

How many votes are required to convict Trump?
    Great question! Conviction requires 2/3 of those present. If all 100 senators are present, that's 67 senators. Assuming those two Georgians are seated, that means there are 50 senators from each party and 17 Republicans would be required.
    However! Pay close attention to the rules, which require 2/3 of those present. If those two Democrats from Georgia are not yet seated, it might require 66 senators. If some number of Republicans didn't want to vote against Trump but also didn't want to vote to convict, they could skip the vote and change the ratio. That kind of thing has been known to happen, although not during impeachment proceedings.
    Interesting thought.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/13/polit...eps/index.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Are we still allowed to pile on Rudy, Sydney, and Lin?
    So we have a woman named Sidney and a guy named Lin in this morass, no wonder it's so hard to figure where reality starts and stops.

Really interesting Politico article with opinions from impeachment legal scholars about what Trump's second impeachment means for the future: https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...olitics-459184

I found this line particularly significant:

if the Senate does not determine by a two-thirds majority that the president’s actions leading up to, during, and after January 6, 2021 constitute high crimes and misdemeanors, it’s difficult to conceive of the relevance of impeachment itself as a mechanism for presidential accountability in future administrations. This is tragic, as the Framers unequivocally intended impeachment to have real force.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ummmm... it sure seems like Colorado Congresswoman Lauren Boebert (who was the one tweeting about Pelosi's location during the capitol siege) had a pretty good idea of what was coming the morning of Jan 6th: https://twitter.com/donwinslow/statu...16708084547585

Interesting and contradictory comments by Alan Dershowitz quoted here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...an-dershowitz/

In sum, he says that Trump cannot be tried in the Senate after leaving office and that his best strategy would be to ignore the proceedings and go to the Supreme Court for a ruling that the Senate does not have the power to try him once he’s left office.

I quote this here not because Dershowitz is the best legal thinker out there (he’s not), but because it is representative of something I don’t think is helpful: lawyers asserting their positions in the press as if they we rock solid legal principles, instead of just one guy’s opinion (albeit a famous and arguably accomplished guy). Lawyers and plenty of non-lawyers understand he’s just pushing a point of view, but how many people read these conclusory statements and think the point is settled law? Stuff like this leads people like Trump and his supporters to believe that the VP has rights in the certification process that the VP does not have, to mention just the most recent example.

I also mentioned Dershowitz contradicted himself. He’s quoted saying he wouldn’t defend Trump in Congress, because he’s a lawyer not an actor. He’s suggesting a lawyer would not represent a client in front of a body that does not have jurisdiction to hear a case. And yet he’s advocating on his behalf in the court of public opinion!

Dershowitz was by all accounts a good crim law prof. He does not get as good marks for his acting.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    However! Pay close attention to the rules, which require 2/3 of those present. If those two Democrats from Georgia are not yet seated, it might require 66 senators. If some number of Republicans didn't want to vote against Trump but also didn't want to vote to convict, they could skip the vote and change the ratio.
    Well, I learned something today. I was going to suggest that Senators can also vote "Present", which would not record a specific vote either way, but also would not change the ratio. However, the Senate rules require the abstaining Senator to give a reason for the abstention, and the rest of the chamber determines, by vote without discussion or debate, whether or not the reason given is sufficient to permit an abstention.

Apparently, it's pretty difficult to be present but not voting once a vote is called. I certainly did not know that until I tried to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ummmm... it sure seems like Colorado Congresswoman Lauren Boebert (who was the one tweeting about Pelosi's location during the capitol siege) had a pretty good idea of what was coming the morning of Jan 6th: https://twitter.com/donwinslow/statu...16708084547585
    My guess is that she is not the only one, but finding evidence of it is usually hard. That's pretty damning right there.

Quote Originally Posted by bludev View Post
    There are venomous snakes in NZ coastal waters, the yellow sea snake and the yellow lipped krait. Both species are highly venomous but luckily uncommon.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    My guess is that she is not the only one, but finding evidence of it is usually hard. That's pretty damning right there.
    I hope that those in charge of committee assignments at the very least don't give her and other similar mouthpieces a seat on any of them.
    If they are not going to be expelled, at least shun them, and assign them a corner to sit in.

Added thought. The #1 job of a congress member is to raise money for the party. I hope that job becomes near impossible for her.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Not to mention the people she was photographed with the day before flashing white power signs and arrested for having been in the Capitol on the 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Not to mention the people she was photographed with the day before flashing white power signs and arrested for having been in the Capitol on the 6th.
    That photo was actually taken in 2019. (Still upsetting, though.)
    https://www.9news.com/article/news/v...7-8da2efdebf97

Here's more from the Denver Post.

On Jan. 2 she wrote: “Great words with President Trump tonight. Get ready, y’all!”

Two days before the insurrection she wrote: “Remember these next 48 hours. These are some of the most important days in American history.”
    On the day of the insurrection, she wrote: “Today is 1776.”
    https://www.denverpost.com/2021/01/1...ost-editorial/

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    From the Inevitable File — Trump to stiff Rudy on his fees:

https://twitter.com/mrwaltershapiro/...971528705?s=21
    Based on what I've seen reported, I would say Trump got his money's worth.