Page 398 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 298348388396397398399400408448498898 ... LastLast
Results 7,941 to 7,960 of 26103
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The article mentions her home state as a strength, but I don't think Joe needs help shoring up California in the general.
    Yep. A turnip could be the nominee, and California would still vote for it. I think Harris is destined for a big cabinet post, should Joe win, or (and probably more likely) Attorney General. And until he does, she will be a valuable mouthpiece.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm not concerned about capping it, I'm offering that as a solution to actually doing what they ought to do.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adammin.../#431cf1dd630d

I'm objecting to limiting it to federal student loans for public colleges. If you're forgiving federal student loans for people making under $125k per year, just do it regardless of the school they attended. If you think that costs too much, then cap the amount but still do it across the board. I'm not sure why someone who comes out of NC State with $25k in federal loans should have it wiped out, but someone who comes out of (for example) Guilford College with $25k in federal loans gets to keep paying theirs.
    Ah, gotcha. I agree with you there. Doesn't make much sense, but frankly this has no chance of passing anyways with the current congressional makeup. I would bet those restrictions are in place to appeal to the "everyman."

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That was fast. Biden actively courting Sanders's supporters by releasing a couple of proposals on the progressive end of the spectrum.

Biden shed any pretense about his need to win over Bernie Sanders voters when he announced a pair of proposals Thursday aimed at assuaging wary progressives: lowering the Medicare eligibility age from 65 to 60 years old, and forgiving all student debt for low- and middle-income people who attended public colleges and universities, as well as those who attended private Historically Black Colleges and Universities and other institutions that serve minority students.
    I agree with others that this likely would have been a stronger proposal if the loan forgiveness was for all schools. The carve-out for HBCU's might be showing some love to minority voters, but it also fires up Trump's base - these are the types of policies that really seem to upset Trump's core voters. Correct me if I'm wrong but they tend not to like identity politics, and the stereotypical unemployed blue collar worker particularly resents special programs to benefit other groups.

I also don't see Harris as a viable VP candidate. Though to those who say that her background as a prosector is one of her major negatives, Klobuchar (who I generally think is a great match for Biden) is also a former prosecutor, so she will face some of the same challenges.

I just can't see Harris as the #1 choice...
    The article seems to put a lot of weight on Biden's "I'm coming for you, kid," as evidence he could pick her as his running mate. I think that's a hint that he's going to pick her for AG if he wins. Which now I see other folks have already said.

There's already been a good bit of politicking around the administration's COVID-19 response. By Trump, most notably, and by some Democratic groups and never-Trump Republican groups that have spent on ads. Now, GOP is going in for $1M praising Trump's response.

Somewhat related but there is more and more evidence that the various stimulus relief measures to SBAs (PPA, EIDL, etc) were massively over-promised and now being walked back due to delays and an inability to deliver. If that doesn't get remedied - and fast - it will open up another front for Dems to attack.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'll take that pie bet, but you have to arrange for two elections to prove you are right.
    Welp, now that Biden is the presumptive nominee, it's time to make those pie bets, Biden backers!

CB&B - If Biden wins the Presidency, you get a pie from me. If Trump wins the Presidency, I get a pie from you. If, for whatever reason (and I don't believe it's likely at all), Biden is not the nominee, our bet is canceled.

Are we agreed?

Who else wants in on this action?

I will accept up to 5 bets. It's not exactly first-come, first-served but close to it. I reserve the right to make a determination of whether I would get paid if I win the bet based on spork-count, if we've had a friendly relationship, gut instinct, etc.

But I want my 5 pies.

Also, if cato wants in, he automatically gets one of the slots. I took a pie from him in the 2018 midterms. It's only fair that he should get a chance to take a pie from me in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Welp, now that Biden is the presumptive nominee, it's time to make those pie bets, Biden backers!

CB&B - If Biden wins the Presidency, you get a pie from me. If Trump wins the Presidency, I get a pie from you. If, for whatever reason (and I don't believe it's likely at all), Biden is not the nominee, our bet is canceled.

Are we agreed?

I will accept up to 5 bets. It's not exactly first-come, first-served but close to it. I reserve the right to make a determination of whether I would get paid if I win the bet based on spork-count, if we've had a friendly relationship, gut instinct, etc.

But I want my 5 pies.

Also, if cato wants in, he automatically gets one of the slots. I took a pie from him in the 2018 midterms. It's only fair that he should get a chance to take a pie from me in 2020.
    Not willing to bet a pie as I have no horse in the race and honestly think it's a coin-flip. But I am curious as to your seeming surety. Is it more confidence in Trump (or his platform/base) or is it more doubt in Biden (or his platform/base)?

Are we agreed?

But I want my 5 pies.

Trump either will get re-elected, or he won't. So it's 50/50, statistically speaking.

(Somewhere, Kedsy's head just exploded. Literally.)

(And now, Jim Sumners' head did as well.)

(Apologies for the over-use of parentheticals)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Trump either will get re-elected, or he won't. So it's 50/50, statistically speaking.

(And now, Jason Evans' head did as well)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Except some on both sides would argue that we aren't playing with a fair coin, with some of the reasons for that being more institutional than others. And I think that it is the severity of those weights that will ultimately decide the election.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Not willing to bet a pie as I have no horse in the race and honestly think it's a coin-flip. But I am curious as to your seeming surety. Is it more confidence in Trump (or his platform/base) or is it more doubt in Biden (or his platform/base)?
    No one has dared to take the bet sans explanation. Why would I dissuade anyone further?

I want my 5 pies!

Two additional posters have repeatedly crossed the line and will now be permanently banned from this thread and the Congressional election thread. If you see any post by Throatybeard or by Golfinesquire please immediately report it to the moderator team for deletion.

I am sorry it has come to this but we all must obey the rules of the thread to dispassionately discuss the horse race.

-Jason "they join Left Hook Lacy on the list of those permanently banned from this thread" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Are we agreed?

But I want my 5 pies.

You gotta remind me of what I was willing to bet on, lol. And it seems that I had a two election stipulation about something.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    You gotta remind me of what I was willing to bet on, lol. And it seems that I had a two election stipulation about something.
    I'm not sure, either, but what about the bet as stated in bold above? Biden wins, you get pie from me. Trump wins, I get pie from you.

Deal?

I'm not sure, either, but what about the bet as stated in bold above? Biden wins, you get pie from me. Trump wins, I get pie from you.

Deal?
    No way, lol. Pie bets in my mind are reserved for something truly extraordinaire, and this is more of a 50/50 proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    There's already been a good bit of politicking around the administration's COVID-19 response. By Trump, most notably, and by some Democratic groups and never-Trump Republican groups that have spent on ads. Now, GOP is going in for $1M praising Trump's response.

Somewhat related but there is more and more evidence that the various stimulus relief measures to SBAs (PPA, EIDL, etc) were massively over-promised and now being walked back due to delays and an inability to deliver. If that doesn't get remedied - and fast - it will open up another front for Dems to attack.
    Putting the cart before the horse. We've still got a long way to go before this is over...and a long way to go before the election. The last thing you want is a replay of GW Bush's "Mission Accomplished".

Every election year has a number of major surprises, and this one will have more than most. Seems like a fool's errand to try and predict what's going to happen in November...just grab the popcorn...

Following up on some of the "where's Biden" comments, he has an op-ed in today's NY Times titled "My Plan to Safely Reopen America". The Times refers to him as "the presumptive Democratic nominee for President". There is nothing particularly unexpected in it - he takes a fair number of shots at Trump though that isn't the core of the piece. I think he is still trying to figure out how to make himself visible and relevant without being seen as solely taking shots at Trump.

Klobuchar became my favorite early on but her campaign couldn’t pick up enough steam to sustain a run. I am hopeful Biden will select her as his running mate.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Klobuchar became my favorite early on but her campaign couldn’t pick up enough steam to sustain a run. I am hopeful Biden will select her as his running mate.
    Yes, as Elizabeth Warren opined after dropping out, "It turns out there were only two lanes in the race [a progressive lane and a moderate lane], and they were both occupied."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013