Page 344 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 244294334342343344345346354394444844 ... LastLast
Results 6,861 to 6,880 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Bernie is absolutely not going to be VP for a President who does not share his fundamental principles. As far as calling this "my way or the highway," well, I think that's a tad harsh. A Prez and VP ought to be pretty compatible on major issues (not that all of them have been, by any means) and he's simply not going to back policies (as a VP should) he doesn't believe in. Like him or not, it's a fairly principled stand. VPs don't get to influence much of anything.

I guess I just don't really subscribe to the notion that Bernie as VP is going to inspire a whole lot of his supporters.
    Everyone says they don't want the job, but hardly anyone turns it down.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Michelle Obama is the most liked and respected person on earth. She is not qualified to be President.
    I also believe her when she says she has no interest in ever being a politician herself. She did her duty as First Lady, and can give a hell of a speech, but her distaste for politics and most of the people in it is real.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Michelle would likely win in a landslide. Her favorables are around 70%. Yes, they would come down if she got in, but I suspect she would still win the race fairly comfortably.
    I honestly can't tell if you're being serious or silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I honestly can't tell if you're being serious or silly.
    I don't feel comfortable saying she'd win in a landslide but there are really strong arguments for a MO victory if she were to run. Obama (2012) and HRC (2016) both received ~65M total votes so let's start there and say MO would maintain those total Dem turnout levels. Total African American voting fell from 2012 to 2016 by ~800,000 and their turnout rates dropped significantly. When BO ran, African American turnout rates were higher than white turnout rates (obviously totals are different). She's as if not more popular than her husband in the AfAm community and would easily get that 800K - 1M black votes back in the game. That alone would probably do it if everything else stayed the same --- supressed AfAm turnout in places like Detroit were a reason Trump won MI.

As others have noted, she's regularly rated as one of the most popular figures in both America and in the world. Her admiration ratings among younger generations are particularly high. There's a strong case she'd be able to match Millennial and Gen Z turnout rates of her husband but probably surpass them since more of those voters are coming on board.

Sure, there are plenty of folks who don't like her or her husband and be angry if she ran but that doesn't take away from her really compelling case.

Melania is more popular than Donald. Doesn’t mean she would get more votes if she ran instead of him.

I am not sure how folks could project a win by Michelle O without knowing a single part of her supposed platform. The Dem candidates (especially Bernie, Warren and Kamala Harris) spent the whole first debate attacking the Obama legacy as is so she can’t just run on that legacy either.

ANY attempt to bypass Bernie ends poorly for the Dems. It just does. Ask Hillary, who still harbors resentment about it.

Everyone says they don't want the job, but hardly anyone turns it down if it is publically offered to them.
    FIFY.

We covered this upthread. The original version of the statement just isn't true, historically. I have every confidence that Bernie would turn down the VP job if someone came to him and asked behind closed doors. If they didn't ask him privately before they posed the question publically, he'd probably turn it down for that reason alone.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Melania is more popular than Donald. Doesn’t mean she would get more votes if she ran instead of him.

I am not sure how folks could project a win by Michelle O without knowing a single part of her supposed platform. The Dem candidates (especially Bernie, Warren and Kamala Harris) spent the whole first debate attacking the Obama legacy as is so she can’t just run on that legacy either.

ANY attempt to bypass Bernie ends poorly for the Dems. It just does. Ask Hillary, who still harbors resentment about it.
    This sorta reminds me of the talk among my friends about Colin Powell running for President in 1996. He had just completed four years of service as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the senior military advisor to the President. The Dems had just lost the House, and Clinton's future looked questionable. Many of us knew Colin from the Pentagon -- and thought the world of him. I told my friends they were crazy -- electoral politics is a tough and nasty business. You have to pay your dues and learn how to tolerate a lot of really bad stuff.

Powell eventually squelched the conversation, saying Alma was opposed, but I really think he knew that running for President was not his kind of gig.

Yeah, there's Eisenhower. But we are allowed to have an exception to the "no amateurs" rule, aren't we?
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Yeah, there's Eisenhower. But we are allowed to have an exception to the "no amateurs" rule, aren't we?
    Yes there is. That’s why I’m still predicting a Rock & Oprah ticket to appear soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Yes there is. That’s why I’m still predicting a Rock & Oprah ticket to appear soon.
    I mean, Trump has to be Exhibit A exception to the rule, right? He’s been a public figure all his life but never a politician or any sort of public sector figure. Bloomberg certainly taking a swing.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    So do we call them the Bernie Broskis?

Sen. Bernie Sanders said Friday that his campaign was briefed about Russian efforts to help his presidential campaign, intensifying concerns about the Kremlin's role in the US presidential race.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/21/polit...nce/index.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I mean, Trump has to be Exhibit A exception to the rule, right? He’s been a public figure all his life but never a politician or any sort of public sector figure. Bloomberg certainly taking a swing.
    Should have mentioned Trump, although he has been a public figure since the 1970's and was a hugely successful reality-show host.

Eisenhower, of course, was in public service for nearly 40 years before running for president.

Hoover was another president who never had a prior elected office. He did serve eight years as Secretary of Commerce under Harding and Coolidge, and had become a public figure when he headed up the relief mission for about 100,000 Americans trapped in Europe after the onset of the Great War. He had made a fortune in mining and was living in London.

Neither Grant nor Zachary Taylor had been in elective office, but other generals had -- G. Washington elected to the House of Burgesses and William Henry Harrison was in and out of politics sandwiched around military assignments.

John Quincy Adams served in the U.S. Senate but was elected by the Mass. legislature not by popular vote.
    Sage Grouse

Bloomberg is now saying that 3 of the women who signed NDAs are free to talk about the settlements.

A senior Bloomberg adviser tells CNN that the woman behind one of the three NDAs is Sekiko Garrison, who accused Bloomberg in the 1990s of repeatedly saying crass things in the workplace. Bloomberg spokesman Stu Loeser has said that Bloomberg "did not make any of the statements alleged in the Sekiko Garrison case."

Garrison's lawyer, Neal Brickman, has not responded to requests for comment.

According to the adviser, the other two NDAs did not result from lawsuits, but rather complaints. The adviser would not say anything about the identify of the women covered by those agreements.

The adviser also stated that there are certainly other lawsuits about gender discrimination or sexual harassment at the company, but again, only three have been identified as accusing Bloomberg for saying inappropriate things.

Separately, a campaign aide said Bloomberg had been "thinking about this as a CEO, and then decided to think about it as a person."
    If he was going to do this then he should have done it at the first debate. Cleaning up a disaster is far worse than avoiding the disaster in the first place.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Not sure if I am misreading you but Bloomberg spent 12 years as a very public figure, as mayor of the largest city in America. As points of comparison, Clinton was elected president after being governor of Arkansas, which has less than half the population of New York City. And the combined populations of Vermont (Sanders), South Bend (Pete), and Minnesota or Mass (Klobuchar/Warren), is also less than New York City.

To your point, he did a really lousy job of promoting this - I didn't watch the whole debate but the only part of his time as mayor that I saw discussed was stop and frisk. There is a school of thought that executive experience (mayor, governor, even a CEO like Trump) is a lot more valuable than being a senator, where you can introduce bills and you have to decide what you are voting for but you aren't really running anything. One could argue that Bernie has this experience from his time as mayor, even though Burlington is half the size of South Bend.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Not sure if I am misreading you but Bloomberg spent 12 years as a very public figure, as mayor of the largest city in America. As points of comparison, Clinton was elected president after being governor of Arkansas, which has less than half the population of New York City. And the combined populations of Vermont (Sanders), South Bend (Pete), and Minnesota or Mass (Klobuchar/Warren), is also less than New York City.
    My original point was that electoral politics is its own kind of beast -- and running for high office as your first move is a really big first step.

Your other point, I suppose, is that being Mayor of NYC is better preparation than being governor of a small state like Arkansas. I suppose it depends on the person, but New York City is one of a kind, and I am not sure how well it translates to national office. Anyway, we have no data. New York has been the largest city in the country from the beginning, and no mayor has ever become President, although DeWitt Clinton came close to beating James Madison in 1812.
    Sage Grouse

My original point was that electoral politics is its own kind of beast -- and running for high office as your first move is a really big first step.

Your other point, I suppose, is that being Mayor of NYC is better preparation than being governor of a small state like Arkansas. I suppose it depends on the person, but New York City is one of a kind, and I am not sure how well it translates to national office. Anyway, we have no data. New York has been the largest city in the country from the beginning, and no mayor has ever become President, although DeWitt Clinton came close to beating James Madison in 1812.
    I'm not saying that being mayor of NYC is better or worse preparation than being governor of a state like Arkansas, but I am saying that it should not be discounted. It is a huge job, with a lot of votes required to put you in office then a lot of different constituencies to please once you are in office (I know that to the rest of the country NYC might look like one big homogeneous liberal voting block but it definitely is not, especially when it comes to local issues).

I don't take the fact that an NYC mayor, or the mayor of almost any other city, has never been president to mean anything. Interestingly, the only former mayors to be president are Andrew Johnson (Greenville, TN), Grover Cleveland (Buffalo) and Coolidge (Northampton, Mass). There have been 58 presidential elections to date. Any "trend" that one derives from any of this is statistically insignificant. There are so many different factors that go into this, many of which were point in time in a country that is constantly evolving (or devolving, depending on your perspective).

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Cleaning up a disaster is far worse than avoiding the disaster in the first place.
    “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
    Bob Green

“A stitch in time saves nine.”

This sorta reminds me of the talk among my friends about Colin Powell running for President in 1996. He had just completed four years of service as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the senior military advisor to the President. The Dems had just lost the House, and Clinton's future looked questionable. Many of us knew Colin from the Pentagon -- and thought the world of him. I told my friends they were crazy -- electoral politics is a tough and nasty business. You have to pay your dues and learn how to tolerate a lot of really bad stuff.

Powell eventually squelched the conversation, saying Alma was opposed, but I really think he knew that running for President was not his kind of gig.

Powell also did not command the largest and most covered theater in a world war. Eisenhower did.

Everyone says they don't want the job, but hardly anyone turns it down.
    I propose a bet wherein if Bernie takes the VP slot, I wear a Tarheel shirt in public for a week...if he declines, you do it...deal? I want pictures!
    (not gonna be offered anyway, if Joe or Pete gets the nod, I expect a female VP candidate)...

I still think the premise of a VP choice as a "vote getter" does not hold water. Presidential candidates want compatibility...when was the last time we saw an ideologically different "vote getter" nominated as VP?
    Most (on both sides) have been close to non entities in that regard...Quayle? Cheney? Gore? Biden? Lieberman? Edwards? Ryan? McCain tried something of a Hail Mary with Sarah Palin I guess...

I can think of few jobs that Bernie would want less than being VP for a candidate with whom he does not politically align (to a great extent). Senator for life from VT is a better gig (he probably doesn't have too many more terms left in the tank).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I propose a bet wherein if Bernie takes the VP slot, I wear a Tarheel shirt in public for a week...if he declines, you do it...deal? I want pictures!
    (not gonna be offered anyway, if Joe or Pete gets the nod, I expect a female VP candidate)...

I still think the premise of a VP choice as a "vote getter" does not hold water. Presidential candidates want compatibility...when was the last time we saw an ideologically different "vote getter" nominated as VP?
    Most (on both sides) have been close to non entities in that regard...Quayle? Cheney? Gore? Biden? Lieberman? Edwards? Ryan? McCain tried something of a Hail Mary with Sarah Palin I guess...
    Your bet does not really work because we will never know if Bernie was offered and declined behind closed doors. You can bet it would never be leaked if that did happen as it would really spell doom for the nominee as it would make it even harder to get Bernie's supporters on board.

As for VPs being ideologically different to balance out a ticket, I think your memory is really off.

• Pence was chosen to give Trump help with the traditional GOP folks and the evangelicals. There was a real threat of an evangelical revolt until Pence was named.
    • Biden may have been ideologically similar to Obama, but was certainly seen as an experienced balance to Obama's relative youth and inexperience.
    • Palin was a major league nod to the conservative wing of the party when the moderate McCain got the nomination.
    • Kemp and Quayle were both conservatives to balance out the relatively moderate Dole and Bush.
    • Before that, Bush was a moderate to balance out the staunch conservative Reagan.

It seems to happen more with Republicans than Democrats, though that may be because the Dems have so consistently tries to jog to the middle versus appeasing the left wing. Now that we are at an inflection point where that seems important to a potential victory, I am fairly confident we will not see two moderate, old school establishment Dems headlining the ticket. Sanders is the standard bearer of the liberal wing and I suspect there will at least be a discussion about VP if he is not the nominee.

-Jason "of all the folks currently in the field, assuming Bernie does not want it, I think Warren may be the most likely VP choice... feisty in a debate with lots of liberal cred and a tireless campaigner" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?