Page 81 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283911311815811081 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Isn't there a letter missing? Do any of these letters/words fit folks who identify as "non-binary"? So maybe we should look to buy an "N" ... and now that there are some vowels to work with (I, A) perhaps an easier-to-pronounce acronym will form and gain currency.
    With conundrums like this, it is not a mystery why some folks support Trump.

Not that I disagree, mind you. But look at this whole nomenclature issue from Trump’s base (predominantly white, rural, high-school educated, older guy who is a regular church-goer). What does “Make America Great Again” mean? Part of it is — enough of this stuff.

(My post is obviously not aimed at my friend Reilly, hope that is assumed from me).

Boy the way Glen Miller played
    Songs that made the hit parade.
    Guys like us we had it made,
    Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
    Girls were girls and men were men,
    Mister we could use a man
    Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
    Everybody pulled his weight.
    Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
    Those were the days.

^^ the great (no doubt intended) irony, of course, was that Herbert Hoover was a closet cross-dresser. But I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Gotta be a typo. The latest is LGBTQIA. https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...602-story.html
    M is a thing, Metrosexual.

I believe they have standardized on LGBTQ+

I was joking with a friend last year that someone is trolling them telling them they left out this group or that group and they keep adding letters to appease.

Without a U, doing something with the Q is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ^^ the great (no doubt intended) irony, of course, was that Herbert Hoover was a closet cross-dresser. But I digress.
    Umm.. I think that J. Edgar Hoover was the cross-dresser with closeted tendencies. If Herbert was into that type of thing he kept it much closer to the vest
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Umm.. I think that J. Edgar Hoover was the cross-dresser with closeted tendencies. If Herbert was into that type of thing he kept it much closer to the vest
    Okay, I’m blaming the gin and tonics n that one. Or as Rick Perry would say — oops.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Without a U, doing something with the Q is difficult.
    ABIGLTQ -- such as, will he break another quarterback's leg?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    M is a thing, Metrosexual.

I believe they have standardized on LGBTQ+

I was joking with a friend last year that someone is trolling them telling them they left out this group or that group and they keep adding letters to appease.
    Old timer Peter Yarrow was here over the winter and kept jokingly but kindly referring to "LGBT-WXYZ."

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'Yeah, THAT Peter Yarrow -- "Puff," etc.'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Old timer Peter Yarrow was here over the winter and kept jokingly but kindly referring to "LGBT-WXYZ."

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'Yeah, THAT Peter Yarrow -- "Puff," etc.'
    They are the voices of my childhood - my father was a huge Peter, Paul and Mary fan and sang their songs to me at bedtime.

Unfortunately, Yarrow was recently in the news regarding an incident that happened 50 years ago. Though he is taking a slightly different approach to the situation than many others currently facing similar accusations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/04/n...-canceled.html

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The only thing I have seen in South Florida, in my area that includes Deerfield Beach, Pompano Beach, Lighthouse Point and Fort Lauderdale is Trump items.
    Oh, hey. Do you happen to like horses and Whoopie Pies? Because I'll trade my pastures and Amish for a few (off-season) months at the beach! Why isn't your name Outdoor24/7? Indoor66 seems Pacific Northwest...

Not that I disagree, mind you. But look at this whole nomenclature issue from Trump’s base (predominantly white, rural, high-school educated, older guy who is a regular church-goer). What does “Make America Great Again” mean? Part of it is — enough of this stuff.
    Cuts both ways. Perhaps WRDASHSOC should become shorthand for a Trump base voter. Our country is alphabet soup, I do my best to pick a good beer to sit at everyone's table.

ABIGLTQ -- such as, will he break another quarterback's leg?
    How about ABIGLQT? Pronounced A Bigly Cutie. Or would Trump take umbrage at the appropriation of bigly?

(My post is obviously not aimed at my friend Reilly, hope that is assumed from me).

Boy the way Glen Miller played
    Songs that made the hit parade.
    Guys like us we had it made,
    Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
    Girls were girls and men were men,
    Mister we could use a man
    Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
    Everybody pulled his weight.
    Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
    Those were the days.

I recall a Time Magazine cover and some other stuff in the 2016 election in which Clinton was touting her LGBTQ support (I think I got some of it right this time! By the way, as inclusiveness continues, maybe a new marketing acronym is needed?)
    I was thinking to myself, how are the blue collar types in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania reacting to this appeal, might there be a "what about me?" kind of reaction? I think there was...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ... maybe a new marketing acronym is needed?)
    I was thinking to myself, how are the blue collar types in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania reacting to this appeal, might there be a "what about me?" kind of reaction? I think there was...
    This essay just landed in my inbox (from a weekly roundup of essays sent by Public Discourse): https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2019/07/54444/

It talks about marketing and possible backlash (from folks on all sides). I had not heard of this dust-up: "British chain Marks and Spencer (M&S) provides a recent example. In May, it launched a new “LGBT” sandwich, a play on the classic BLT that was filled with lettuce, guacamole, bacon, and tomato (reflecting the LGBT acronym), complete with rainbow-colored packaging. The promotion was not only ridiculed by those weary of the onslaught of rainbow-adorned merchandise; it also drew criticism from LGBT consumers who complained of opportunism and profiteering. M&S caused similar controversy with the launch of its “Rainbow Sandwich” in July 2018."

Opportunism/disingenuousness/insincerity is a charge leveled against politicians in all sorts of areas forever, and here is one more area it could come up.

Isn't there a letter missing? Do any of these letters/words fit folks who identify as "non-binary"? So maybe we should look to buy an "N" ... and now that there are some vowels to work with (I, A) perhaps an easier-to-pronounce acronym will form and gain currency.
    Except then it will change again as another group is identified or self-identifies.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I recall a Time Magazine cover and some other stuff in the 2016 election in which Clinton was touting her LGBTQ support (I think I got some of it right this time! By the way, as inclusiveness continues, maybe a new marketing acronym is needed?)
    You make a great point (sorry I can't spork you!). A large part of Trump winning in 2016 was the message (implied or not) that the Democrats were so busy helping the minorities, immigrants, etc. that they don't really care about you and your troubles, white, blue-collar Americans. And I feel like the Democrats are already setting themselves up for the same challenge, tripping over themselves to be the party of inclusion. Harris might get huge applause from core Democrats for knocking down Biden over how he dealt with diversity busing decades ago, but I'm not sure whether the swing voters you mentioned (who again I note are really the only ones who matter) look upon this favorably or not.

The Dems need to work a lot harder to make it clear that they are the party of "high tide raises all ships" rather than that helping minorities and helping non-minorities is a zero sum game. I definitely hear some of this, but not enough. Trump sees the world as one of winners and losers and us vs. them (and the Democrats have been increasingly following his lead). The Dems need to simultaneously counter this mentality while also increasing the size of their "us" group.

^ very well stated.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    You make a great point (sorry I can't spork you!). A large part of Trump winning in 2016 was the message (implied or not) that the Democrats were so busy helping the minorities, immigrants, etc. that they don't really care about you and your troubles, white, blue-collar Americans. And I feel like the Democrats are already setting themselves up for the same challenge, tripping over themselves to be the party of inclusion. Harris might get huge applause from core Democrats for knocking down Biden over how he dealt with diversity busing decades ago, but I'm not sure whether the swing voters you mentioned (who again I note are really the only ones who matter) look upon this favorably or not.

The Dems need to work a lot harder to make it clear that they are the party of "high tide raises all ships" rather than that helping minorities and helping non-minorities is a zero sum game. I definitely hear some of this, but not enough. Trump sees the world as one of winners and losers and us vs. them (and the Democrats have been increasingly following his lead). The Dems need to simultaneously counter this mentality while also increasing the size of their "us" group.
    Though I agree that some of this, I want to push back against this idea that I see in a lot of places that the only right strategy is to focus very heavily on white voters in midwestern swing states. That is a certainly a valid strategy, but it is not the only one:

1. Detroit is a city with a population of 600,000+ that is 80%+ black. Trump won Michigan by 10,000 votes. So a relatively minor increase in voter turnout in Michigan's largest city would give the state to Democrats (a 2% increase in turnout in Detroit would have done it in 2016).

2. Although it didn't really manifest itself in 2016, there have been polls (and the 2018 Senate race) hinting that Texas could be a swing state in the near future. Focusing on Texas would be a more high-risk high-reward strategy, but it's something that Democrats could at least consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    ... Detroit is a city with a population of 600,000+ that is 80%+ black. Trump won Michigan by 10,000 votes. So a relatively minor increase in voter turnout in Michigan's largest city would give the state to Democrats (a 2% increase in turnout in Detroit would have done it in 2016) ...
    That's a good point. Upthread, I recommended that the easiest path to victory for the Democrats would be to nominate a woman who ran to the middle, energizing female turnout for those who care about gender, while also capturing swing voters. Motivate women. Motivate the economically insecure. Now, you're saying motivate black voters. Maybe Kamala Harris could check the gender box and, as the daughter of an Indian mom and Jamaican dad, might motivate black voters in Detroit to turn out in larger numbers (the black turnout for Obama was higher than for Hillary, right?; and I actually have no idea how or if Kamala identifies herself in terms of race/color). That said, I'm guessing black voters in Detroit -- like white swing Midwestern voters -- want their pocketbook concerns understood and addressed and doubt they'd be especially motivated by a coastal elite focusing on social justice/inclusiveness issues to the exclusion of their feeling of being left behind and marginalized economically (and also perhaps being marginalized culturally, given the traditional, cultural conservatism in the historic black church). In short, to increase the turnout in Detroit, I think the advice being dispensed in this part of the thread by us armchair strategists applies equally to untapped Detroit voters as it does to the rural white voters -- understand and care about and try to address their economic concerns, and don't exhibit disdain for their cultural views.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

1. Detroit is a city with a population of 600,000+ that is 80%+ black. Trump won Michigan by 10,000 votes. So a relatively minor increase in voter turnout in Michigan's largest city would give the state to Democrats (a 2% increase in turnout in Detroit would have done it in 2016).
    Strengthening ones base is certainly a viable strategy that will not be ignored by the Trump Campaign. They will be working hard to maximize rural/suburban voter turnout in swing states such as Pennsylvania.

Upthread, I recommended that the easiest path to victory for the Democrats would be to nominate a woman who ran to the middle, energizing female turnout for those who care about gender, while also capturing swing voters. Motivate women. Motivate the economically insecure.
    Which candidate meets this criteria? Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar is currently polling at < 2%. It's early in a long race. Can she gain enough momentum to survive the early months?
    Bob Green

Actual headline from CNN: "Trump defends Pelosi, says she's not a racist"

Ocasio-Cortez told The Washington Post Wednesday Pelosi has been explicitly "singling out of newly elected women of color" in her criticism of the outspoken progressives. Asked by CNN's Manu Raju if she thought Pelosi was racist, the Queens congresswoman said: "No, no! Absolutely not, absolutely not."

Trump said Ocasio-Cortez "should not be doing what she's doing" adding she's being "very disrespectful to somebody that's been there a long time."
    "I don't think that Nancy can let that go on. A group of people that came ... I don't know where they came from," Trump said.
    If anybody has a time machine, I'd like to go back to 2016 to show the headline around a bit and mess with people.