Page 510 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 104104605005085095105115125205606101010 ... LastLast
Results 10,181 to 10,200 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    So the obvious question becomes, was he wearing it because he was at Walter Reed, or because he's had a change of opinion on the matter? I guess we'll stay tuned.
    Supposedly, his campaign has been looking for situations where he would have to wear a mask. They want to force him to do it because they know it is a helpful optic.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Supposedly, his campaign has been looking for situations where he would have to wear a mask. They want to force him to do it because they know it is a helpful optic.
    We’ll find out Wednesday in south Atlanta — where some are urging Governor Kemp to reimpose a Phase One lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Do people think that we've moved enough past George Floyd to get Harris back on the list? A month ago it was the death knell for her being selected.
    I don't see it.
    I thought it was Klobuchar who was out of the running because the officers who murdered George Floyd were in her sphere of influence.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I thought it was Klobuchar who was out of the running because the officers who murdered George Floyd were in her sphere of influence.
    YES! My mistake. Ooops.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

YES! My mistake. Ooops.
    Just making sure.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around every once in awhile, you could miss it.

Yes, I've been reading that...still TBD as to whether he continues to play along...somehow hard to believe...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I find this both interesting and telling. Much is hyped about how while Trump is behind in the polls, there as incredible enthusiasm for him that transcends what those polls are showing. Is it possible that's not the case? It obviously was in 2016, but maybe no longer.
    Well before the call was made to postpone President Donald Trump’s Saturday re-election rally in New Hampshire, the warning lights were flashing red.

There were no signs of the typical throngs of supporters camped out days in advance for a good spot; the Republican governor said he would skip it, advising anyone at high risk to stay home over coronavirus concerns; fears of a repeat of Tulsa’s disappointing turnout weighed heavily; and then came the stormy weather reports, which could have further stifled attendance.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...isers-n1233540

Now, of course Coronavirus could (and should!) play part in people's reluctance to stay away. It is literally impossible to know how his rallies would play out without that concern. But it is also possible that it is not just the virus, but also a weakened excitement. But blaming the weather was a bit of a ruse, I think.
    The campaign never said this rally was cancelled, they said it is postponed. But it is obvious they are very wary of how Tulsa looked, and the aftermath that it brought. Can't blame them for not wanting to replicate that experience.
    If I were the campaign, and planning any future rallies, I would not hold them in any states that he is not expected to dominate anyway. Go to Mississippi, go to Alabama. Show yourself off then to a national TV audience with the backdrop of a huge crowd. Someone in New Hampshire is still going to watch, they just won't witness it in person.
    Of course, there is always the chance that even in a deep red state, with cases spiking, you still don't get a crowd, and you get Tulsa all over again.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

^ I noted some of this yesterday, but be advised that it got me a wee ding from the authorities, which is OK. (yes, the rally had ALL the earmarks of something that was not going to go well).

Are you saying that his campaign manipulated him into wearing a mask? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ I noted some of this yesterday, but be advised that it got me a wee ding from the authorities, which is OK. (yes, the rally had ALL the earmarks of something that was not going to go well).
    I'd hope that since it came from an article posted by a respected news source that it will be allowed. It's a factor in the race, and a legit one. I was thinking of your comment when I posted it, and appreciate your "on the ground" observation.

It would be. Not just for his campaign, but for Americans in general. I will never bash anyone for doing the right thing. (Which I've seen a few of my liberal friends do, and it has left me shaking my head at the irony.)

I'd hope that since it came from an article posted by a respected news source that it will be allowed. It's a factor in the race, and a legit one. I was thinking of your comment when I posted it, and appreciate your "on the ground" observation.
    some of my other comments may have been overly partisan, and can't argue with that...but yes, days ahead of time (especially after Sununu said he wouldn't go) it became clear the rally was going to be a hard sell...I had really been hoping for another Sharpie moment, because the storm track story was a good one..

Latest CBSNews poll discussed here. Biden +6 in FL, tied in AZ, -1 in TX. All these states undergoing COVID surges.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...5l0?li=BBnb7Kz

Biden had overwhelming support, at 72 percent in Arizona, 67 percent in Florida and 68 percent in Texas, among voters who are "very concerned" about COVID-19, pollsters found.
    As COVID gets worse, as it appears it will, this is not good news for Trump. And what happens when the surging cases turn into surging deaths? At what number does the degree of separation become 0, where virtually everyone knows someone who has died?

Trump leads Biden among seniors in Florida by 8 points, at 50 percent support compared to Biden's 42 percent.
    And then his best demographic (outside of uneducated whites) are the ones dying. I don't think Florida is going to be that close in November.

About the only thing voters care about more than the economy is their lives. They don't make hearses with luggage racks (Don Henley).

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    As COVID gets worse, as it appears it will, this is not good news for Trump. And what happens when the surging cases turn into surging deaths? At what number does the degree of separation become 0, where virtually everyone knows someone who has died?
    As bad as things are getting, I think we're still a long way from that. I don't even think we're terribly close to everyone knowing someone who has tested positive yet (I was briefly tempted to mess around with some numbers to get a rough estimate of how many people would need to test positive for 50% of the population to be expected to know someone who tested positive, but not tempted enough to actually do it).

It would be. Not just for his campaign, but for Americans in general. I will never bash anyone for doing the right thing. (Which I've seen a few of my liberal friends do, and it has left me shaking my head at the irony.)
    Meanwhile, apparently discrediting Dr. Fauci is now a good optic as well?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-hou...184700526.html
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Meanwhile, apparently discrediting Dr. Fauci is now a good optic as well?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-hou...184700526.html
    Yeah...one doesn't look good compared to the other. I just posted the same article in the virus thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    As bad as things are getting, I think we're still a long way from that. I don't even think we're terribly close to everyone knowing someone who has tested positive yet (I was briefly tempted to mess around with some numbers to get a rough estimate of how many people would need to test positive for 50% of the population to be expected to know someone who tested positive, but not tempted enough to actually do it).
    I think you're wrong. Florida has about 300K cases now. Do you really think 15K/day is the peak? I don't. So by mid to late August we could have a million cases here. That's 1 in 20 people. I don't know about you, but I know a lot more than 20 people. And I'm a hermit.

I find this both interesting and telling. Much is hyped about how while Trump is behind in the polls, there as incredible enthusiasm for him that transcends what those polls are showing. Is it possible that's not the case? It obviously was in 2016, but maybe no longer.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...isers-n1233540

Now, of course Coronavirus could (and should!) play part in people's reluctance to stay away. It is literally impossible to know how his rallies would play out without that concern. But it is also possible that it is not just the virus, but also a weakened excitement. But blaming the weather was a bit of a ruse, I think.
    The campaign never said this rally was cancelled, they said it is postponed. But it is obvious they are very wary of how Tulsa looked, and the aftermath that it brought. Can't blame them for not wanting to replicate that experience.
    If I were the campaign, and planning any future rallies, I would not hold them in any states that he is not expected to dominate anyway. Go to Mississippi, go to Alabama. Show yourself off then to a national TV audience with the backdrop of a huge crowd. Someone in New Hampshire is still going to watch, they just won't witness it in person.
    Of course, there is always the chance that even in a deep red state, with cases spiking, you still don't get a crowd, and you get Tulsa all over again.
    Don't know why
    There's no sun up in the sky
    Stormy weather
    Since my man and I ain't together
    Keeps raining all of the time

Oh, yeah
    Life is bad
    Gloom and misery everywhere
    Stormy weather, stormy weather
    And I just can get my poor self together
    Oh, I'm weary all of the time
    The time, so weary all of the time

When he went away
    The blues walked in and met me
    Oh, yeah if he stays away
    Old rocking chair's gonna get me
    All I do is pray
    The Lord will let me
    Walk in the sun once more

Oh, I can't go on, can't go on, can't go on
    Everything I have is gone
    Stormy weather, stormy weather
    Since my man and I, me and my daddy ain't together
    Keeps raining all of the time
    Oh, oh, keeps raining all of the time
    Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah raining all of the time
    Stormy stormy
    Stormy weather
    — Etta James

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I think you're wrong. Florida has about 300K cases now. Do you really think 15K/day is the peak? I don't. So by mid to late August we could have a million cases here. That's 1 in 20 people. I don't know about you, but I know a lot more than 20 people. And I'm a hermit.
    Well, that's in Florida, but I wasn't talking specifically about Florida. Florida's new case rate is particularly bad right now, but doesn't extrapolate to the rest of the country. Also, the odds of any specific person not knowing someone with COVID at 1/20 isn't as low as you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Well, that's in Florida, but I wasn't talking specifically about Florida. Florida's new case rate is particularly bad right now, but doesn't extrapolate to the rest of the country. Also, the odds of any specific person not knowing someone with COVID at 1/20 isn't as low as you might think.
    Well, this is the Presidential thread, not the coronavirus thread, and my post was on the impact on the election. Florida, like The Clash, is the only state (band) that matters. Sure, a bit of hyperbole, but then so was The Clash.

You matter a bit in NC, as do others in PA, etc., but it generally acknowledged that FL is the point of no return for Trump. If you're in CA or OK, etc., for all intents and purposes you really don't matter in Presidential elections. But don't get me started on the Electoral College...