Page 213 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 1131632032112122132142152232633137131213 ... LastLast
Results 4,241 to 4,260 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Tulsi responds via Twitter, calls Clinton "the Queen of warmongers":

Attachment 9858
    Can't wait for the next one of those National Geographic specials that speculate how humanity will finally snuff itself out. Along with Gamma Ray burst, meteorite impact, global warming, viral outbreak and nuclear war, they should include "twitter feud". It would be a fitting sendoff for humanity methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Tulsi responds via Twitter, calls Clinton "the Queen of warmongers":

Attachment 9858
    Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yikes!
    You can use stronger language than that. That was a dressing down befitting a drill sergeant. Holy jamoly.

I think I said earlier upthread that Tulsi is one of the Dem candidates who is viewed favorably (or at least with something less than disdain) by elements on the right, and it is precisely because of how she's positioned herself on foreign policy matters. There's been some discussion in this thread on how Trump pulling out of Syria is going to hurt him in the election, but I don't see it. I see this issue of U.S. involvement in the middle east as akin to the immigration issue in that the elites of both parties are in general agreement but a decent chunk of the electorate feels differently. Now that Clinton has elevated Tulsi's profile (whether she did so intentionally or unintentionally is worth consideration) it will be interesting to see if Tulsi's views on international relations get more attention.

Another issue that could make things interesting over the next year is regulation of big business. Again, the elites have mostly been in agreement the past few decades but from a historical perspective it seems like the pendulum might be swinging the other way:

The Democratic Party is responding by getting more aggressive against monopoly power. In the Democratic debate in June, Democrats spent a few minutes on big tech and monopoly. This time, they did it again, with a twist. The moderators started by asking about Andrew Yang’s argument that automation, not monopoly power, is what matters. Pete Buttigieg has made this case as well, saying that automation, not offshoring via trading structures, led to job losses in the 2000s.

The counter-narrative is that problems in our economy are due not to trends that have existed since the 1700s, but to the central question of power. Elizabeth Warren, Amy Klobuchar, Bernie Sanders, and Cory Booker all took this side, arguing that monopolization in the business world is the key issue at hand. All of the major figures in the party, with the exception of Joe Biden, increasingly see our central economic challenge this way. Robert Bork came up twice in the debate, and Bork, while featuring prominently as a Supreme Court nominee, was an antitrust lawyer first and foremost.

Even Biden is sympathetic to antitrust. Biden himself is more driven by the environment around him, not any hard and fast principles, and he would like to rhetorically go after big tech and concentrations of corporate power if only because it sounds good. It doesn’t hurt that some of his main backers are from Comcast, and they hate Google. He’s reluctant, though, because one of his main advisors on antitrust, Terrell McSweeney, was on the Obama Federal Trade Commission, and she bears some responsibility for the lax antitrust record of the Democrats in that era. For example, while at the FTC, she supported a regulatory attack on the city of Seattle for trying to increase wages for Uber drivers. As it turns out, McSweeney’s view is causing tension on the Biden team. Nancy Scola of Politico writes as much, in a coded way, saying the topic is a “live issue” inside the campaign. But it’s what I’ve heard as well from multiple people close to Biden.

Wilson also broke up AT&T for the first time, established the Federal Trade Commission to stop anti-competitive practices, and appointed Louis Brandeis to the Supreme Court in 1916. Democrats were on the cusp of a New Deal, a genuine attack on monopolists. Unfortunately, World War One interrupted, delaying the restructuring of the American political order for another twenty years.

Today we’re in a similar situation as we were in the early 1900s, on the cusp of a major policy revolution. The wind is blowing strongly. From 1992-2012, antitrust didn’t warrant a mention in the Democratic platform (thank you Bill Clinton!) And then, in 2016, because of the new anti-monopoly movement, Democrats finally put something into their platform again. I was actually part of the group who worked to insert a provision; we tried to get something about big tech and data in there, but the Clinton campaign, which did inch towards antitrust, wouldn’t go that far. They wanted to focus on airlines and cable, the rumor was Sheryl Sandberg would be in Clinton’s cabinet.

By the 2020 debates, it is now axiomatic that we have to address the crisis of big tech. And the leading Democrat, Elizabeth Warren, wants to do that with a series of break-ups. In fact, she put that idea out there in March, and it has since become a normalized idea across the enforcement community. The right question isn’t whether what Warren suggested is too aggressive. The right question is when break-ups will become the moderate option. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear calls for jail time for some of the richest men in the country. The Sherman Act, after all, is a criminal statute.

Wonder if this will affect the Latino vote.

Two top officials with the Department of Housing and Urban Development admitted at a congressional hearing this week that the agency knowingly missed a legally required deadline that would have made desperately needed hurricane relief funding available to Puerto Rico.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hu...Fn7?li=BBnb7Kz

Despicable.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Modern political advertising.

On any given day, President Donald Trump’s campaign is plastering ads all over Facebook, YouTube and the millions of sites served by Google, hitting the kind of incendiary themes — immigrant invaders, the corrupt media — that play best on platforms where algorithms favor outrage and political campaigns are free to disregard facts.
    I remember how the story of the day was that Obama was bankrolling his campaign with small donations acquired through social media. Whatever the current platform may be (myspace, fb, twitter, etc), social media will likely be the goto target audience for the next few decades over TV (or whatever TV turns into).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-cam...162440744.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Modern political advertising.
    and political campaigns are free to disregard facts
    Nothing modern about that.

Smattering of Monday morning scuttle:

- Warren is promising to soon release a plan on how to pay for Medicare for All. I'm sure it was always in the works but development may have been accelerated after the beating she took at last week's debate. I'm mildly surprised she stuck with Medicare for All; she's been uncharacteristically evasive and was convinced she was planning to pivot on actual policy. But, if the plan goal is staying the same then it's the cost basis and she's been avoiding saying anything about raising taxes (middle class, that is). This will be big for the horse race.

- Mayor Pete and Klobuchar have apparently surged a bit in the polls. Buttigieg is a close 3rd in Iowa now.

- The State department concluded its investigation into the HRC email handling of staffers. Predictably, the results were filtered and blared out on the loudspeaker of conservative and liberal sites in very different ways. I believe 38 staffers were found to have mishandled information but the report identified “no persuasive evidence of systemic, deliberate mishandling of classified information.” It did note HRC's use of a private server increased information vulnerability. Soooo, one of the most parsed and consequential issue of the 2016 election ended not with a bang but a whimper.

- Trump cancelled his Doral/G7 hosting plans. I'm not sure what other decisions he could make to so clearly benefit his business while he's a public servant - and most people appear to agree - so it's politically prudent he cancelled, to say the least.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Nothing modern about that.
    Generally speaking, ads that ran on TV and radio were vetted and for the most part had to be true (people would argue their spin, of course). Facebook has stated they will not vet ads at all, so a campaign is free to blatantly promote falsehoods and conspiracy theory now. That's a difference.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I look forward to three days from now when Tusli Gabbard is back to being a nonstory, correlating to her actual irrelevance in the presidential race.

IMO, this is a key component of the horse race. I proposed this concept last week (post deleted) and here's Romney subsequently saying the same thing....

https://www.axios.com/romney-elizabe...3607b8a71.html

Buttigieg is making waves in Iowa. He's now in 3rd place there in polling. While national standing is important, that first election is going to be make or break for several candidates.

Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, who was initially seen as a long-shot presidential contender, has surged within striking distance of former vice president Joe Biden and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren in the first-in-the-nation Iowa caucuses, a Suffolk University/USA TODAY Poll finds.

Biden, long viewed as the Democratic frontrunner, is faltering in the wake of a debate performance last week that those surveyed saw as disappointing.

The poll, taken Wednesday through Friday, put Biden at 18%, Warren at 17% and Buttigieg at 13% among 500 likely Democratic caucusgoers.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/poll-iowa...080010013.html

Buttigieg is making waves in Iowa. He's now in 3rd place there in polling. While national standing is important, that first election is going to be make or break for several candidates.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/poll-iowa...080010013.html
    Buttigieg really is making a big move. Are most of his votes coming from Biden's decline?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Buttigieg really is making a big move. Are most of his votes coming from Biden's decline?
    Not really when you look at older Iowa polls.
    June 2-5 selzer had him at 14%.
    March 21-24 Emerson had him at 11%.
    A ton more examples where he is polling from 9-14% exist.

The media is just looking for a new storyline in this.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I look forward to three days from now when Tusli Gabbard is back to being a nonstory, correlating to her actual irrelevance in the presidential race.
    LOL.....harsh!

Castro says he's out unless he can raise 800K in 10 days. Booker did the same thing a while ago. I hate this as a fund raising ploy.
    Dear people with money...just say no! Cull the candidates!

Castro says he's out unless he can raise 800K in 10 days. Booker did the same thing a while ago. I hate this as a fund raising ploy.
    Really, this isn't that bad. Take a look at the Republicans and 2016.

There were 17 candidates. At this point (October) Perry and Walker has dropped out. With Jindal bailing in November and Graham and Pataki bowing out before New Years. So that was down from 17 to 12 at the start of Primary Season. Although a lot of Democrats are still "in the race" they aren't in the debates and they are in 0 qualifying polls. I think we can cross them off the list. That leaves us with 12 Democratic challengers.

The next debate in November currently has 8 candidates qualified. They have to have 165,000 donors and 3% in four polls or 5% in approved early state polls. There is a good chance we'll have a few more names drop off the list the next month as they don't qualify for November.

I think the DNC is doing a good job here. Forcing folks to spend early or go home. What we are seeing right now is those that can't raise the money and use that to move themselves in the polls are getting dropped automatically. Even if they stay in the race, if they aren't in the debate, aren't making any waves in the polls, who cares about em? At the moment they are about as relevant as the Republican challengers to Trump.

Well, he probably has $600K of the money locked up.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Not really when you look at older Iowa polls.
    June 2-5 selzer had him at 14%.
    March 21-24 Emerson had him at 11%.
    A ton more examples where he is polling from 9-14% exist.

The media is just looking for a new storyline in this.
    I don't have links to the polls that you posted, but out of curiosity, where were both Biden and Warren in each of those? Were they more than the 5 and 4 points away from Buttigieg than they are now?

I don't have links to the polls that you posted, but out of curiosity, where were both Biden and Warren in each of those? Were they more than the 5 and 4 points away from Buttigieg than they are now?
    Selzer had Biden +10 and warren +1 from mayor pete.

Emerson Biden +14, warren -2.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-primary-d/iowa/