Page 253 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 1532032432512522532542552633033537531253 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,060 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I agree with this and I am willing to be the sacrificial lamb. Attention wealthy people, feel free to dump your burden on me. I will take the heat for you.
    Thanks for a good laugh!

When I was starting out in my career, many of the most successful people frequently complained about their tax “problems”. I’ve spent my career trying to earn those “problems”. You have to make serious green, to owe serious green. IMO, those are great “problems”.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    This is why I drive a 17 year old Corolla. The folks pan handling at the interstate exits offer me money if I roll down my window.
    Thanks, that’s the hardest I’ve laughed in weeks!

My smartphone alerts and the Twitterverse are saying that Kamala Harris will be suspending her campaign today.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Kamala Harris... out! CNN sources say she has told staff she is withdrawing from the race. Public announcement coming up.

She was pretty much the frontrunner back in early summer... whew, quite a fall.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Kamala Harris... out! CNN sources say she has told staff she is withdrawing from the race. Public announcement coming up.

She was pretty much the frontrunner back in early summer... whew, quite a fall.
    Dangit! I was coming here to post.

The Democratic field is narrowing. Just keeping in the debates isn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Dangit! I was coming here to post.

The Democratic field is narrowing. Just keeping in the debates isn't enough.
    Wow. You're right, she was only 1 of 6 who had qualified for the December debate (add Steyer today).

My question, does she endorse? Tulsi, maybe ? She's held lately at about 5%, with the top 4 bunched she could have some influence. Biden may regret he forgot she is a Senator .

Edit: Also, does this harm her standing as a possible VP pick? She was not a strong campaigner, this was a fairly spectacular flame-out.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Wow. You're right, she was only 1 of 6 who had qualified for the December debate (add Steyer today).

My question, does she endorse? Tulsi, maybe ? She's held lately at about 5%, with the top 4 bunched she could have some influence. Biden may regret he forgot she is a Senator .

Edit: Also, does this harm her standing as a possible VP pick? She was not a strong campaigner, this was a fairly spectacular flame-out.
    As far as VP consideration is concerned, I think withdrawing now is better than a fourth place or worse showing in Iowa where she has publicly planted her flag.

And I doubt she will endorse because, well, the VP slot would be nice . . . .

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Was listening to NPR a bit ago as they were announcing this, and they were speculating the opposite, saying that she instantly vaults into top VP pick territory.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Was listening to NPR a bit ago as they were announcing this, and they were speculating the opposite, saying that she instantly vaults into top VP pick territory.
    She would align well with Biden except that she went after him pretty hard in the debates. But if Trump can make up with people who I thought he completely alienated, why can't the Dems do the same? It will be interesting to see where her (admittedly limited) supporters shift and will this help someone else get on the stage for the next debate.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    It will be interesting to see where her (admittedly limited) supporters shift and will this help someone else get on the stage for the next debate.
    Every moderate that drops out helps Biden, Buttigieg, and maybe Bloomberg/Klobuchar/Booker. Harris was at 3-5% in the national polls. That is not an insignificant number of voters who can have an impact on the race. If Booker and Klobuchar get even 1-2%, it could keep them on the debate stage going forward and make them seem more like legit contenders.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Every moderate that drops out helps Biden, Buttigieg, and maybe Bloomberg/Klobuchar/Booker. Harris was at 3-5% in the national polls. That is not an insignificant number of voters who can have an impact on the race. If Booker and Klobuchar get even 1-2%, it could keep them on the debate stage going forward and make them seem more like legit contenders.
    The debate is in 2 weeks, so I imagine qualifying closes next week. Think that will be enough time? There will probably only be one more round of polling by qualifying polls.

I would have liked to see her wait a week for this reason. Iowa will be about 6 weeks after this debate, time to narrow that stage.

The debate is in 2 weeks, so I imagine qualifying closes next week. Think that will be enough time? There will probably only be one more round of polling by qualifying polls.

I would have liked to see her wait a week for this reason. Iowa will be about 6 weeks after this debate, time to narrow that stage.
    Unless Booker or Yang qualifies, the debates are down to six white candidates and only two women. Only two under 60, and one of those by just six months. Only two females.

Interesting, given how diverse the field began.

ETA: Saw that December 12 is the cut-off for qualifying polls; not sure how many are left
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 12-03-2019 at 02:36 PM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Unless Booker or Yang qualifies, the debates are down to six white candidates and only two women. Only two under 60, and one of those by just six months. Only two females.

This likely says more about the Democratic donor class (and a person who can self-fund) than the makeup of the party itself.
    Both Yang and Gabbard are awfully close to making it; they have the time they need. Not so sure about Booker, he's looking pretty toasty.
    It will be interesting to see if Bloomberg squeezes in, thus putting two billionaires on the stage. There are only a smidgeon of polls that he was an option in so far, but nationally he's at 3%, which for being in for such a short period of time is pretty impressive. That's already 1% more than CB.
    Here's a sheet with all the needed numbers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...aring&sle=true
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Both Yang and Gabbard are awfully close to making it; they have the time they need. Not so sure about Booker, he's looking pretty toasty.
    It will be interesting to see if Bloomberg squeezes in, thus putting two billionaires on the stage. There are only a smidgeon of polls that he was an option in so far, but nationally he's at 3%, which for being in for such a short period of time is pretty impressive. That's already 1% more than CB.
    Here's a sheet with all the needed numbers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...aring&sle=true
    I don't think Bloomberg will get the number of individual donors needed to qualify.

I would be surprised if Yang did not qualify.

I don't think Bloomberg will get the number of individual donors needed to qualify.
    I think Bloomberg is not accepting donations. If you look on his website, there is nowhere to make a contribution.

There is talk the Democrats will relax the donor qualifications and only rely on polling for the January debate.

I would be surprised if Yang did not qualify.
    Donating to Bloomberg is like bringing sand to the beach. He could theoretically give people money and tell them to "donate" it back to him. Though I'm not totally sure that he wants to be involved in debates at this stage of the game - I think he might prefer to control his narrative.

had every stop and frisk target been given ten bucks for his or her trouble, something could have been worked out. I think it may be too late now, though.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    had every stop and frisk target been given ten bucks for his or her trouble, something could have been worked out. I think it may be too late now, though.
    Yup. You think they jumped Kamala for being a prosecutor . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Stop and frisk could be spun a lot of different ways. I don't know how it will play to the Democratic party base but there are many Democrats in NYC who were generally supportive of it, with some tweaks, but those who oppose it are a lot more vocal. As a New Yorker who lived here through the stop and frisk era I would be happy to discuss via PM - I don't think I can go into much more detail without going too deep into PPB.

Impeachment Report drops.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...oqP?li=BBnb7Kz

At 300 pages, at least it's shorter than the Mueller Report (448 pages ). But if the Ds want to move minds, they better have a tight Executive Summary. A 140-character summary would be even better in today's attention-span-challenged world.

P.S. Probably nothing moves minds.