Page 334 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 234284324332333334335336344384434834 ... LastLast
Results 6,661 to 6,680 of 26103
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    First poll out of Nevada in awhile has:

Sanders 25
    Biden 18
    Warren 13
    Steyer 11
    Buttigieg 10
    Klobuchar 10

If representative, not good news for Pete and Amy, who don't receive much of a bump for their strong NH performances. Good news for Joe as he didn't experience a slide. Meh for Bernie.

BTW, the PredictIt market for SC has Biden in the lead and over 50 cents again. It was probably a good call to buy him low after NH.
    This makes for another important debate coming up. Klobuchar obviously got a bump after her performance on the New Hampshire stage, will she be able to do it again? Will someone else step up and make a strong showing?
    Also, while he is polling well in Nevada and SC apparently, Tom Steyer has not qualified for the debate and looks like a long shot at this point to make it. Bloomberg is very close to being on the stage, just one more poll to go.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This makes for another important debate coming up. Klobuchar obviously got a bump after her performance on the New Hampshire stage, will she be able to do it again? Will someone else step up and make a strong showing?
    Also, while he is polling well in Nevada and SC apparently, Tom Steyer has not qualified for the debate and looks like a long shot at this point to make it. Bloomberg is very close to being on the stage, just one more poll to go.
    From a pure entertainment perspective, we really need Bloomberg to qualify. All the other candidates have reasons (either ideological or political) to attack him, and I'm interested in seeing how he'll respond to attacks that he's racist or sexist, for example. Also just interested in seeing how he'll perform in his first debate (of this election cycle).

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    From a pure entertainment perspective, we really need Bloomberg to qualify. All the other candidates have reasons (either ideological or political) to attack him, and I'm interested in seeing how he'll respond to attacks that he's racist or sexist, for example. Also just interested in seeing how he'll perform in his first debate (of this election cycle).
    Your timing is perfect - I just saw this piece about Bloomberg and the next debate. I think the author is right that Bloomberg is probably best off staying away and controlling his own narrative, because otherwise he will likely be a huge target. At some point he will have to more actively enter the fray, but I don't know if now is that time. It was interesting to see Warren go after him today. He is the huge wildcard in this whole thing and since he is such a non-traditional candidate, his presence makes me really skeptical about all polls and predictions because history is absolutely useless in figuring out how this will resolve. Kind of like Trump was in 2016.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/opini...son/index.html

I hope folks won't see the story I am linking as too biased...

You all really need to read this article in the Atlantic. The guy who wrote it says he is non-partisan and his intent was not to slam the Trump campaign, he merely wanted to understand how their social media operation works. The story is stunning in what it reveals. It presents all of us, regardless of party, with questions about how we -- as a society -- can deal with the speed that information moves in modern society.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...on-war/605530/

The story that unfurled in my Facebook feed over the next several weeks was, at times, disorienting. There were days when I would watch, live on TV, an impeachment hearing filled with damning testimony about the president’s conduct, only to look at my phone later and find a slickly edited video—served up by the Trump campaign—that used out-of-context clips to recast the same testimony as an exoneration. Wait, I caught myself wondering more than once, is that what happened today?

I was surprised by the effect it had on me. I’d assumed that my skepticism and media literacy would inoculate me against such distortions. But I soon found myself reflexively questioning every headline. It wasn’t that I believed Trump and his boosters were telling the truth. It was that, in this state of heightened suspicion, truth itself—about Ukraine, impeachment, or anything else—felt more and more difficult to locate. With each swipe, the notion of observable reality drifted further out of reach.

What I was seeing was a strategy that has been deployed by illiberal political leaders around the world. Rather than shutting down dissenting voices, these leaders have learned to harness the democratizing power of social media for their own purposes—jamming the signals, sowing confusion. They no longer need to silence the dissident shouting in the streets; they can use a megaphone to drown him out. Scholars have a name for this: censorship through noise.
    -Jason "Trump has weaponized social media in a way few thought was possible... it is his biggest weapon in the fight for a second term" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Polls

No one ever calls on our home phone so we usually don't answer it but I got a call from a 202 (Washington DC) number so I answered it and it was a political poll, so I chose to participate - I live in NY, which is not exactly a battleground state. I normally don't respond to these types of calls but figured it could be fun.

I don't believe they knew anything about me before they called though my area code skews heavily Democrat. They asked who my top Democratic candidate and my second favorite Democrat was, what my biggest problem with Trump was (without any prompts for potential answers), then had me give each Democrat a score on a 1-5 scale. Then they did all of the background questions (year of birth, liberal/moderate/conservative, Democrat/Independent/Republican, who I voted for in the 2016 primary, income, race, employment, am I in a union, etc). At the very end they said that the poll was sponsored by Bloomberg.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    At the very end they said that the poll was sponsored by Bloomberg.
    How highly had you rated him?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    How highly had you rated him?
    I am currently on the fence between Bloomberg and another candidate and I told them that Bloomberg is my top choice, so I guess that worked out well. My primary isn't until late April so I have plenty of time to figure it out and the field will likely be thinner by then.*

* I confirmed with Jason via PM that it was OK for me to reply to his question as I wasn't sure whether we are supposed to reveal our preferences.

Waiting for this thread and the Wuhan Flu thread to merge...it might be the defining issue of this election season.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Waiting for this thread and the Wuhan Flu thread to merge...it might be the defining issue of this election season.
    With 15 cases here in the US, I’m curious as to why this would register as little more than an afterthought for American voters.

I would liken it to the old adage about it being a recession when your neighbor loses their job and a depression when you lose yours. As long as the counts remain largely China based(currently fewer than 700 outside China), I don’t see how an epidemic there affects US politics much.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    With 15 cases here in the US, I’m curious as to why this would register as little more than an afterthought for American voters.

I would liken it to the old adage about it being a recession when your neighbor loses their job and a depression when you lose yours. As long as the counts remain largely China based(currently fewer than 700 outside China), I don’t see how an epidemic there affects US politics much.
    Two things...

1) China is a large percentage of the world economy and an integrated part of the supply chain of so many us and global economies. What happens there affects the rest of the world.

2) January 21st there were 258 reported cases in China and 4 outside of China. Today there are 64,000 in China and 218 outside of China. Give it another month, maybe two and I think you'll find this isn't just a China problem.

Just bookmark this comment and let's revisit it for the Ides of March.

Two things...

1) China is a large percentage of the world economy and an integrated part of the supply chain of so many us and global economies. What happens there affects the rest of the world.

2) January 21st there were 258 reported cases in China and 4 outside of China. Today there are 64,000 in China and 218 outside of China. Give it another month, maybe two and I think you'll find this isn't just a China problem.

Just bookmark this comment and let's revisit it for the Ides of March.
    So, you're squarely on one side of the PlagueWatch thread question aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    So, you're squarely on one side of the PlagueWatch thread question aren't you?
    Yes. I don't see this not affecting the US and I'm intrigued as to when the candidates (including President Trump) begin to tackle the issue.

Yes. I don't see this not affecting the US and I'm intrigued as to when the candidates (including President Trump) begin to tackle the issue.
    I didn't realize that any of the candidates were immunologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I didn't realize that any of the candidates were immunologists.
    public policy my friend, public policy.

public policy my friend, public policy.
    Discussing public policy is a violation of thread rules.
    Bob Green

Bloomberg considering ______ as his VP running mate? Color me shocked if this is even remotely true!

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpun...p-says-drudge/

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Bloomberg considering ______ as his VP running mate? Color me shocked if this is even remotely true!

https://hotair.com/archives/allahpun...p-says-drudge/
    New Yawk and New Yawk -- isn't that against the U.S. Constitution?

Sounds like a Drudge rumor to me.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Discussing public policy is a violation of thread rules.
    Tough crowd

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Your timing is perfect - I just saw this piece about Bloomberg and the next debate. I think the author is right that Bloomberg is probably best off staying away and controlling his own narrative, because otherwise he will likely be a huge target. At some point he will have to more actively enter the fray, but I don't know if now is that time. It was interesting to see Warren go after him today. He is the huge wildcard in this whole thing and since he is such a non-traditional candidate, his presence makes me really skeptical about all polls and predictions because history is absolutely useless in figuring out how this will resolve. Kind of like Trump was in 2016.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/opini...son/index.html
    Maybe another reason to avoid the debate is not having to address this subject.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ge%2Fstory-ans

That was a wow story for me. If it’s Trump vs Bloomberg how many women stay away in protest?
    Last edited by Bob Green; 02-16-2020 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Maybe another reason to avoid the debate is not having to address this subject.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ge%2Fstory-ans

That was a wow story for me. If it’s Trump vs Bloomberg how many women stay away in protest?
    Wow. It will be interesting to see if this gains traction in the major networks news cycle but in this day and time with the #metoo movement I do not see how it doesn't. I could definitely see this being a game changer for a lot of people when making their decision on who they are going to vote for. Trump was immune to stuff like this but I don't see it playing out quite the same way on the Democratic side.