Page 138 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 38881281361371381391401481882386381138 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Kudlow’s addictions have destroyed him his entire career. Getting fired from Bear Stearns, in the early and mid 90’s, for excessive cocaine usage, was akin to getting fired from The Grateful Dead for excessive drug usage.
    It’s sad. And it seemed pretty obvious. At what, 9 in the morning?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    My apologies for making light. I don't know who Larry is, didn't know about his addiction history, and didn't see that show. Somebody's addiction is nothing to joke about.

Yes, very sad. Cayne and Ace hated having to fire Kudlow. Larry made Bear serious money with his macro knowledge and strong sales skills. His game is much weaker now but it was probably the same skill set which motivated Trump to take the chance. I suspect Larry is now late for the door.

Larry, what can you say, he reaps what he sows.

Sad to hear. I remember him back in the day when he was often on CNBC Saturday mornings with Bill Wolman, Bill Griffeth(maybe), and others discussing the markets and economic news. CNBC's response to the old Wall Street Week with Louis Rukeyser on one hand and the McLaughlin Group on the other. And he seemed to have it under control for some time, but he was definitely in roles with a different level of stress than his current one.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    "Launching" your still yet to be launched campaign, if you ever launch it, by saying that if you lose you will still vote for DT over someone else, does not seem to be the best launching pad.

Yet, that's where Mark Sanford is looking to take off from. Save yourself some money, buddy, and don't even bother lighting the fuse.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...020/ar-AAFYJZT
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    "Launching" your still yet to be launched campaign, if you ever launch it, by saying that if you lose you will still vote for DT over someone else, does not seem to be the best launching pad.

Yet, that's where Mark Sanford is looking to take off from. Save yourself some money, buddy, and don't even bother lighting the fuse.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...020/ar-AAFYJZT
    So, you're saying he should take a hike?

This probably won't help Trump's prospects in Pennsylvania much, and he needs to win the state. Workers told to show up for his rally and behave or not get paid:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tr...6tl?li=BBnb7Kz

Interesting tidbit from recent NBC.WSJ poll:

Among white females without a college degree, Trump currently trails a generic 2020 Democrat by 6 percentage points. In 2016 he won this category by 27 percentage points over Hillary.

If you want to know where his slippage is -- hard to think of a bigger category of supporters that Trump is losing. A 33 point swing down is not a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Having just returned from Iceland, it is indeed very green -- but almost treeless. Although Sage and grandson did plant 30 birch saplings. Iceland, unlike Greenland, is a land without mosquitoes or gnats.
    yes, very few trees, but not because of the climate. Iceland was heavily forested before people.

Among white females without a college degree, Trump currently trails a generic 2020 Democrat by 6 percentage points. In 2016 he won this category by 27 percentage points over Hillary.

If you want to know where his slippage is -- hard to think of a bigger category of supporters that Trump is losing. A 33 point swing down is not a good sign.
    I agree but a "generic Democrat" always outpolls actual candidates. If I was "generic candidate" I'd cruise to victory!

Yea, admittedly, on the surface, NOT a good sign for DT. BUT I have NO faith in any of the polls at this point in time (and HRC would be president IF the polls were accurate!). I just think you have to wait until the Democrats choose their candidate and we get into an election between two people in the Fall of 2020.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm predicting that DT wins re-election, AS LONG AS the economy remains strong, the stock market goes higher and he doesn't do anything too incredibly stupid over the next 16 months!

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yea, admittedly, on the surface, NOT a good sign for DT. BUT I have NO faith in any of the polls at this point in time (and HRC would be president IF the polls were accurate!). I just think you have to wait until the Democrats choose their candidate and we get into an election between two people in the Fall of 2020.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm predicting that DT wins re-election, AS LONG AS the economy remains strong, the stock market goes higher and he doesn't do anything too incredibly stupid over the next 16 months!
    But the polls really weren't that far off. Everybody paid too much attention to national polling numbers and didn't break down the states. Plus the Comey letter made a huge difference (makes you wonder what the Stormy Daniels effect might have been and why the Ds weren't ready with their own October surprise). Exit polling showed that voters who got to the polls hating both candidates broke strongly for Trump.

The HRC campaign was just terrible. She should have been on the ground almost constantly in PA, MI, and WI. And more importantly, had a top-notch ground game in those states. I won't look up where she was and if some of those might have gone the other way, so really who knows. But the polling wasn't the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post

It's even less precise than you say - the pols were accurate and Hilary still lost.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    yes, very few trees, but not because of the climate. Iceland was heavily forested before people.
    Long before people - about 125,000 years ago. https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0705153019.htm

Trump's been sniping at Fox News for a recent set of general election polls that showed him trailing various Dem candidates. They're the August 16th set here in the RCP list. They seem fairly consistent with other recent results so nothing eye opening...

...in other news, I'll be mildly interested in seeing if The Mooch pulls off his proposed assembly of ex-cabinet officials to speak to Trump's fitness for office. Lord knows there are a lot of ex-Trump officials to choose from, he's had more turnover in the first 2.5 years of his presidency than his five predecessors had in their entire first terms. Hard to imagine it moving the needle but it'd be a hell of a thing to see. It's actually a page from Trump's book similar to when he held the conference w/ Bill Clinton's accusers.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    I am not so sure you are correct. When we cut down the trees in Eastern and Southeastern North America, they grew back immediately and fully (although 2nd growth forests were different from the virgin woodlands). In Iceland, there are no areas that I saw with natural occurring saplings or small trees.

Here's how one source summarize the recent history of trees in Iceland:

The only forest forming tree species to return to the present interglacial [i.e., since the last Ice Age] is downy birch (Betula pubescens). Other native tree species found in Icelandic forests are rowan (Sorbus aucuparia), which is uncommon, and the extremely rare aspen (Populus tremula) found naturally in only 6 locations, along with abundant tea-leaved willow (Salix phylicifolia), which is usually a shrub but occasionally reaches tree size. In fact, all of these species more often grow as shrubs rather than trees in Iceland and none of them ever get very big, roughly 15 meters in height being the maximum for the birch, rowan and aspen.
    No conifers except plantations, and the downy birch is not very impressive.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am not so sure you are correct. When we cut down the trees in Eastern and Southeastern North America, they grew back immediately and fully (although 2nd growth forests were different from the virgin woodlands). In Iceland, there are no areas that I saw with natural occurring saplings or small trees.

Here's how one source summarize the recent history of trees in Iceland:

No conifers except plantations, and the downy birch is not very impressive.
    That's not to say that the Norsemen did not cut down everything in sight, but that the trees were not what we imagine as a thick, vigorous forest.
    Sage Grouse

I have a vague memory of my family cutting down every tree there...I think it was in January

This thread has really started to branch out...