Page 868 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 368768818858866867868869870878918968 ... LastLast
Results 17,341 to 17,360 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    What I worry about:

https://twitter.com/therecount/statu...35890783625216

At a rally in Reading, PA Trump says: “If we win on Tuesday or — thank you very much, Supreme Court — shortly thereafter…”
    As I have been pushing for months, this is Trump's strategy – to win the election in the Supreme Court.

Meanwhile, Democrats had to cancel a campaign event in Texas because a bunch of Trump supporters surrounded the campaign bus on the highway and attempted to force it to stop or get off the road. Scary stuff.

What I worry about:

At a rally in Reading, PA Trump says: “If we win on Tuesday or — thank you very much, Supreme Court — shortly thereafter…”
    [republican]If the Democrats weren't cheating, it wouldn't be necessary[/partisan]

Trump is under the delusion that Bush won because of the Supreme Court in 2000 and that he can win with the Supreme Court now. The situations won't be the same, not even close.

Have faith in America, it will all work out in the end.

What I worry about:

That will NOT win friends among the Supremes. As Mr. Dooley, the fictional Irish bartender, said way back in 1901, "The Supreme Court follows the election returns." I will modify the meaning to insist that the Supreme Court will NEVER overturn an election where the votes are clear.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    As I have been pushing for months, this is Trump's strategy – to win the election in the Supreme Court.

Meanwhile, Democrats had to cancel a campaign event in Texas because a bunch of Trump supporters surrounded the campaign bus on the highway and attempted to force it to stop or get off the road. Scary stuff.
    Was Joe Biden on that bus???

As for Trump’s “strategy” of the Supreme Court handing him the election? Ain’t gonna happen. The vote will be so overwhelmingly in Biden’s favor that even a 6-3 conservative Supreme Court won’t be able to save him even if they wanted to. And I’m not convinced they would want to anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post

As for Trump’s “strategy” of the Supreme Court handing him the election? Ain’t gonna happen. The vote will be so overwhelmingly in Biden’s favor that even a 6-3 conservative Supreme Court won’t be able to save him even if they wanted to. And I’m not convinced they would want to anyway.
    Doesn’t violate an invisible sticky about woof Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Man, it's hard to have faith these days. I hope you're right.

Agree. If the polls bear out, I fully expect Trump to refuse to concede and even if he is out of the WH in January, to say the election was rigged and never admit defeat.

I expect we will find out a lot about the broader GOP in the coming months.

Get used to it. I predict he'll be the R nominee in 2024.
    I don’t see Jr having the ability his dad does to connect to voters beyond his dad’s most loyal base.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I don’t see Jr having the ability his dad does to connect to voters beyond his dad’s most loyal base.
    In all fairness, does dad have that ability either?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    [republican]If the Democrats weren't cheating, it wouldn't be necessary[/partisan]

Trump is under the delusion that Bush won because of the Supreme Court in 2000 and that he can win with the Supreme Court now. The situations won't be the same, not even close.

Yea I really wouldn’t expect him to have a particularly nuanced understanding of constitutional law. I’m sure there are people around him who do, but whether he will listen to them is another story. Gore/ Bush ended up in litigation because of a perilously thin margin in FLA, which happened to be the deciding state in an extremely close election. Not to say there couldn’t be some wild situation that sends us down a similar road, but it’s not a fait accompli, and certainly he’d have no way of knowing ahead of time that it would occur.

He’ll never concede, and he will spend the rest of his days claiming the election was rigged. But that doesn’t mean there will be any legitimate issue to be litigated.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Doesn’t violate an invisible sticky about woof Gods?
    I’d like to be able to help you answer that apparent question, but I have no idea what you’re talking about. Maybe my brain is not quite up to par being that it’s All Hallows’ Eve 👻 and all.

Is this more or less certain than your assurance that McConnell didn't have the votes to confirm a justice before the election?

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Is this more or less certain than your assurance that McConnell didn't have the votes to confirm a justice before the election?
    Hey smart guy, there’s not a person in the world who gets every prognostication correct. I get it right more often than not.

Instead of casting aspersions on the predictions of others how about you come up with your own?

Hey smart guy, there’s not a person in the world who gets every prognostication correct. I get it right more often than not.

Instead of casting aspersions on the predictions of others how about you come up with your own?
    I did. I said Trump would easily confirm a nominee before the election, and you shot me down.

I did. I said Trump would easily confirm a nominee before the election, and you shot me down.
    That has nothing to do with the presidential election. Why don’t you stick to the subject.

I guess I was misguided in believing that there would be enough Republicans in the Senate who would do the right thing and wait until the next president was in place before voting on a Supreme Court nominee. My mistake.

That has nothing to do with the presidential election. Why don’t you stick to the subject.
    Only good with "casting aspersions on the predictions of others" when you're the one doing it?

So much for law and order.

Only good with "casting aspersions on the predictions of others" when you're the one doing it?
    I don’t recall casting aspersions on any DBR poster’s predictions. To which comments of mine are you specifically referring?

Yeah never good. To be fair, I recall the same thing happening to Trump back in 2016 when he tried to hold a rally in Chicago. They had to cancel it due to security concerns as Trump opposers were blocking/disrupting.

It's a sad state of affairs. And I'm not suggesting this as a "both sides do it and it's even." Merely pointing out that I have seen it on the other side in my city. The throwing out votes strategy does seem to be very one sided however...

I'm really just hoping for peace in the election aftermath involving no violent riots and no dragged out lawsuits and a peaceful transition (or continuance). That would be a success for democracy. Crazy how our standards have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    He’ll never concede, and he will spend the rest of his days claiming the election was rigged. But that doesn’t mean there will be any legitimate issue to be litigated.
    Maybe not, but there are already at least 30 election-related lawsuits pending, and I don't expect that number to go down immediately post-election.