Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Next year's QB?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    People at OK. They consider Kendall gone. Multiple stories up if you Google Kendall. The only question is his destination...he's from NC, he's been talking to Duke...may or may not end up here, but he's going somewhere. And probably very soon, since classes are starting (but cobbling together some grad program for him should be relatively easy, who knows, maybe even an MBA if he wants something ultra useful).

I get the comments about QH, but frankly we are underpopulated at the QB position, largely due to some major decommits (Sears and The Rat).
    Yeah, I wish he would declare so we can start an Alabama thread

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    You are 100% correct. However, it is impossible for me to remove the impression of athletic carpet-bagging. Just doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.
    If we do get Kendall, or someone else, and they start, I'm still going to be cheering like hell with every play.
    There seem to be different rules or a different ethos for quarterbacks, don't there? Unlike other positions, there is only one QB on the field and the starter seems to get 90+ percent of the playing time. Every good prospect wants a shot to start in college and make his way to the NFL, where, unlike at other positions, the QBs in the Not-For-Long league routinely play ten years or more.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    Yeah, I wish he would declare so we can start an Alabama thread
    Austin was a 4 star recruit from Waxhaw (2016) class. Depending on recruiting service, 4th to 9th top pro style QB.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Austin was a 4 star recruit from Waxhaw (2016) class. Depending on recruiting service, 4th to 9th top pro style QB.
    Here is his ESPN profile:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...austin-kendall

Lots of P5 offers in addition to Oklahoma: Auburn, Clemson, Miami, Tennessee, N.C. State, West Virginia, Virginia.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    There seem to be different rules or a different ethos for quarterbacks, don't there? Unlike other positions, there is only one QB on the field and the starter seems to get 90+ percent of the playing time. Every good prospect wants a shot to start in college and make his way to the NFL, where, unlike at other positions, the QBs in the Not-For-Long league routinely play ten years or more.
    And this is why defections by committed QBs are so devastating. I get it that in general, kids should be able to change their minds once they commit to a school, but I think the dynamic is a bit different with QBs. Coaches often look for just one QB per class, and once one commits, they stop recruiting others. Twice in recent years, Cut thought he had rock solid commitments from touted QBs (Sears and Surratt) and both of those guys defected, leaving Cut little time to find a suitable replacement.
    Seems like perhaps some cosmic justice that Cut should be be the beneficiary of The Portal for a QB, IMO.

<Deleted … I decided I don't want to get pulled into the abyss>

And this is why defections by committed QBs are so devastating. I get it that in general, kids should be able to change their minds once they commit to a school, but I think the dynamic is a bit different with QBs. Coaches often look for just one QB per class, and once one commits, they stop recruiting others. Twice in recent years, Cut thought he had rock solid commitments from touted QBs (Sears and Surratt) and both of those guys defected, leaving Cut little time to find a suitable replacement.
    Seems like perhaps some cosmic justice that Cut should be be the beneficiary of The Portal for a QB, IMO.
    And the QB dynamic is changing faster and faster. It started picking up speed when Saban inserted Tua into the Natty last year. Then really changed when he slotted Tua ahead of Jalen as permanent starter. When Dabo made the move to Lawrence, a whole new thing was upon us - especially when Bryant immediately said he was leaving. Then the injury versus Syracuse might've been a slight disturbance in the force of this change, but when Lawrence won the Natty last week....well, game on for movement in the QB position.

What Saban and Dabo did - and congrats to them for making tough decisions that fly in the face of decades of FB tradition - makes it easier for any player or any coach to make a decision on QBs that was unthinkable just a few years ago. Brave new world....

Well. Thanks to Jim Sumner, arnie, and others, I have seen the light.

Should it come to pass that Austin Kendall wants to transfer to Duke and Cut accepts him, let the competition begin. Best case scenario? Kendall is all we hoped for, and he still can't beat out Quentin Harris for the job.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

You are 100% correct. However, it is impossible for me to remove the impression of athletic carpet-bagging. Just doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.
    If we do get Kendall, or someone else, and they start, I'm still going to be cheering like hell with every play.
    Athletic carpet-bagging? He spent 3 years at OU and graduated. Doesn't sound like a bagger to me.

I get the comments about QH, but frankly we are underpopulated at the QB position, largely due to some major decommits (Sears and The Rat).
    This is a pretty big point that hasn't been brought up as much as it probably should be in this conversation. I do get why people aren't in love with a newcomer coming in and usurping the lead QB spot, but we are really thin at QB. As in, we aren't even completely sure we have a single viable backup on the roster right now (I am excited about Holmberg's future, but he is young and we don't have any clue whether he or Katrenick are ready to contribute if called upon). I won't be terribly disappointed if we don't get a grad transfer, but given our serious depth issues at the position I certainly won't be disappointed if we do.

Adam Rowe

@AdamRoweTDD
    42m
    42 minutes ago

More
    Adam Rowe Retweeted JC Shurburtt
    From last night, Duke is considered a leader for Oklahoma QB transfer Austin Kendall, who grew up outside of Charlie, NC. The last Duke QB from Charlotte, @Daniel_Jones10, is a projected first round pick in this summers NFL draft. https://247sports.com/college/duke/B...e=4#M127771444
    Adam Rowe added,

JC Shurburtt
    Verified account

@jcshurburtt
    UPDATE: #Duke is still the leader in the clubhouse for #Sooners QB transfer Austin Kendall, but I hear #WVU #Auburn and #Utah have all been in touch today. @RJ_Young @Keith247Sports @mikecasazza @UteZone
    1 reply
    4 retweets
    21 likes

Retweet

Direct message
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by devilseven View Post
    What number Elvis will be our Next year's QB?
    He is Elvis57, but as a QB, will wear #11

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post

Adam Rowe Retweeted JC Shurburtt
    From last night, Duke is considered a leader for Oklahoma QB transfer Austin Kendall, who grew up outside of Charlie, NC. The last Duke QB from Charlotte, @Daniel_Jones10, is a projected first round pick in this summers NFL draft. https://247sports.com/college/duke/B...e=4#M127771444
    Adam Rowe added,

JC Shurburtt
    Verified account

@jcshurburtt
    UPDATE: #Duke is still the leader in the clubhouse for #Sooners QB transfer Austin Kendall, but I hear #WVU #Auburn and #Utah have all been in touch today. @RJ_Young @Keith247Sports @mikecasazza @UteZone
    Thanks for the update. This is some unexpected off season excitement.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Athletic carpet-bagging? He spent 3 years at OU and graduated. Doesn't sound like a bagger to me.
    He is a backup QB seeking a starting job. To me, that is athletic carpet bagging. Since he can't earn it where he is, he's looking elsewhere. (Which is the reason behind most transfers, but as stated for more than one reason that I won't bring back up, I'm not a fan of the idea.)

FYI, the irony of this is that I've watched two recent Duke QBs transfer out, but their reasons are a bit different. Thomas Sirk was coming off a year in which he never played due to injury, and went to play for Scottie Montgomery, and Connette transferred in large part due to his mother's health.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

He is a backup QB seeking a starting job. To me, that is athletic carpet bagging. Since he can't earn it where he is, he's looking elsewhere. (Which is the reason behind most transfers, but as stated for more than one reason that I won't bring back up, I'm not a fan of the idea.)
    That's a pretty harsh assessment for you...and look, I get the carpet bagging notion...and I don't really disagree with it in theory. That said, the QB realities in college have changed dramatically in the past few years, and really, a lot in the past 13 months.

You know, now yankees coming to the south are no longer carpet baggers....they're simply acting normal....(a little civil war analogy).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That's a pretty harsh assessment for you...and look, I get the carpet bagging notion...and I don't really disagree with it in theory. That said, the QB realities in college have changed dramatically in the past few years, and really, a lot in the past 13 months.

You know, now yankees coming to the south are no longer carpet baggers...they're simply acting normal...(a little civil war analogy).
    It is. But also like I said, if he or any other QB comes to Duke and is the starter, I'm cheering like hell everytime they are on the field.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by orrnot View Post
    Classes haven’t started for all of Duke’s graduate programs.
    Did the guy we are talking about graduate in December, or will he be graduating after spring semester? I don’t generally see how grad transfers would be able to begin classes in spring,or is my collegiate calendar messed up?

FYI, the irony of this is that I've watched two recent Duke QBs transfer out, but their reasons are a bit different. Thomas Sirk was coming off a year in which he never played due to injury, and went to play for Scottie Montgomery, and Connette transferred in large part due to his mother's health.
    Actually, I think Kendall would have been the presumptive starter at OU this year (word is he narrowly lost the job to Kyler Murray leading up to this season). He played behind two Heisman winners (Mayfield and Murray). It isn't clear to me why he is leaving OU and I'm not sure it has been explicitly reported, but it doesn't appear to be related to lack of opportunity to start. There are rumors that Hurts might be looking at OU, but a) Those reports started popping up after Kendall announced he would tranfer and b) it isn't obvious Hurts would beat out Kendall for the job anyway.

Also...while I have my qualms with it, it is pretty great that Duke is a program under consideration for any transfer. That speaks volumes to the job that Cut is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

You know, now yankees coming to the south are no longer carpet baggers...they're simply acting normal...(a little civil war analogy).
    I agree...given that this guy probably has little shot to play after college, do you blame him for trying to go somewhere where he might?
    1200. DDMF.