Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Next year's QB?

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Ditto from me. I am not a fan of the volume of QB transfer talk on this thread, most of it unfounded speculation. QH has paid his dues and deserves the keys to the car.
    I agree with that about QH. He does a couple things a little better than DJ IMO (just a couple...). My worry is that Cut didn't use him more two years ago when DJ was hurt and not playing well at all for six games....We know now Jones was maybe 50%....and yet QH rode the pine.

I also want to see how Gunnar can come along....

Not familiar with JC Shurburt but he tweeted that Duke could land a transfer from Oklahoma.

https://twitter.com/jcshurburtt/stat...390176258?s=21

He also says Hurts was on the OU campus today.

Quote Originally Posted by WNC View Post
    Not familiar with JC Shurburt but he tweeted that Duke could land a transfer from Oklahoma.

https://twitter.com/jcshurburtt/stat...390176258?s=21

He also says Hurts was on the OU campus today.
    This seems to have momentum. Former NC high school star, and (according to many at OK) presumed successor to Kyler Murray...he has graduated but has two years of eligibility left.
    Everyone wanted this guy when he was in HS. Few stats this year to savor, but the OK coaches said he nearly beat out Murray in the Spring for the starting job.
    Should know soon, multiple tweeters seem to think Duke is in good shape here.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    This seems to have momentum. Former NC high school star, and (according to many at OK) presumed successor to Kyler Murray...he has graduated but has two years of eligibility left.
    Everyone wanted this guy when he was in HS. Few stats this year to savor, but the OK coaches said he nearly beat out Murray in the Spring for the starting job.
    Should know soon, multiple tweeters seem to think Duke is in good shape here.
    He's from Charlotte....very likely knows Daniel Jones, Anthony Boone, Jamison Crowder....etc.

I didn't mind when Jeremy Cash came in and claimed a job. He put in a year practicing with the team first. Somehow, it's not the same with a grad transfer who might take the QB position. I guess it's because I've come to admire Quintin Harris, and have heard only good things about his leadership qualities. And there's only one QB job.

But, I'll trust Cut if it happens.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Austin Kendall: A really good guy and talented QB. Came to OU with Coach Riley. Misfortune to have Mayfield allowed by NCAA to have extra year, and Murray to have transferred in. Who knew? May be a great potential for us. He arrived OU mid season, graduated in 3; has 2 years left.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I didn't mind when Jeremy Cash came in and claimed a job. He put in a year practicing with the team first. Somehow, it's not the same with a grad transfer who might take the QB position. I guess it's because I've come to admire Quintin Harris, and have heard only good things about his leadership qualities. And there's only one QB job.

But, I'll trust Cut if it happens.
    Similar to OADs in b-ball I guess. If he comes onboard and beats out Q, why shouldn’t Cut play him? Same thing if Gunnar or another QB on the roster is better. I respect Q, but Doubt Cut ever promised Q he starts in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Austin Kendall: A really good guy and talented QB. Came to OU with Coach Riley. Misfortune to have Mayfield allowed by NCAA to have extra year, and Murray to have transferred in. Who knew? May be a great potential for us. He arrived OU mid season, graduated in 3; has 2 years left.
    And apparently almost beat out Murray for the job in the pre season before this past year. How scary is that?

This sounds promising...
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Didn't classes already start? If we actually were to get someone to transfer in, wouldn't Cut want them playing Spring ball?

As I said above, I'm not the biggest fan of a grad transfer; I would rather have one of our guys who has put the time in at Duke to be our starter. What would it say about Cut's confidence in Harris/Holmberg if he were to pursue Kendall?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Didn't classes already start? If we actually were to get someone to transfer in, wouldn't Cut want them playing Spring ball?

As I said above, I'm not the biggest fan of a grad transfer; I would rather have one of our guys who has put the time in at Duke to be our starter. What would it say about Cut's confidence in Harris/Holmberg if he were to pursue Kendall?
    Good point. Just checked and it looks like classes started on Wednesday, so I'm not really sure how this would work. It seems very early - I would have guessed it wasn't until at least this Monday, but that's what the calendar says. Though Drop-Add ends January 23, so does he theoretically have until then?

It seems like he is very late to be doing this, because I agree that it would be preferable to have someone doing this enroll to participate in spring practice.

I assume that this also means that it is highly likely that Hurts is going to Oklahoma? Or that he is at least protecting himself in case that happens. Because it sounds like assuming Murray leaves (which is highly likely), he would otherwise be the strong favorite to be the starter there.

I didn't hear any complaining two years ago when Evan Lisle came in as a grad-student transfer from The Ohio State University and beat out Sterling Korona and Christian Harris, both of whom had put in time with the program.

Should returning QBs be exempt from competition?

Who are the reliable people talking about this transfer

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I didn't hear any complaining two years ago when Evan Lisle came in as a grad-student transfer from The Ohio State University and beat out Sterling Korona and Christian Harris, both of whom had put in time with the program.

Should returning QBs be exempt from competition?
    No offense, but who? If those are Duke guys (and I'm assuming they were) did any of them have a chance at sniffing the field?

Edit...Nevermind. I am in a QB mindset, I see they were linemen. I'm with the above poster that QBs in my head are different. They are the leader of the team (offense anyway), so I'd rather it be a guy that has been with the team for more than a couple months. (Unless he is a freshman.)
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 01-12-2019 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Had to do some after post Googling
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm confident that David Cutcliffe, given his history of extraordinary loyalty to assistants, values the past contributions of all returning players, and would never deliberately deprive one of a fair opportunity to compete for a starting position. But that does not mean that he is, or ever ought to feel, obligated to favor any player over another when it comes to determining who is best qualified to help the team win games. As head coach, his overriding responsibility is -- or properly should be in my opinion -- to the team. And I would hope that each of the players not only understands, but supports, that team-first priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I'm confident that David Cutcliffe, given his history of extraordinary loyalty to assistants, values the past contributions of all returning players, and would never deliberately deprive one of a fair opportunity to compete for a starting position. But that does not mean that he is, or ever ought to feel, obligated to favor any player over another when it comes to determining who is best qualified to help the team win games. As head coach, his overriding responsibility is -- or properly should be in my opinion -- to the team. And I would hope that each of the players not only understands, but supports, that team-first priority.
    You are 100% correct. However, it is impossible for me to remove the impression of athletic carpet-bagging. Just doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.
    If we do get Kendall, or someone else, and they start, I'm still going to be cheering like hell with every play.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Good point. Just checked and it looks like classes started on Wednesday, so I'm not really sure how this would work. It seems very early - I would have guessed it wasn't until at least this Monday, but that's what the calendar says. Though Drop-Add ends January 23, so does he theoretically have until then?
    Classes haven’t started for all of Duke’s graduate programs.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    No offense, but who? If those are Duke guys (and I'm assuming they were) did any of them have a chance at sniffing the field?

Edit...Nevermind. I am in a QB mindset, I see they were linemen. I'm with the above poster that QBs in my head are different. They are the leader of the team (offense anyway), so I'd rather it be a guy that has been with the team for more than a couple months. (Unless he is a freshman.)
    How would you feel if Mike Krzyzewski brought in a grad-student transfer point guard? Wouldn't Jordan Goldwire have dibs? Or if McCallie brought in some badly-needed reinforcements? Chris Pollard's Duke baseball team broke a long NCAAT drought in 2016 with a weekend rotation that included two transfers, both of whom leap-frogged lesser-talented players with a longer investment in the program. Soccer, lacrosse, field hockey provide other examples.

Coaches recruit with a series of personnel assumptions and expectations that can be overturned quickly with injuries, transfers, early-pro-departures, suspensions, dismissals, and yes, the fact that not every recruit pans out.

Cutcliffe has said numerous times that it's a results-oriented-business and the players he recruits understand that.

I'll give you a recent example, more recent than Evan Lisle.

Jack Wohlabaugh came in as a transfer from Ohio State and somehow did not have to sit out a season. He began the season as backup center to redshirt senior Zach Harmon. Harmon missed some games with injuries. Wohlabaugh played well, better than Harmon had been playing. When Harmon came back, he moved back to his old position, guard, where he bumped junior Julian Santos. Both Harmon and Santos had more time invested in the Duke program than did the new kid on the block but the new kid gave Duke a better chance to win football games and I'm reasonably certain everyone involved understood that.

Cut has been unenthusiastic about the grad-student transfer market in part because he does value loyalty. But he also values putting the best team possible on the field and I see no compelling reason why the quarterback position should be exempt from that equation.

As always, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    How would you feel if Mike Krzyzewski brought in a grad-student transfer point guard? Wouldn't Jordan Goldwire have dibs? Or if McCallie brought in some badly-needed reinforcements?
    Not discounting any of your points or examples, but I'll focus on these two.
    In basketball, we are used to the best players not staying for two years. Grad transfers are actually needed for programs to fill in gaping holes. Huge holes. Any player with skill is a sought commodity to fill the chasms left by OAD's. Goldwire hasn't started, and if a guy comes in that is better than him, and starts, I don't feel the same about it. It's the nature of the sport.
    Should it be different for me in football? Nope. But without trying to impossibly explain it, it is.

If Coach P achieves that miracle, I'll get back on her bandwagon. But...I'm fairly confident that ain't gonna happen at this point in her Duke career.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Who are the reliable people talking about this transfer
    People at OK. They consider Kendall gone. Multiple stories up if you Google Kendall. The only question is his destination...he's from NC, he's been talking to Duke...may or may not end up here, but he's going somewhere. And probably very soon, since classes are starting (but cobbling together some grad program for him should be relatively easy, who knows, maybe even an MBA if he wants something ultra useful).

I get the comments about QH, but frankly we are underpopulated at the QB position, largely due to some major decommits (Sears and The Rat).