Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Next year's QB?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I agree...given that this guy probably has little shot to play after college, do you blame him for trying to go somewhere where he might?
    I disagree with your assessment. He has played behind two Heisman Trophy winners. Pure opinion here but I expect he has NFL aspirations and desires to be tutored by Coach Cutcliffe to improve his opportunity.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I disagree with your assessment. He has played behind two Heisman Trophy winners. Pure opinion here but I expect he has NFL aspirations and desires to be tutored by Coach Cutcliffe to improve his opportunity.
    I'll cede to you here
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Also...while I have my qualms with it, it is pretty great that Duke is a program under consideration for any transfer. That speaks volumes to the job that Cut is doing.
    Now, that is one thing I'll whole-heartedly concur with. In the often-sordid "business" of college football, Cutcliffe is a shining star. Duke is very lucky to have him.

The few transfers we have taken have been great teammates, solid contributors and excellent representatives of Duke. Cut has earned my trust here.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Some talk about Mike Leach wanting Hurt at Washington state. Obviously Hurt has many opportunities.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I would think (or at least hope) this puts the talk of Kendall transferring from Oklahoma to bed.
    Kyler Murray, the first-round Major League Baseball draft pick and Heisman Trophy-winning Oklahoma quarterback, declared himself eligible for the NFL draft on Monday.
    If he still transfers, best wishes to the Sooners' coaches filling the void. I've read though, that the coaches don't expect him to be back, and knew Murray was transferring. Also, he visited WVU today.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...quz?li=BBnb7Kz

Maybe he didn't like the wind sweeping down the plains.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 01-14-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Singing show tunes in my head
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I would think (or at least hope) this puts the talk of Kendall transferring from Oklahoma to bed.

If he still transfers, best wishes to the Sooners' coaches filling the void. I've read though, that the coaches don't expect him to be back, and knew Murray was transferring. Also, he visited WVU today.

Has Jalen Hurts made his decision about where he will be? He visited OK Saturday. He's also visited Maryland, but wouldn't be in a position to contend for a national championship there.

Another factor is Oklahoma has another highly rated quarterback recruit arriving in this year's class:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...er/_/id/217105

Spencer Rattler is the #1 quarterback and #17 overall player in the ESPN300 rankings:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...ank/class/2019
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Another factor is Oklahoma has another highly rated quarterback recruit arriving in this year's class:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...er/_/id/217105

Spencer Rattler is the #1 quarterback and #17 overall player in the ESPN300 rankings:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...ank/class/2019
    Is Rattler a better QB name than Gunnar?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Kendall was already transferring, and Kyler Murray was already going to put his name into the draft (and he was going to leave for baseball if he didn't do that). This has no bearing (it is just making official what was already known). That's why it was somewhat surprising that Kendall was transferring.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

I'll go Gunnar by a nose...but hey, they're all fighting for second best name after Sonny Sixkiller....

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Rattler makes me think of Kenny Stabler, aka Snake.

Apparently Duke isn't considering Austin anymore

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    or is it the other way around? What's the source?

Is this related to Austin's visit to Auburn over the weekend?

Looks like it's all been a tease, Plumlee isn't coming, Kendall isn't coming, kid from Oregon isn't coming. Wish I hadn't got my hopes up, silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Kendall was already transferring, and Kyler Murray was already going to put his name into the draft (and he was going to leave for baseball if he didn't do that). This has no bearing (it is just making official what was already known). That's why it was somewhat surprising that Kendall was transferring.
    Kendall committed to OU in the fall of 2015 and enrolled early. Rivals rated him the #4 pro style QB in his class. He expected he’d compete with or back up Baker Mayfield and then have a clear chance to start. A month later, former five-star Kyler Murray announced his decision to transfer to OU. So Kendall backed up Mayfield for a year (while Murray sat out) and was then told to red shirt in 2017 while Murray backed up Mayfield. This past year, he backed up Murray. Next year, there’s another 4 star on the roster, the incoming top QB in the country (Rattler), the possibility of a Hurts transfer, and even the possibility that Murray will play baseball,pocket his $4.6 m signing bonus, and RETURN to OU for a senior year and then enter the NFL draft the following year (this would factor in his apparent preference for football, the likelihood his signing bonus for baseball>his 1st year salary in football, and wishful OU thinking).

Kendall could certainly think that he was blindsided by the Murray transfer and had never been given a real opportunity (though in 8 career games at OU, he completed 28-of-39 for 265 yards and three touchdowns) and that he might never start an OU game going forward. And that would be a bummer—and not just bc OU’s entering class includes 4 wide receivers (2 5 star and 2 4 star).

Since he has graduated, he can play right away and could enroll right now. My reading of the rules is that he would have TWO years of eligibility remaining.

He’s visited Auburn and is looking at West Virginia and us. All 3 schools have lost top tier qb’s. If Cut takes him, great. If not, I’m sure our current guys will also be fine.

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.c...up-quarterback
    https://247sports.com/player/spencer-rattler-87297/
    https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...e-list-sit-out
    Last edited by johnb; 01-16-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Kendall committed to OU in the fall of 2015 and enrolled early. Rivals rated him the #4 pro style QB in his class. He expected he’d compete with or back up Baker Mayfield and then have a clear chance to start. A month later, former five-star Kyler Murray announced his decision to transfer to OU. So Kendall backed up Mayfield for a year (while Murray sat out) and was then told to red shirt in 2017 while Murray backed up Mayfield. This past year, he backed up Murray. Next year, there’s another 4 star on the roster, the incoming top QB in the country (Rattler), the possibility of a Hurts transfer, and even the possibility that Murray will play baseball,pocket his $4.6 m signing bonus, and RETURN to OU for a senior year and then enter the NFL draft the following year (this would factor in his apparent preference for football, the likelihood his signing bonus for baseball>his 1st year salary in football, and wishful OU thinking).

Kendall could certainly think that he was blindsided by the Murray transfer and had never been given a real opportunity (though in 8 career games at OU, he completed 28-of-39 for 265 yards and three touchdowns) and that he might never start an OU game going forward. And that would be a bummer—and not just bc OU’s entering class includes 4 wide receivers (2 5 star and 2 4 star).

Since he has graduated, he can play right away and could enroll right now. My reading of the rules is that he would have TWO years of eligibility remaining.

He’s visited Auburn and is looking at West Virginia and us. All 3 schools have lost top tier qb’s. If Cut takes him, I’d think we should be thrilled. If not, I’m sure our current guys will also be fine.

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.c...up-quarterback
    https://247sports.com/player/spencer-rattler-87297/
    https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...e-list-sit-out
    I don't have insight into why Duke isn't considering him anymore, but it seems like a mistake. I like QH and know that it wouldn't be a good feeling to lose the job to a transfer, but I don't think he can lead the team to a successful season next year with the schedule. A different QB has a better chance.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don't have insight into why Duke isn't considering him anymore, but it seems like a mistake. I like QH and know that it wouldn't be a good feeling to lose the job to a transfer, but I don't think he can lead the team to a successful season next year with the schedule. A different QB has a better chance.
    I remember all of us being nervous and more than a few having doubts when we went to Baylor. We blew their doors off with a 40 point game, led by Harris. I have confidence in his abilities, and that was a nice game to instill that faith.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Tate Martell, the Ohio St. redshirt-FR quarterback this year, entered the transfer portal yesterday after Fields announced he was transferring to Ohio St. Martell was an ESPN 300 player. Though I know it will never happen, maybe we can get more of that Ohio St. to Duke magic pipeline going. With that said, Martell apparently followed three coaches on twitter. None were Cut. In any case, thought it was interesting thinking about the potential impact of Fields' transfer.
    Martell is headed to Miami.