Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Next year's QB?

Here's an interesting article about a 4-star from Mississippi who is a Georgia commit (kinda).

Word is that he is making a visit to Duke.

I didn't find out about this on my own..Shout out to you know who.

4-star QB commit John Rhys Plumlee is still a Bulldog …… for now

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Here's an interesting article about a 4-star from Mississippi who is a Georgia commit (kinda).

Plumlees do well at Duke. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Plumlees do well at Duke. Just sayin'
    He looks pretty good in that blue jersey....

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yes, you can. Have you seen some of those imposters out there?

You, of course, are fine. All 14 of you.
    Yeah, you're right. I mean lets face it elvis17 and elvis23 are real jerks!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Yeah, you're right. I mean lets face it elvis17 and elvis23 are real jerks!
    But they are the prime-ary elvises of the crew!

After that, your posts may be numbered.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

If a QB one year ahead of me (Fields) is transferring out after being evaluated as the 8th best hs recruit EVER (only 2 qb's ahead of him were Trevor Lawrence and Vince Young),
    https://247sports.com/Sport/Football...cruitRankings/

and the school has semi-rescinded my offer, putting me a summer behind everyone else,

and they'd recruited another, higher-rated qb in my class,

and Jake Fromm is around for a while,

then I'd be reconsidering my options as well.

It might also help if you've practiced being down and out in a piano bar. Here's Mr. Plumlee channeling his inner Billy Joel:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ge...as-billy-joel/

Isn't "elvi" the correct plural of "elvis"?

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Isn't "elvi" the correct plural of "elvis"?
    No, that would be the plural of Elvus.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    No, that would be the plural of Elvus.
    That's a great name for a Elvis impersonator barber shop quartet.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I saw Cutcliffe retweeted him after Christmas and thought it was interesting. We have a Singler working with the football team, why not a Plumlee playing for it?

Quote Originally Posted by MattC09 View Post
    I saw Cutcliffe retweeted him after Christmas and thought it was interesting. We have a Singler working with the football team, why not a Plumlee playing for it?
    If anyone knows recruiting in the 'Sip, David Cutcliffe would qualify as would Derek Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by MattC09 View Post
    It would suck sitting behind the "extended" Plumlee family when they come watch him play ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It would suck sitting behind the "extended" Plumlee family when they come watch him play ...
    And with my luck, they’d be the only row in the whole damn place that stood the entire game.

I wonder if Justin Fields' transfer from Georgia would open up a scholarship earlier for Plumlee. This article is from mid-December.

Also, Tate Martell, the Ohio St. redshirt-FR quarterback this year, entered the transfer portal yesterday after Fields announced he was transferring to Ohio St. Martell was an ESPN 300 player. Though I know it will never happen, maybe we can get more of that Ohio St. to Duke magic pipeline going. With that said, Martell apparently followed three coaches on twitter. None were Cut. In any case, thought it was interesting thinking about the potential impact of Fields' transfer.

"entering the transfer portal" is such a wonderful, ludicrous choice of words, thank you NCAA (someone there watched Star Trek I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    "entering the transfer portal" is such a wonderful, ludicrous choice of words, thank you NCAA (someone there watched Star Trek I guess).
    Not really, pretty common business terminology. It isn't an abstract concept to describe pending transfer status, there is literally a "transfer portal" that players submit their information to online which puts them in a database of players looking to transfer for other schools to access.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_portal

"Transfer portal" is a a specific implementation of a web portal. It would probably be a little more clean to say "submitted his name to the transfer portal", but also consider the phrasing is coming from the media reporting on it, not necessarily the NCAA themselves.

I used to have to submit information to various portals all the time in my last job (which was not IT related in any way other than that there was a computer at my desk).

Sorta like Flash Gordon or Star Trek? One enters the "transfer portal" in one uniform and walks out wearing a different one?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sorta like Flash Gordon or Star Trek? One enters the "transfer portal" in one uniform and walks out wearing a different one?
    yup. Yeah, I know it's used other places, another example of using more words when fewer would work just fine..."grad transfer" seemed pretty useful, portal or no portal.

yup. Yeah, I know it's used other places, another example of using more words when fewer would work just fine..."grad transfer" seemed pretty useful, portal or no portal.
    The reason the "portal" is being emphasized is because it is brand new. Previously, players just "announced" via twitter/the media "hey, I'm looking to transfer" and coaches would contact them or they would contact the coaches and pick a landing spot. Now they submit their information to the newly developed transfer portal, and coaches from all NCAA schools can browse the portal to see all the players seeking transfer, presumably with supporting information (no idea what information since I don't have access). You could call it something other than portal (transfer database, etc.) but you have to call it something. "Grad transfer" is a description of status ("he is a grad transfer"). Entering into the "transfer portal" is an actual [electronic] action, like getting in line at the bank or entering a raffle or registering for a website.