Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Next year's QB?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see where Jones goes. I don't believe 10% of the self appointed authorities, because teams (who have real professionals assessing guys, some better than others of course) don't go around
    telling ESPN writers who they really like in the draft, it's completely illogical. The BS gets stripped away on draft day. I think the good news for Jones is that he isn't so great that he'll be taken by a bottom dweller with an ultra early pick, rather he'll (hopefully) go to a good organization who can afford to bring him along slowly. Maybe in the first round, maybe the second or third, we'll see.
    He is a hot property right now. Several mocks in the past few days have him going in the first half of the first round, which could mean he is on a mediocre-lousy team. But, I agree with other that draft stock is best measured after the combine. Regardless, it is good for Duke to have one of our kids being talked about this way and it is sure to enhance our recruiting profile. QB is a big deal position (duuuh!) and if Daniel ever becomes a NFL starter, it would raise the profile of the Duke program rather significantly, I think.

-Jason "I've seen him mocked to the Dolphins and Redskins in the early teens in several draft guesses lately" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see where Jones goes. I don't believe 10% of the self appointed authorities, because teams (who have real professionals assessing guys, some better than others of course) don't go around
    telling ESPN writers who they really like in the draft, it's completely illogical. The BS gets stripped away on draft day. I think the good news for Jones is that he isn't so great that he'll be taken by a bottom dweller with an ultra early pick, rather he'll (hopefully) go to a good organization who can afford to bring him along slowly. Maybe in the first round, maybe the second or third, we'll see.
    Just wanted to pop in and say that, except for the last sentence, someone could make this exact same post for men's basketball in April. As in, word for word.

We've lost one "quarterback" named Jones to the draft. Hopefully, someway, somehow, we keep the other one another year in MBB.

Just thought this coincidence was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Just wanted to pop in and say that, except for the last sentence, someone could make this exact same post for men's basketball in April. As in, word for word.

We've lost one "quarterback" named Jones to the draft. Hopefully, someway, somehow, we keep the other one another year in MBB.

Eh, I'm hopeful that we win a national championship this year. And if we do, that almost certainly means the other Jones is going pro (he's probably going pro either way, but even more likely to if we win the title). If Jones is back next year, that most likely means this year won't have gone as well as expected/hoped for either Jones or for Duke. So, honestly, I hope Jones ISN'T back next year, as it most likely means this year left unfinished business on the table.

As for the Jones that this thread refers to, it's quite a career growth to go from being a lightly-recruited high school player to a potential 1st round pick. Lots of credit to both him and the staff for getting him to this point. I wouldn't have seen this coming even 2 years ago.
    Last edited by CDu; 01-03-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Agreed, though I wish that "package" would get lost in the mail...

Ree turn to sender
    Add dress unknown
    No such number
    No such zone

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Ree turn to sender
    Add dress unknown
    No such number
    No such zone
    One elvis is enough here.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

Good point. Hey, I'm a big fan of Daniel Jones, but there is a lot of irrational exuberance out there right now. I agree with everyone that the combine will be very important...beers will be on me if he goes in the first round (*).
    At the college level he gets an inordinate number of passes tipped or batted down at the line of scrimmage, which I mention partly because it matters, and party because having watched the Temple game several times, no one on the broadcast seems to have noticed that on the next play (I believe) after he caught his own tipped pass, his TD pass to the tight end was also tipped (enough to put a nice wobble on it). I got a kick out of that.

As for the less tall Mr. Tre Jones, the Womble Rule remains in effect: all players who win a national championship should feel free to move on to the NBA. Doesn't matter anyway, we know OAD fever is highly contagious,
    Tre will be joining his buds and bro next year unless his game somehow craters.

Fields headed to the Ohio State University.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Fields headed to the Ohio State University.
    Note sure if it's official but looking that way: http://www.espn.com/college-football...tate-next-week

Classic line from the link is from a redshirt freshman quarterback who threw down the gauntlet to Fields if Fields chooses OSU:

The Buckeyes will bring back redshirt freshman Tate Martell of Las Vegas, who was ranked the No. 127 player overall and No. 6 dual-threat quarterback in the 2017 ESPN 300. Martell completed 23 of 28 passes for 269 yards with 1 touchdown in 2018, while rushing for 128 yards with 2 scores.

In a tweet on Dec. 21, Martell seemed to warn Fields about picking Ohio State as a transfer destination: "word of advice: -- don't swing and miss ... especially not your second time."

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Note sure if it's official but looking that way: http://www.espn.com/college-football...tate-next-week

Classic line from the link is from a redshirt freshman quarterback who threw down the gauntlet to Fields if Fields chooses OSU:
    Geez. Imagine these guys together in the QB room.

Would Cut consider Hurts if he gains his transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by quahog174 View Post
    Would Cut consider Hurts if he gains his transfer?
    He has gained it...he's in the system. And I think Cut might consider it, but I don't think Cut would pursue it - and frankly I don't think there's any chance Hurts will consider Duke anyway. And I can certainly see some downside if he were to come to Duke.

He has gained it...he's in the system. And I think Cut might consider it, but I don't think Cut would pursue it - and frankly I don't think there's any chance Hurts will consider Duke anyway. And I can certainly see some downside if he were to come to Duke.
    We court get Hurt in football AND basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Hurts so good

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Hurts so good
    Love Hurts
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

must be the nike shoes.
    1200. DDMF.

Gets to play Alabama his first game and is coached by the QB whisperer- sounds like a good opportunity for him.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Hurts so good
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    must be the nike shoes.
    He might Hurt his toe.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    must be the nike shoes.
    Or the Kourt.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    One elvis is enough here.

Can you ever really have too many Elvises?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Can you ever really have too many Elvises?
    Yes, you can. Have you seen some of those imposters out there?

You, of course, are fine. All 14 of you.