Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Next year's QB?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Martell is headed to Miami.
    Didn't he play professionally for the Washington Sentinels? The Replacements, 2000.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Didn't he play professionally for the Washington Sentinels? The Replacements, 2000.
    Every time I read his name, that is exactly what pops into my head. I hope he has more heart!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    I don't have insight into why Duke isn't considering him anymore, but it seems like a mistake. I like QH and know that it wouldn't be a good feeling to lose the job to a transfer, but I don't think he can lead the team to a successful season next year with the schedule. A different QB has a better chance.
    There’s no fact based evidence to support your statement. It’s your privilege to share gut feel, opinion, and all that good fun fan stuff.

QH has performed admirably when he has had the opportunity.

This season’s schedule was tough, and compounded by injuries. Next season’s schedule appears to be tougher.

It might be another nailbiter of a season for bowl eligibility. I’d think our best chance for a good season offensively is QH. Perhaps this new towel waving WR coach can improve how our receiving corps handles the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    ... Perhaps this new towel waving WR coach can improve how our receiving corps handles the ball.
    While I'm on "The Replacements," maybe we should hire Clifford Franklin as the WR coach!

replacements clifford franklin.jpg

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    While I'm on "The Replacements," maybe we should hire Clifford Franklin as the WR coach!

replacements clifford franklin.jpg
    Without quoting it, I'll say that is one of the funniest lines in all of moviedom.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I remember all of us being nervous and more than a few having doubts when we went to Baylor. We blew their doors off with a 40 point game, led by Harris. I have confidence in his abilities, and that was a nice game to instill that faith.
    Absolutely agree with this.

And QH's press conferences, as I recall stating at the time, are really interesting. Remarkably poised and calm.

If someone beats him out for the job, so be it. But I'm more than comfortable with QH running the offense in the upcoming season (only 7+ months until kick-off!)

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Kendall committed to OU in the fall of 2015 and enrolled early. Rivals rated him the #4 pro style QB in his class. He expected he’d compete with or back up Baker Mayfield and then have a clear chance to start. A month later, former five-star Kyler Murray announced his decision to transfer to OU. So Kendall backed up Mayfield for a year (while Murray sat out) and was then told to red shirt in 2017 while Murray backed up Mayfield. This past year, he backed up Murray. Next year, there’s another 4 star on the roster, the incoming top QB in the country (Rattler), the possibility of a Hurts transfer, and even the possibility that Murray will play baseball,pocket his $4.6 m signing bonus, and RETURN to OU for a senior year and then enter the NFL draft the following year (this would factor in his apparent preference for football, the likelihood his signing bonus for baseball>his 1st year salary in football, and wishful OU thinking).

Kendall could certainly think that he was blindsided by the Murray transfer and had never been given a real opportunity (though in 8 career games at OU, he completed 28-of-39 for 265 yards and three touchdowns) and that he might never start an OU game going forward. And that would be a bummer—and not just bc OU’s entering class includes 4 wide receivers (2 5 star and 2 4 star).

Since he has graduated, he can play right away and could enroll right now. My reading of the rules is that he would have TWO years of eligibility remaining.

He’s visited Auburn and is looking at West Virginia and us. All 3 schools have lost top tier qb’s. If Cut takes him, great. If not, I’m sure our current guys will also be fine.

https://www.crimsonandcreammachine.c...up-quarterback
    https://247sports.com/player/spencer-rattler-87297/
    https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...e-list-sit-out
    And here is the official answer about why Kendall is leaving - Hurts to Oklahoma. This seemed fairly obvious - Kendall saw the handwriting on the wall that Hurts was coming and decided he better hustle and start looking around while he could.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...-senior-season

OU attempting to block immediate eligibility for Austin Kendall at West Virginia:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-...p1nwq2apdhzl8e

https://www.normantranscript.com/okl...3a17dc14a.html

Kendall entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal last week, has graduated and possesses two years of remaining eligibility. He is allowed to join West Virginia under NCAA rules, but OU is permitted to keep him from becoming eligible in 2019, thus limiting him to one year of eligibility.
    Seeing as Jalen Hurts is transferring into OU, it is really bad form that OU is hindering Kendall's efforts to move on. It appears the Sooners desire to have their cake and eat it too.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    OU attempting to block immediate eligibility for Austin Kendall at West Virginia:

Seeing as Jalen Hurts is transferring into OU, it is really bad form that OU is hindering Kendall's efforts to move on. It appears the Sooners desire to have their cake and eat it too.
    Interesting development. Wonder how Austin will respond. Will this influence him to take a serious look outside that conference?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    There’s no fact based evidence to support your statement. It’s your privilege to share gut feel, opinion, and all that good fun fan stuff.

QH has performed admirably when he has had the opportunity.

This season’s schedule was tough, and compounded by injuries. Next season’s schedule appears to be tougher.

It might be another nailbiter of a season for bowl eligibility. I’d think our best chance for a good season offensively is QH. Perhaps this new towel waving WR coach can improve how our receiving corps handles the ball.
    Not much fact to your post. Staff didn't trust QH to throw the ball against Northwestern. Sure he beat Baylor, but they weren't the Baylor of a few years ago. He threw an INT in the bowl game.

I want him to do well, but I'd take a 4-star QB that almost beat out a QB that almost won the Heisman. Cut's loyalty has been his downfall at times, hope it isn't the case again.

Cut's loyalty has been his downfall at times, hope it isn't the case again.
    The same Cutcliffe that didn't play Harris as an injured Daniel Jones led the way during our 6 game nose dive in 2017?
    If coach doesn't have faith in his player to win, he's not playing him, even at the cost of us losing. He found that faith this season, and I'm sure that he will have the confidence in him or Holmberg next season. That isn't the same as loyalty.

It is tacky, but I wonder if they'd block him outside the Big 12.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    It is tacky, but I wonder if they'd block him outside the Big 12.
    Pretty sure they can't, this is just a rule for intra-conference transfers.

Staff didn't trust QH to throw the ball against Northwestern.
    I disagree with your assessment.

Duke was winning 21-7, on the road, when Daniel Jones was injured at the end of the 3rd quarter. In the 4th quarter, the coaching staff decided to ride the defense by playing safe on offense to avoid a turnover giving NW a short field. Basically, Duke was playing not to lose.

The following week the game plan was prepared knowing Harris was the QB and Duke came out throwing the ball against Baylor.
    Bob Green

I disagree with your assessment.

Duke was winning 21-7, on the road, when Daniel Jones was injured at the end of the 3rd quarter. In the 4th quarter, the coaching staff decided to ride the defense by playing safe on offense to avoid a turnover giving NW a short field. Basically, Duke was playing not to lose.

The following week the game plan was prepared knowing Harris was the QB and Duke came out throwing the ball against Baylor.
    And, while the defense was so stout at NW, Harris did make a very key first down on a nice run, showing very good quickness. That was a big moment in the game.

It appears OU has reconsidered and will not block immediate eligibility:

http://www.espn.com/college-football...a-mountaineers

Kendall is expected to enroll at West Virginia next week.
    Bob Green

At OU it's not cake, it's cow pie ...

It appears OU has reconsidered and will not block immediate eligibility:

http://www.espn.com/college-football...a-mountaineers

Kendall is expected to enroll at West Virginia next week.
    This seems to me like a very similar situation to Cam Johnson’s transfer from Pitt. Johnson had graduated but had 2 years of eligibility remaining. But transferring within the ACC mandated he sit out a year. Pitt tried to prevent it but caved to pressure, thus Johnson was available last year for UNC.

Not much fact to your post. Staff didn't trust QH to throw the ball against Northwestern. Sure he beat Baylor, but they weren't the Baylor of a few years ago. He threw an INT in the bowl game.

I want him to do well, but I'd take a 4-star QB that almost beat out a QB that almost won the Heisman. Cut's loyalty has been his downfall at times, hope it isn't the case again.
    Two starts, two wins.
    3 TDs in each game including 60+ bombs.

You can play the “but NCCU is a weak opponent” which is offset by “had to come in and protect the Northwestern win”.

He has the confidence of his teammates, and experience in the system.

QH has done more than enough to have earned respect from fans and to have an opportunity to be the next starting QB.