Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Too much to expect this Louisville team to beat a 4.5 point spread up 7 with 17 seconds left. Not only did they blow the spread, they just about blew the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Too much to expect this Louisville team to beat a 4.5 point spread up 7 with 17 seconds left. Not only did they blow the spread, they just about blew the game.
    After they blew the spread, I was so hoping Clemson would win. Screwem

Completing my race back to mediocrity. 1-3 so far today for -1150.

I stand at +90 on the year now.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Completing my race back to mediocrity. 1-3 so far today for -1150.

I stand at +90 on the year now.
    https://www.gofundme.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yup, thought they would come back strong today-wrong again-went with all favorites today-have hope for better.......

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Looks like I'll be beautifully mediocre after these two games 3-1 +950

4-4 on the day -200

Wow, props to NYBri on a fantastic day!

This is about the highest praise I can give out: I actually think you're sharp when it comes to these ACC-only contests, NYBri. The results don't lie. You've won two years in a row and are now in 1st place this year.

8-2-1 today...but a little low on my wagers. Pitt's last miss cost me another 500....

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Wow, props to NYBri on a fantastic day!

This is about the highest praise I can give out: I actually think you're sharp when it comes to these ACC-only contests, NYBri. The results don't lie. You've won two years in a row and are now in 1st place this year.
    Many thanks. Luck is the greatest skill one can have in this game. 😎

Many miles before we sleep. 😎😎

I went 4 - 1 for 1,950 yesterday. Louisville not covering was my one loss.

I am not a degenerate gambler so the nuances of "beating the spread" or a "bad beat" are foreign to me...

However, I have an observation. If a team does or does not "beat the spread" we seem to "blame the team". Perhaps the experts who set the spread don't have a clue what they are doing...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I am not a degenerate gambler so the nuances of "beating the spread" or a "bad beat" are foreign to me...

However, I have an observation. If a team does or does not "beat the spread" we seem to "blame the team". Perhaps the experts who set the spread don't have a clue what they are doing...
    You really aren't in your element here, are you? And FTR, when people of DBR blame the team...I'm pretty sure that's just in jest.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    You really aren't in your element here, are you? And FTR, when people of DBR blame the team...I'm pretty sure that's just in jest.
    Just trying to understand some comments based on last nights game.

Duke wins by 16 and the spread is 17. The "team" some how underachieved by not winning by 18. From a team perspective they are just supposed to win, so a 16 , 17 or 18 point win does not matter to the team but does in the gambling world.

Duke wins by 16 and the spread is 17. The "team" some how underachieved by not winning by 18. From a team perspective they are just supposed to win, so a 16 , 17 or 18 point win does not matter to the team but does in the gambling world.
    First of all, this is just fun. If you lose sight of that, you've totally misunderstood the degenerates thread. That term is meant sarcastically, BTW. Thus, and secondly, a lot of the commentary is self deprecating or sarcastic as well. Third, "frustration" at a team for blowing a free throw or easy basket or what have you that flips the winner/loser of the bet is also done tongue in cheek.

If you can't accept those explanations, then you haven't yet understood the comments.

Agree that whether we win by 16 or 18 shouldn't determine how well a team played. However, if we only beat NCST by 2 at home I will feel a lot differently about the win than if we beat UVA by 2 at home. And I'm sure the team would as well.

To me the Vegas spreads and the KenPom/T-Rank-like predictive models from which they are built set a rough baseline for a "good" performance on a given night. Worrying about whether we beat the exact number (or even really about +/- 4 because of randomness) doesn't really matter to me.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

First of all, this is just fun. If you lose sight of that, you've totally misunderstood the degenerates thread. That term is meant sarcastically, BTW. Thus, and secondly, a lot of the commentary is self deprecating or sarcastic as well. Third, "frustration" at a team for blowing a free throw or easy basket or what have you that flips the winner/loser of the bet is also done tongue in cheek.

If you can't accept those explanations, then you haven't yet understood the comments.
    Thanks. That helps me understand the friendly banter

Thanks. That helps me understand the friendly banter
    FWIW, I had State to cover so I think Duke did perfectly. But I was sweating the end, even let out an involuntary cheer when State hit a late shot to keep the spread at only a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Agree that whether we win by 16 or 18 shouldn't determine how well a team played. However, if we only beat NCST by 2 at home I will feel a lot differently about the win than if we beat UVA by 2 at home. And I'm sure the team would as well.

To me the Vegas spreads and the KenPom/T-Rank-like predictive models from which they are built set a rough baseline for a "good" performance on a given night. Worrying about whether we beat the exact number (or even really about +/- 4 because of randomness) doesn't really matter to me.
    Of course the psychology of sports influences our perception. A 2 point win at Louisville feels much more satisfying because of the way it occurred than the win vs ncsu where duke could never quite put the game away until the end

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    FWIW, I had State to cover so I think Duke did perfectly. But I was sweating the end, even let out an involuntary cheer when State hit a late shot to keep the spread at only a dozen.
    Tre with the steal and pass ahead to Goldwire almost sabotaged you...(and me)

Tre with the steal and pass ahead to Goldwire almost sabotaged you...(and me)
    Yeah, I hate rooting against us crushing someone so I usually just pass when I don’t think we will cover.

But this is a degenerate contest, if it was real I would have sat pat when I had about +8700. No fun in that though.