Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    No love for Len Bias? He was amazing, maybe the best college player I have seen
    Oh, we all know the greatness of Len Bias, one of the very best college basketball players in history. And he was almost as exciting to watch as the incomparable Michael Jordan. That being said, in my eyes the greatest college basketball player of all time was the legendary Larry Bird. He was spectacular at virtually EVERYTHING — outside shooting, inside shooting, FT shooting, steals, rebounding, passing, and leadership. You name it and Larry Bird could do it.

The fact that he took an otherwise below average team, Indiana State, with a below average coach, all the way to the very pinnacle of college basketball — the NCAA Championship game — is an achievement that has never been matched in the modern era of the sport. In my fantasy all-time greatest team I start with Larry Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Oh, we all know the greatness of Len Bias, one of the very best college basketball players in history. And he was almost as exciting to watch as the incomparable Michael Jordan. That being said, in my eyes the greatest college basketball player of all time was the legendary Larry Bird. He was spectacular at virtually EVERYTHING — outside shooting, inside shooting, FT shooting, steals, rebounding, passing, and leadership. You name it and Larry Bird could do it.

The fact that he took an otherwise below average team, Indiana State, with a below average coach, all the way to the very pinnacle of college basketball — the NCAA Championship game — is an achievement that has never been matched in the modern era of the sport. In my fantasy all-time greatest team I start with Larry Bird.
    Carmelo Anthony says hello. Except for the below average coaching part.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

No Pete Maravich?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    No Pete Maravich?
    All time scoring leader and the greatest #23 in college basketball history.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    No love for Len Bias? He was amazing, maybe the best college player I have seen
    Shortly after Bias died, Johnny Dawkins made some comments about Bias that made me think Dawkins thought Bias was the best he'd ever seen...can't remember exactly what he said, but I remember at the time thinking Dawkins was putting Bias ahead of Jordan...as Dawkins had to face both during his career.

And I remember thinking...man....Bias and Bird at the forwards? What a combo.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Vitale included Laettner in his top 4 - Laettner, Ewing, Sampson and Jordan.
    If (and I'm not sure it is) the discussion is about the best college players, any list without David Thompson is nonsensical. Anyone who watched his career knows this is true.
    (just noted that Vitale said Thompson was before his time? Not sure how that can be)

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    If (and I'm not sure it is) the discussion is about the best college players, any list without David Thompson is nonsensical. Anyone who watched his career knows this is true.
    (just noted that Vitale said Thompson was before his time? Not sure how that can be)
    From Dick Vitale's Wiki bio: "He called ESPN's first college basketball game on December 5, 1979, when DePaul defeated Wisconsin 90–77.[6] His first play-by-play partner was Joe Boyle."

This was just after Vitale was fired as head coach of the Detroit Pistons.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I would rank Alcindor higher than anyone, Walton included.

Alcindor was just unstoppable. Huge, athletic, skilled, intelligent, competitive. The perfect basketball player.

And he could fly a 747 ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    And he could fly a 747 ...
    Just don't call him Shirley

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    1993-94 Duke roster, minutes and assists. The guards were Capel and Collins -- let's all agree that Chris Collins was not a point guard. Capel was more of a combo guard but had many fewer assists than Grant. Marty Clark was also not a point guard. IIRC (and there is always a first time), Grant would bring the ball up the court during crunch time.

Player Min Ast
    Grant Hill 1213 176
    Cherokee Parks 1038 31
    Antonio Lang 1023 35
    Chris Collins 1055 77
    Jeff Capel 899 108
    Marty Clark 696 58

Erik Meek 474 13
    Carmen Wallace 45 1
    Greg Newton 115 9
    Kenny Blakeney 102 14
    Joey Beard 64 3
    Tony Moore 69 3
    Stan Brunson 7 1
    when it mattered, Grant Hill was bringing the ball up and facilitating the offense. He basically did everything that year. The best scorer, ball handler, passer, defender.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I dunno, Reddevil. He was a very exciting player at UNC. I remember seeing Jordan play at the ACC's in the early '80s. If he had a breakaway, the ACC crowd would stand and start screaming as he reached mid-court, knowing how fast he was and how athletic the dunk was gonna be. The crowd didn't do that for anyone else.
    To me Jordan was much like Westbrook in college. He was very good, but no one saw a player that could dominate in the NBA. The college game has seen many very good players, but when talking about all time greats I didn't see it, and I watched all of it. He was a very good player on a very good team, nothing more. David Thompson on the other hand was extraordinary. I think even Jordan said as much. A 44" verticle was unheard of then. NBA careers have to be blocked out when judging the college game.

From Dick Vitale's Wiki bio: "He called ESPN's first college basketball game on December 5, 1979, when DePaul defeated Wisconsin 90–77.[6] His first play-by-play partner was Joe Boyle."

This was just after Vitale was fired as head coach of the Detroit Pistons.
    He should have been fired from ESPN for incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    He should have been fired from ESPN for incompetence.
    Nah, personally I hate hearing Dickie V do a game...but I can't second your motion...he's been good for ESPN and college hoops ratings in the big picture. And that was his job.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Nah, personally I hate hearing Dickie V do a game...but I can't second your motion...he's been good for ESPN and college hoops ratings in the big picture. And that was his job.
    Agree. I’m not especially fond of how Dick Vitale calls a game, but I love his genuine enthusiasm and energy. He’s been great for college basketball, in my opinion.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. A couple years ago I watched a Duke/Carolina game from the late 80's on ESPN Classic where Dickie V did color commentary. A lot less schtick, a lot more basketball insight. I learned a lot watching him.

More on topic, I wondering, whether more for next years recruits, rather than year's but still relevant. Has the look and feel of this year's team made us even more attractive to potential recruits?

A lot of this depends on age. I imprinted on guys like Oscar Robertson, Jerry West and Jerry Lucas in college and this rank them high.

If I were a decade older, I likely would more highly value the college careers of someone like Bill Russell, Bob Cousy or Tom Gola.

If were two decades older, George Mikan or Bob Kurland.

Maravich? Great players make their teammates better. Maravich never made his teammates better.

Bird made his teammates better. Magic made his teammates better.

Speaking of Bird elevating ISU to a title game, in 1958 Elgin Baylor averaged 32.5 points and 19.3 rebounds per game, leading Seattle to the NCAA title game, where they lost to Kentucky.

Seattle in the NCAA title game is at least as unlikely as Indiana State in the title game.

I suspect those days are gone. Cinderella's can make the Final Four, as happened with Loyola last year. But the power conferences seem to have the titles wrapped up. We have to go back to UNLV in 1990 to find a champion from a minor conference.

As for Anthony Davis or Carmelo Anthony, I'm not sure how we can rank a one-and-done over a comparable three-or-four-year player in evaluating a career rather than a season.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    All time scoring leader and the greatest #23 in college basketball history.
    whoa...lebron never even went to college...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Shortly after Bias died, Johnny Dawkins made some comments about Bias that made me think Dawkins thought Bias was the best he'd ever seen...can't remember exactly what he said, but I remember at the time thinking Dawkins was putting Bias ahead of Jordan...as Dawkins had to face both during his career.

And I remember thinking...man...Bias and Bird at the forwards? What a combo.
    Being a Boston fan, I remember for that very short time after the draft, Boston already had a slogan ready: "Bird and Bias, come on and try us."

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Zeus View Post
    Being a Boston fan, I remember for that very short time after the draft, Boston already had a slogan ready: "Bird and Bias, come on and try us."
    I think it would have been something to see.

I've always thought that loss set the Celtics back 15 years. I mean, it was sad for many other reasons, but the Celtics franchise was certainly collateral damage to this shocking tragedy - one that touched the nation way above and beyond hoops.

I think it would have been something to see.

I've always thought that loss set the Celtics back 15 years. I mean, it was sad for many other reasons, but the Celtics franchise was certainly collateral damage to this shocking tragedy - one that touched the nation way above and beyond hoops.
    If you really want to play what-might-have-been, imagine Bias teaming up with Reggie Lewis until 2000 or so.