Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I should probably leave this to YmoBeThere, but I feel oddly compelled to step in and try to defend Vandy's reputation.

You are probably right if you consider the past 3 years. The Bryce Drew era at Vandy probably hasn't been a step up from the Johnny Dawkins era at UCF. Additionally, UCF seems to be putting a lot of emphasis on big time sports, so who knows what the trajectory holds for the next 10 years. While I wouldn't bet a pie on it, it is entirely possible that UCF could be as strong of a program as Vandy in 2025.

However, prior to Johnny and Bryce arriving at their respective schools, you could make an fair argument for Vandy as a top 50 basketball program, while UCF was barely on anyone's radar.

Here's some perspective.

Weeks ranked in the AP Poll (1949-2016)
    Vandy: 204 (43rd best)
    UCF: 4 (171st best)

Weeks ranked in the AP Poll (2000-2016)
    Vandy: 60 (47th best)
    UCF: 4 (101st best)

NCAA tournament bids, 12 seed or higher (2000-2016)
    Vandy: 7
    UCF: 0 (in fairness, UCF had appearances as a 14 seed and a 15 seed from the American Sun conference)

Seasons ranked in KenPom top 50 (2001-2016)
    Vandy: 9
    UCF: 0

Seasons ranked in KenPom top 100 (2001-2016)
    Vandy: 15
    UCF: 2
    Vandy most certainly has more (better) basketball history. However their resources are similar (despite being in the SEC, Vandy's athletic revenue is just barely more than UCF's currently), and while UCF is certainly focused on football I get the impression that they are placing a large emphasis on sports generally, so there may actually be more institutional support there than Vandy. Unless the money is significantly better (and I don't see any reason that it would be) I'm not sure there is a strong argument for Vandy as a better coaching destination than UCF currently (it certainly would have been in years past, but the emphasis on athletics at UCF appears to be recent and picking up steam).

This is more an indication of changes at UCF than an indictment of Vandy (although I do think Vandy is less appealing now than it would have been 10 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I may have the details wrong, but I understand that Aubrey Dawkins may return to UCF, after which he would be eligible for Social Security.
    Actually, he was eligible this year. There has been an inquiry as to weather this would impact his amateur status, but there aren't many precedents to guide the way.

The bigger issue is that he has now earned every degree that UCF has to offer.

I hear Sketchers wants to sign him in a big way, his name will go on their new basketball shoe with Velcro closure!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Actually, he was eligible this year. There has been an inquiry as to weather this would impact his amateur status, but there aren't many precedents to guide the way.
    Can we expect a storm to be brewing?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Vandy most certainly has more (better) basketball history. However their resources are similar (despite being in the SEC, Vandy's athletic revenue is just barely more than UCF's currently), and while UCF is certainly focused on football I get the impression that they are placing a large emphasis on sports generally, so there may actually be more institutional support there than Vandy. Unless the money is significantly better (and I don't see any reason that it would be) I'm not sure there is a strong argument for Vandy as a better coaching destination than UCF currently (it certainly would have been in years past, but the emphasis on athletics at UCF appears to be recent and picking up steam).

This is more an indication of changes at UCF than an indictment of Vandy (although I do think Vandy is less appealing now than it would have been 10 years ago).
    I agree entirely. Vandy has much a much better history/tradition, but UCF seems to be on a much better trajectory.

The real question for Johnny is whether UCF can maintain this trajectory. Otherwise, they may join the ranks of schools (like Cleveland State, George Mason, Loyola Marymount, UAB or Fresno St) who rose from relative obscurity to a few years of national relevance and are now back to being just another "Quadrant 3-type program" where an NIT bid constitutes a good season.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

UCF was a smaller school not that long ago, when they decided to take advantage of Florida's exploding population - and turn it into a large school with big time athletics. They are more central to Florida than Gainsville, Tallahassee or Miami...and they intend on becoming one of, if not THE, university in Florida for athletics. That was laughable ten years ago. Now? Not so much...

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I agree entirely. Vandy has much a much better history/tradition, but UCF seems to be on a much better trajectory.

The real question for Johnny is whether UCF can maintain this trajectory. Otherwise, they may join the ranks of schools (like Cleveland State, George Mason, Loyola Marymount, UAB or Fresno St) who rose from relative obscurity to a few years of national relevance and are now back to being just another "Quadrant 3-type program" where an NIT bid constitutes a good season.
    I think UCF has an advantage over these other schools in that they have a decent football program, and are in a higher level conference. For football, probably the best of the group of six, and basketball one with some history. They also seem to have the resources to move forward.

Johnny's agent might also be leveraging the somewhat logical fit of him going to Vandy and his recent success and positive PR to get him a raise at UCF.

Alabama hired Buffalo's coach Nate Oats. He seems to have done a good job in his four years at Buffalo but I really think he is setting himself up to fail. Prior to being the head coach at Buffalo he was Bobby Hurley's assistant there. Prior to that he was a HS coach outside Detroit. Alabama is a tough enough job as it is, and he seems to have no ties to the area. I wish him the best of luck, but sometimes I think it isn't always wise to chase the big money and alleged prestige - he had just signed a nice extension at Buffalo.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...ats-head-coach

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    UCF was a smaller school not that long ago, when they decided to take advantage of Florida's exploding population - and turn it into a large school with big time athletics. They are more central to Florida than Gainsville, Tallahassee or Miami...and they intend on becoming one of, if not THE, university in Florida for athletics. That was laughable ten years ago. Now? Not so much...
    The University of Central Florida, or UCF, is a state university in Orlando, Florida. It has more students enrolled on campus than any other U.S. college or university. 68,571 (Fall 2018)

Time is on UCF's side as their alumni population grows and eventually exceeds that of the Gators and Seminoles.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

The bigger issue is that he has now earned every degree that UCF has to offer.

I hear Sketchers wants to sign him in a big way, his name will go on their new basketball shoe with Velcro closure!
    I've seen the mock-ups for a big campaign for sketchers new mall-walking shoe: the Aubrey.

It's sick!

UCF is part of a newly emerging potential basketball power-conference. They aren't kidding around.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    UCF is part of a newly emerging potential basketball power-conference. They aren't kidding around.
    Could see UCF joining ACC after next defection. Maybe replace the Cheats when their football rises to SEC standards🏆

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Could see UCF joining ACC after next defection. Maybe replace the Cheats when their football rises to SEC standards🏆
    Maybe before. We do have an odd number of members. One more could even out the divisions.

I know we are talking men's coaching changes. But Holly Warlick out at UT after 7 seasons.Following a legend..My first thought was that she had been HC 7 seasons? I would have never guessed it to be that long. I miss Pat. Such a sad horrible disease..

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    It would be nice to see ECU catch up in the AAF. The Pirates take football seriously, but good lord are they ever bad in basketball. And poor old UCONN...how the mighty have fallen.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    It seems like only yesterday that USF was the "up-and-coming" Florida sports school. Now, UCF seems to have supplanted USF in that role.*

Not sure what the magic formula is to sustain this trajectory, but UCF certainly seems to have several things going for it: large and growing enrollment, commitment to athletics, solid football program, respectable hoops conference, Johnny Dawkins, and a modestly skilled 7'6" hoops player.

*If UCF can't hold the mantle, will Florida International be next in line? For what I can tell, FIU's enrollment is also in the top 5 nationally.

Johnny should stay there - at at least for another year. Consolidate his winning team and get a much better offer than Vanderbilt has at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I read "rises to SEC standards", which just seemed like such an impossibility, and was poised to correct you. However, I realized you were talking about UNC, so ... point taken!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    And poor old UCONN...how the mighty have fallen.
    Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I know we are talking men's coaching changes. But Holly Warlick out at UT after 7 seasons.
    Coach G mentioned as a possibility:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...-holly-warlick

The headline and copy uses "whom" ("Whom will Tennessee hire to replace head coach Holly Warlick?"). This sounds wrong, but I'm not the greatest grammarian. The URL uses "who".