Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Cluess has withdrawn his name in a statement that all but says he’d have taken the job if it was offered. I wonder if Cragg will quit? Assuming he has no power, and the powers-that-be have proven to be completely at odds with each other, he should get out and try and salvage his rep.
    Emailed him this AM: "Hang in there" Got a nice response. Good guy. Hoping he stays and puts the house in order.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Actually Cragg.

The Gardens has its charms...Oldest planned community in the US...sister community to Hampstead Garden Heath in London. And no renovation or teardowns without approval by the board of the Gardens Corp. (quasi HOA)
    That by far makes the most sense - too many Mikes! I didn't know about the no tear down rule - great idea. I have family friends who live there, as well as a former colleague - it is a great neighborhood. And I believe Peter Parker lived there?

Hopefully Cragg will keep his job and stick around, though I'm not sure if that is actually what he wants at this point given all of the drama...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    That by far makes the most sense - too many Mikes! I didn't know about the no tear down rule - great idea. I have family friends who live there, as well as a former colleague - it is a great neighborhood. And I believe Peter Parker lived there?

Hopefully Cragg will keep his job and stick around, though I'm not sure if that is actually what he wants at this point given all of the drama...
    Peter Parker did...although in the movies (at least the first) the house used was in another section of Forest Hills - a better representation of where Aunt May and Uncle Ben would have lived: 88-39 69th Road between Metropolitan Avenue and Sybilla Street. (Classic "Gardens-vicinity" house)

Attachment 9337

Interesting coincidence. He "lived" at 20 Ingram Street (actually right around the corner from me). For many years, Suzanne and Andy PARKER lived there. Had a number of fanboys visiting them when the movie was released. And, right across the street lived a Terry OSBOURNE (spelling off, though).

And to continue hijacking this thread (sorry, all!), it's not just a tear-down rule. ANY alternations have to be approved. A pain sometimes, but if you know what's been happening in greater Forest Hills (i.e., those McMansions), I am glad we have the rules.

Emailed him this AM: "Hang in there" Got a nice response. Good guy. Hoping he stays and puts the house in order.
    It doesn't seem that he is empowered to do so.

It doesn't seem that he is empowered to do so.
    Completely agree. This was my reply to Mike:

"As a business guy (38 years with Deloitte, 27 as audit partner before mandatory retirement), this dysfunction is maddening to me. I’m not privy to the discussions of course, but if you hire someone, you have to empower him/her to do their job (i.e., what he/she is hired to do)."

Looks like Cluess (Iona) has pulled out now. Just getting worse...Suspect that there is/will be a flurry of activity at Newman Hall (admin) over this Easter break...and there should be.

Great old-ish Ian O'Connor article about Cluess and his family and legacy at St. Johns
    http://www.espn.com/new-york/story/_...memories-alive

How did they not hire this guy?

Great old-ish Ian O'Connor article about Cluess and his family and legacy at St. Johns
    http://www.espn.com/new-york/story/_...memories-alive

How did they not hire this guy?
    So they are left Clue(l)ess?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    So they are left Clue(l)ess?
    ...yes...in more ways than one...

There are now reports that St. Johns is considering Paul Hewitt.

Isn't he still getting paid by Georgia Tech?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    There are now reports that St. Johns is considering Paul Hewitt.

Isn't he still getting paid by Georgia Tech?
    Well, the Big East style of play would suit him well.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

NY Post reporting that SJU about to hire ex-Arkansas coach, Mike Anderson. No NY ties.

NY Post reporting that SJU about to hire ex-Arkansas coach, Mike Anderson. No NY ties.
    It is official, Anderson has been hired. The press release begins with this line:

One of the most successful coaches in Division I over the past two decades, Mike Anderson has been named the 21st head coach in the history of the St. John's Men's Basketball program.
    "One of" is certainly a subjective standard and not quantifiable in any meaningful way, but I would say a dude who went to the Sweet 16 one time in 13 seasons at Mizzu and Arkansas is more likely "one of" the weaker coaches in B12 and SEC over the past two decades.

-Jason "he's 59... I just think this is a really strange hire for St. John's" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-19-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is official, Anderson has been hired. The press release begins with this line:

"One of" is certainly a subjective standard and not quantifiable in any meaningful way, but I would say a dude who went to the Sweet 16 one time in 13 seasons at Mizzu and Arkansas is more likely "one of" the weaker coaches in B12 and SEC over the past two decades.

-Jason "he's 59... I just think this is a really strange hire for St. John's" Evans
    I agree that it is an odd higher as he is older, has only been moderately successful, and has no ties to the northeast and more specifically NY. He will need some very good local assistants.

However, this article suggests the idea came from Duke

https://nypost.com/2019/04/18/st-johns-on-the-verge-of-hiring-mike-anderson-as-new-coach/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree that it is an odd higher as he is older, has only been moderately successful, and has no ties to the northeast and more specifically NY. He will need some very good local assistants.
    However, this article suggests the idea came from Duke
    https://nypost.com/2019/04/18/st-joh...new-coach/amp/
    The front page article on today's DBR offers a link to a piece that goes into more detail on the Duke connection to Anderson:

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/p...pt_credirect=1
    "This so called "odd fit" came about with help from an unlikely source. Former Duke University guard and current Pittsburg head coach Jeff Capel, who played against Arkansas in the 1994 NCAA title game, got the ball rolling with Anderson to St John's after a conversation with his wife. St. Johns AD Mike Gragg described it this way: "Jeff is one of my closest friends. His wife, Kanika, over their breakfast table, said, ‘Have you told Mike about Coach Anderson?’ So obviously that was the starting point. He got Mike's phone number. Then I called Coach K (Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski) and he said, ‘Wow. If you can get him, that’d be amazing.’ And so guess what I did?" Upon hearing the news that Gragg had hired Anderson Krzyzewski posted the following on a St. John's basketball fan site: "What a terrific hire for St. John's! Mike Anderson is a winner. Period. I have always been impressed with Mike going back to his days as an assistant coach under the legendary Nolan Richardson at Arkansas. He has a championship level pedigree and is an accomplished coach at the highest levels of our sport. He is going to love working with Mike Gragg as together they'll build an elite culture and basketball program at St. John's."

The Macchiavellian in me says Capel didn't want to battle someone more formidable as he has been extremely active in the NY scene since taking over at Pitt, but I doubt Jeff is that kind of Sneaky Pete...unless he is.

Mike seems like a solid guy to me. We needed some calm on the waters. I have an open mind. Glad the turmoil is behind us and we can focus on the recruiting and court time.

UCLA Coaching Search - Inside Story and Possible Implication for Duke

Here are two accounts, both very similar on the UCLA coaching search.

LA Times

Bruin Report On Line

The Bruin Report has more analysis and opinion. One thought you gather from them is that it is hard to hire a big name coach. They may have big buyouts and/or be using you as leverage for a better deal at their school. It is even harder to hire a big time coach and maintain high standards for conduct. Some you might want could get implicated in the FBI scandal, others have personal issues that rule them out.

Bruin Report also raises the question as to what will schools like Duke do when the coaching job becomes vacant? It is somewhat easy to think Duke can just hire a former Duke player but how many of them are proven big time successes? Maybe by the time K does retire one or more will have elevated himself but its hard to say that any have been big time consistent winners.

Duke does have several advantages over UCLA. Evidently several coaches or their wives just hate LA. UCLA's recent track record with coaches is dismal. What is not in the piece is that Kevin White (at least in my opinion) is a far superior AD to Dan Guerrero. I would assume that Coach K will also help in the process. I really don't know the donor situation at Duke. UCLA has some with big bucks who were willing to help.

I hope we don't face it for many years.

SoCal

PS One thing in both accounts is that Rick Barnes accepted the UCLA offer, then his financial advisor tried for a better deal, UCLA said no and dropped Barnes, who came back and said he would take the original deal.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    One thing in both accounts is that Rick Barnes accepted the UCLA offer, then his financial advisor tried for a better deal, UCLA said no and dropped Barnes, who came back and said he would take the original deal.
    --- and then UCLA said NO.

Bad bad look for Barnes. Back in Knoxville, can you say AWWWWKWAAAARD? As I heard one commenter say, he's gonna need to start 15-0 next season for this stink to even start to wash off.

The front page article on today's DBR offers a link to a piece that goes into more detail on the Duke connection to Anderson:

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/p...pt_credirect=1
    "This so called "odd fit" came about with help from an unlikely source. Former Duke University guard and current Pittsburg head coach Jeff Capel, who played against Arkansas in the 1994 NCAA title game, got the ball rolling with Anderson to St John's after a conversation with his wife. St. Johns AD Mike Gragg described it this way: "Jeff is one of my closest friends. His wife, Kanika, over their breakfast table, said, ‘Have you told Mike about Coach Anderson?’ So obviously that was the starting point. He got Mike's phone number. Then I called Coach K (Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski) and he said, ‘Wow. If you can get him, that’d be amazing.’ And so guess what I did?" Upon hearing the news that Gragg had hired Anderson Krzyzewski posted the following on a St. John's basketball fan site: "What a terrific hire for St. John's! Mike Anderson is a winner. Period. I have always been impressed with Mike going back to his days as an assistant coach under the legendary Nolan Richardson at Arkansas. He has a championship level pedigree and is an accomplished coach at the highest levels of our sport. He is going to love working with Mike Gragg as together they'll build an elite culture and basketball program at St. John's."

The Macchiavellian in me says Capel didn't want to battle someone more formidable as he has been extremely active in the NY scene since taking over at Pitt, but I doubt Jeff is that kind of Sneaky Pete...unless he is.
    Hopefully, Coach K didn't actually spell Mike Cragg's name wrong

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    --- and then UCLA said NO.

Bad bad look for Barnes. Back in Knoxville, can you say AWWWWKWAAAARD? As I heard one commenter say, he's gonna need to start 15-0 next season for this stink to even start to wash off.
    That was PTI & you are correct. Barnes looks bad with all this. I always thought he was just using UCLA for a pay raise, which he got, but then he couldn't keep his mouth shut.

So which former star from the 2000's is going to have the most wins next season - Juwan Howard (Michigan), Penny Hardaway (Memphis), or Jerry Stackhouse (Vanderbilt)? Lil' Penny has the best recruiting class, but Howard has more actual coaching experience and I wouldn't be surprised if he adds another player or two. Stackhouse has the least to work with (I think they 0-fer in the conference last season, with numerous close losses) so probably not him unless they get a really easy schedule.