Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    More speculation - this article adds Doc Rivers, Chris Collins and Buzz Williams to the list of names.

https://apple.news/AbPVOLRsYSb6xK7qxQkM60Q

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    A friend of mine who is a big UCLA fan wanted him gone within 5 minutes of losing to Liberty at home.

If you live you on the Best Coast that clearly you should want UCLA to hire Bill Walton. Would get on the TV as a color man. He is horrible.

SoCal
    I don't think Walton is interested, but he offered up his suggestion during last night's broadcast.

Tom Thibodeau Fired by Timberwolves:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-tom-thibodeau

Thibs is friends with Coach K from their time coaching the Olympic team together. I think he's great and I'm sure he will get another good gig. Maybe he should coach UCLA. Southern Cal would def be a nice change of climate from Minneapolis this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post

Thibs is friends with Coach K from their time coaching the Olympic team together. I think he's great and I'm sure he will get another good gig. Maybe he should coach UCLA. Southern Cal would def be a nice change of climate from Minneapolis this time of year.
    Especially since Hoiberg is now a candidate for HC or GM in Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post

Thibs and the So Cal area not a great fit IMO. He is a quality coach however.

Appropriate to talk about coaches on the hot seat?

Is Chris C. there? There has been lots of discussion of Bryce Drew on the Vandy pages.

Houston Chronicle: Texas A&M's Billy Kennedy won't be back

A&M's top target is expected to be Virginia Tech coach Buzz Williams, a native Texan and a former A&M assistant under Billy Gillispie from 2004-06.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Buzz is a freak but he’s a good coach and I’m not confident that VPI can get an equal replacement so I hope he stays put. He’d be at a football school either way but at least he’s in a hoops conference now.

Shaver out at William & Mary.

Shaver did a great job at W&M (even if he is a Tar Heel). When you consider it being a small school with the tough academics recruiting can be difficult. Shaver found a way to keep them competitive in the CAA most the time.

From here it will be interesting to see where William & Mary goes for a coach. They are still without a Big Dance berth and really want to get over that hump. They might look to Pitt at Jason Capel and Milan Brown. Both have ties to the area and Hampton Roads/Virginia has some talent.

https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/william-and-mary/unexpectedly-william-mary-dismisses-basketball-coach-tony-shaver/article_f5dc4cb8-85f0-551a-91da-8f1b3f74f75b.html
    Last edited by BeachBlueDevil; 03-13-2019 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Forgot link

Dunleavy out at Tulane.

Another one bites the dust as Matt Matheny is fired at Elon with 2 years remaining on his contract (he just got an extension). Elon is no basketball powerhouse, but their performance has been pretty bad with him at the helm and they just built a new gym, so presumably they felt they needed to capitalize before any momentum from the new facilities was lost and Mathaney wasn't getting it done. I expect he'll land on someone's staff as an assistant in one of the smaller conferences.

http://www.elonnewsnetwork.com/artic...-matheny-fired

As an Elon alum, I was excited when Matt was hired (he was an assistant at Davidson prior) but was ready to see him go after years of lackluster performance and making absolutely no noise in the conference tournaments during his tenure (made it out of the first round just 3 times since 2009). Certainly don't expect a flashy hire, this won't change the basketball landscape but I'll be curious to see who they bring in.

They also had 3 players just announce they were transferring on Friday. Interestingly, that leaves Elon with only 6 returning scholarship players and 2 incoming commits (assuming they stay committed). The question is, were the players transferring because Mathaney was keeping his job and the mass transfer forced the AD's hand (in which case maybe some or all of the three transfers decide to stay), or had they been tipped off that Mathaney was on his way out and left because they wanted him to stay?

St. Joseph's fires Phil Martelli after 34 years (10 as an assistant coach, 24 as head coach).

Of interest to ACC fans: former BC coach Al Skinner has ended his tenure at Kennesaw State.

ESPN has not started its Coaching Changes page yet, so here's the 2019 Coaching Carousel from NBC Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    St. Joseph's fires Phil Martelli after 34 years (10 as an assistant coach, 24 as head coach). ...
    This is surprising, if only that they didn't reach agreement on announcing this as a retirement. With his tenure and reputation, I'd like to think that they gave him that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    Shaver did a great job at W&M (even if he is a Tar Heel). When you consider it being a small school with the tough academics recruiting can be difficult. Shaver found a way to keep them competitive in the CAA most the time.
    Guess he didn't bring the Carolina Way with him...

Bryce Drew out at Vandy

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Bryce Drew out at Vandy
    Presumably, YmoBeThere will be pleased.
    Story.

Arrivederci Avery at Alabama.

That should spin the carousel a turn or two ...

From the DBR news affiliate in The Dump on The Hump: Roy Williams has been the offered the head coaching position at all schools mentioned, thus far, but has decided to remain in his current role.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Bryce Drew out at Vandy
    Didn't they just hire him? How many years was he even there? 2? 3?

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Didn't they just hire him? How many years was he even there? 2? 3?

- Chillin
    Pretty sure this was just his third year. 0-18 in the conference will leave a mark I guess, no matter which year.