Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast
    There are 10 Dukies on NFL rosters -- only four were drafted: Daniel, Laken, Jamison and Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    There are 10 Dukies on NFL rosters -- only four were drafted: Daniel, Laken, Jamison and Ross.
    Let me go on. If you take a three-year moving average of Duke players taken in the NFL draft (current year plus two previous), this is what you get:

2019 0.33
    2018 -
    2017 0.67
    2016 1.00
    2015 1.33
    2014 0.67
    2013 0.33
    2012 -
    2011 -
    2010 -
    2009 -
    2008 -
    2007 -
    2006 0.33
    2005 0.33
    2004 0.33
    2003 -

Duke players don't often get taken in the NFL draft. Like we went for eight straight years, from 2005-2012, without a single player being chosen.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I think the question here is the wisdom of JGH leaving a year early and then not being drafted. It's one thing to be an UDFA after college, it's another to leave early and not get drafted. That said, it may work out as the best thing for JGH personally, and I hope for his sake it does - but I'd love to have him this season at Duke.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I think the question here is the wisdom of JGH leaving a year early and then not being drafted. It's one thing to be an UDFA after college, it's another to leave early and not get drafted. That said, it may work out as the best thing for JGH personally, and I hope for his sake it does - but I'd love to have him this season at Duke.
    He left Duke with his graduating class, and will graduate on Sunday. He did not leave early. He did, however, have one year of eligibility left.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    He left Duke with his graduating class, and will graduate on Sunday. He did not leave early. He did, however, have one year of eligibility left.
    you really gonna pick that bone? Split that hair? Were you offended?

6. It’s an important distinction, and FYI certain comments about women’s golf were way more offensive.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    you really gonna pick that bone? Split that hair? Were you offended?
    How is anything that DU82 said picking bones? We've fawned over bball players that stayed and graduated. That's an odd attack to make. (Seems attacking)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    How is anything that DU82 said picking bones? We've fawned over bball players that stayed and graduated. That's an odd attack to make. (Seems attacking)
    It was clear from his wording that he thought A: I didn't realize Harris had graduated - which I did know - and B: that saying he left early was some kind of insult from me which it clearly was not...it was just a short way to say he left before his eligibility was up....and also C: missed the context of the question: which was posed by someone else that perhaps JGH got bad advice in his decision making process. In that context, Bob G said correctly that's not necessarily the case. BG is right of course. It is also not necessarily NOT the case either.

Saying he didn't "leave early because he graduated" is to miss the point of the question. The point is did someone tell him to leave "with eligibility remaining" because he would get drafted if he did so. If he got that advice, it was bad advice, or incorrect advice. I've no idea what advice he was given, and I realize that this may still all work out great for him, and I hope it does. And the advice he was given was that he likely wouldn't be drafted, but should go now because another year of Duke FB wouldn't help him, then that advice proved correct, at least on the first part.

The fawning over BB players who stayed and graduated is to miss the point also. There was nothing negative implied by my statement, though apparently there was negativity incorrectly inferred.

The fawning over BB players who stayed and graduated is to miss the point also.
    I support the fawning over basketball players who stay and graduate.
    👍🏻

Giants OC Mike Shula says Daniel Jones could start Week 1 if needed:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn

"I think he'd be ready to go, that's my personal opinion," Shula said Wednesday, via Tom Rock of Newsday. "I think he has that capability."
    The context is not that Jones would start over Manning but that Jones has the capability to start Week 1 if something were to happen to Manning.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

The context is not that Jones would start over Manning but that Jones has the capability to start Week 1 if something were to happen to Manning.
    Interpretation: Giants management and coaching staff are going "all in" supporting the controversial pick of Daniel Jones as #6.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Interpretation: Giants management and coaching staff are going "all in" supporting the controversial pick of Daniel Jones as #6.
    Sage, you're raining on my optimism parade.
    Bob Green

Sage, you're raining on my optimism parade.
    Not saying he isn't right, but...
    Sage Grouse

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

If Manning starts off this season with the same dismal results as last year, those same fans that are screaming for heads to roll will be screaming for Jones to see the field in October.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    It was clear from his wording that he thought A: I didn't realize Harris had graduated - which I did know - and B: that saying he left early was some kind of insult from me which it clearly was not...it was just a short way to say he left before his eligibility was up...and also C: missed the context of the question: which was posed by someone else that perhaps JGH got bad advice in his decision making process. In that context, Bob G said correctly that's not necessarily the case. BG is right of course. It is also not necessarily NOT the case either.

Saying he didn't "leave early because he graduated" is to miss the point of the question. The point is did someone tell him to leave "with eligibility remaining" because he would get drafted if he did so. If he got that advice, it was bad advice, or incorrect advice. I've no idea what advice he was given, and I realize that this may still all work out great for him, and I hope it does. And the advice he was given was that he likely wouldn't be drafted, but should go now because another year of Duke FB wouldn't help him, then that advice proved correct, at least on the first part.

The fawning over BB players who stayed and graduated is to miss the point also. There was nothing negative implied by my statement, though apparently there was negativity incorrectly inferred.
    From your words, it was “clear to me” that you thought Joe G-H made a stupid mistake entering the draft. My point was he graduated, and my thought was he made a decision to move on to the next stage of his life. Your written tone sure made it appear to be negative.

So, Don’t think you know what I was thinking. Although, frankly, it’s something I can’t be T’d Up for by the refs, er, moderators, just like Jimmy V.

Jim Sumner article on free agents opportunity to work their way into the NFL:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-duke-football

...a full dozen Duke UFAs have played in at least one regular-season NFL game since Cutcliffe took over.
    Bob Green

ESPN has "progress reports" after OTA's for all the first round draft picks. No blurb is particularly long, but here is a taste of what is said about DJ.

QB Daniel Jones: He has looked like he belongs working with the second- and third-team offenses early in his Giants career. That is an accomplishment given the difficulty of playing quarterback as a rookie in the NFL.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/st...st-round-picks

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    ESPN has "progress reports" after OTA's for all the first round draft picks. No blurb is particularly long, but here is a taste of what is said about DJ.

QB Daniel Jones: He has looked like he belongs working with the second- and third-team offenses early in his Giants career. That is an accomplishment given the difficulty of playing quarterback as a rookie in the NFL.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/st...st-round-picks
    That's an Eats Shoots and Leaves problem -- needs a comma? Does he look like he belongs in the NFL or look like he belongs with the second and third teams?
    Sage Grouse

That's an Eats Shoots and Leaves problem -- needs a comma? Does he look like he belongs in the NFL or look like he belongs with the second and third teams?
    I think it is supposed to be interpreted as: " He has looked like he belongs in the NFL while working with the second- and third-team offenses early in his Giants career. That is an accomplishment given the difficulty of playing quarterback as a rookie in the NFL."

So, your first impression is the correct one I think. I had the same thought and had to give it a re-read to make sure.

I read it as (knowing that he isn't the starter), he is fitting in well and looks like he belongs in the position he was hired for. (Thus the statement that followed about being an accomplishment.)