Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC

    Duke seventh in Director's Cup

    Portions of press release.

    "Duke Athletics currently ranks seventh in the latest Learfield IMG Directors' Cup Standings, released Thursday by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics.

    Duke has secured 580.00 total points and is one of eight ACC schools ranked among the top 25 nationally, joined by Virginia (5th), Notre Dame (10th), N.C. State (14th), Florida State (15th), North Carolina (19th), Virginia Tech (23rd) and Louisville (24th). Stanford leads the overall rankings with 1,003.25 points.

    To date, Duke has earned points in men’s basketball (73), women’s cross country (28), fencing (66), field hockey (70), football (45), men’s soccer (64), women’s soccer (64), women’s swimming & diving (51), men’s swimming & diving (44), volleyball (25) and wrestling (50)."

    With lacrosse, golf and tennis points still to be allocated, Duke should be able to hold its own through the spring. If Duke can get anything from baseball and/or track and field, this could be a really good year.

    Still, a national championship would be nice. In anything.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Portions of press release.

    "Duke Athletics currently ranks seventh in the latest Learfield IMG Directors' Cup Standings, released Thursday by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics.

    Duke has secured 580.00 total points and is one of eight ACC schools ranked among the top 25 nationally, joined by Virginia (5th), Notre Dame (10th), N.C. State (14th), Florida State (15th), North Carolina (19th), Virginia Tech (23rd) and Louisville (24th). Stanford leads the overall rankings with 1,003.25 points.

    To date, Duke has earned points in menís basketball (73), womenís cross country (28), fencing (66), field hockey (70), football (45), menís soccer (64), womenís soccer (64), womenís swimming & diving (51), menís swimming & diving (44), volleyball (25) and wrestling (50)."

    With lacrosse, golf and tennis points still to be allocated, Duke should be able to hold its own through the spring. If Duke can get anything from baseball and/or track and field, this could be a really good year.

    Still, a national championship would be nice. In anything.
    Thanks for the great update. Here is the link to the current standings:

    https://nacda.com/documents/2019/4/9...ll.pdf?id=3574

    Other sports still to come that aren't on Duke's radar but could impact the standings of other schools are men's hockey, men's and women's gymnastics, women's water polo, men's volleyball.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Thanks for the great update. Here is the link to the current standings:

    https://nacda.com/documents/2019/4/9...ll.pdf?id=3574

    Other sports still to come that aren't on Duke's radar but could impact the standings of other schools are men's hockey, men's and women's gymnastics, women's water polo, men's volleyball.
    Well, any metric where fencing and football are equally weighted......
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Well, any metric where fencing and football are equally weighted...
    I know, right?? The disrespect for fencing - literally a life and death skill - is appalling.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I know, right?? The disrespect for fencing - literally a life and death skill - is appalling.
    That's not the point and you know it. How many fencing matches do you attend a season? How many do you watch on TV? Are you saying that a fencing team's impact on a college athletic program is equal to that of football? There are a lot of fantastic skills (wrestling comes to mind) that simply do not move the needle on how a fan base views their team.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  6. #6
    This is a discussion that comes up literally every year. Please stop. The point of a ranking that values every sport equally is, well, to have a ranking that values every sport equally. I invite the noble colleague to develop their own ranking system with their personal view of what relative weights different sports should have.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That's not the point and you know it. How many fencing matches do you attend a season? How many do you watch on TV? Are you saying that a fencing team's impact on a college athletic program is equal to that of football? There are a lot of fantastic skills (wrestling comes to mind) that simply do not move the needle on how a fan base views their team.
    Yeah, this is a ranking system that basically exists to level the playing field back to non-revenue sports. That is its purpose. If you don't like it, simply don't pay attention to it.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ratamero View Post
    This is a discussion that comes up literally every year. Please stop.
    A: a discussion that comes up every year. Hmmm...one would almost think it's tailor made for a forum.
    B: You self ironied...
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    A: a discussion that comes up every year. Hmmm...one would almost think it's tailor made for a forum.
    B: You self ironied...
    You should head to the off topic board and comment on the summer box office thread to mention how ticket sales doesn't reflect the quality of a movie.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Stanford has agents everywhere. They control us.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post


    Still, a national championship would be nice. In anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Stanford has agents everywhere. They control us.
    Yes--Stanford has the Director's Cup in a death grip so strong that I don't think anyone will ever wrest it from them, alas.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yes--Stanford has the Director's Cup in a death grip so strong that I don't think anyone will ever wrest it from them, alas.
    In his "History and Issues in Sports" class, I recall Coach Al Buehler saying that every athletic scholarship at Stanford is endowed. That provides a lot of freedom to offer as many sports as possible, recruit for them, and comply with Title IX.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    That's not the point and you know it. How many fencing matches do you attend a season? How many do you watch on TV? Are you saying that a fencing team's impact on a college athletic program is equal to that of football? There are a lot of fantastic skills (wrestling comes to mind) that simply do not move the needle on how a fan base views their team.
    Methinks your tongue-in-cheek detector may need new batteries.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    So earlier in the spring, Duke had dropped to 12th in the standings, but now are back in 7th place after getting a lot of points for men's and women's golf, men's lacrosse, women's tennis, and women's rowing.

    The only sports left to score are softball (no points for Duke, alas), baseball (a minimum of 64 points out of 100 for making the super regional), and men's and women's track and field (likely a very small number of points for qualifying women's track and field athletes to participate). So it will be tough, if not impossible, to hold 7th place--Ohio State is only one point behind, with Florida, UNC, and UCLA a bit farther back in 8th-11th place. All those teams will get some softball points (with UCLA collecting 100 for the championship) and all but UNC will get baseball points, though only UCLA is in a position to get more than Duke.Most likely will get more points in both men's and women's track and field as well.

    With a little luck, though, Duke will stay in the top ten in the final rankings, and it's very likely Duke will stay ahead of UNC.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    So earlier in the spring, Duke had dropped to 12th in the standings, but now are back in 7th place after getting a lot of points for men's and women's golf, men's lacrosse, women's tennis, and women's rowing.

    The only sports left to score are softball (no points for Duke, alas), baseball (a minimum of 64 points out of 100 for making the super regional), and men's and women's track and field (likely a very small number of points for qualifying women's track and field athletes to participate). So it will be tough, if not impossible, to hold 7th place--Ohio State is only one point behind, with Florida, UNC, and UCLA a bit farther back in 8th-11th place. All those teams will get some softball points (with UCLA collecting 100 for the championship) and all but UNC will get baseball points, though only UCLA is in a position to get more than Duke.Most likely will get more points in both men's and women's track and field as well.

    With a little luck, though, Duke will stay in the top ten in the final rankings, and it's very likely Duke will stay ahead of UNC.
    Not that I don't like UNC not getting baseball points but I'm wondering why they wouldn't. They are in the super regionals so shouldn't they get some points?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yes--Stanford has the Director's Cup in a death grip so strong that I don't think anyone will ever wrest it from them, alas.
    If you watched the wonderful and now long defunct NBC series "Chuck", you'd know that Stanford really DOES have agents everywhere.

    Actually, I think Stanford is so loaded that they supposedly are the only school that has full funding for every possible athletic scholarship, so they better do well in all these sports just to get their investments' worth.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    [QUOTE=Faustus;1167921]If you watched the wonderful and now long defunct NBC series "Chuck", you'd know that Stanford really DOES have agents everywhere.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Woops - I see the Stanford info is already mentioned above. Guess I never got that superior Stanford education...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    A: a discussion that comes up every year. Hmmm...one would almost think it's tailor made for a forum...
    Back in the day, this would have qualified for a spot on an updated Handy Pocket Reference. Not 9F, but a spot!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Not that I don't like UNC not getting baseball points but I'm wondering why they wouldn't. They are in the super regionals so shouldn't they get some points?
    UNC is currently 120 points behind Duke in the Director's Cup standings. Assuming Auburn's current, ahem...10-run lead over UNC in Game 3 of their Super Regional holds up (they're now in the bottom of the 6th), UNC won't net any Director's Cup points against Duke for baseball. They'll get some points (not sure how many) for making the Regional round in softball. And I assume they'll pick up a handful of points in track & field. Not sure it'll be enough to catch Duke, though -- seems like a tall order to make up a 120-point deficit at this point.

    So it's possible that UCLA, Florida, and Ohio State hurdle Duke, but Duke hangs on to the #10 spot ahead of UNC.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Similar Threads

  1. Former Director of Duke Marching Band needs help
    By Devil in the Blue Dress in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2017, 01:39 PM
  2. Seventh Woods at the end of the Northern Iowa vs. UNC game
    By Tom B. in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 12-27-2016, 02:46 PM
  3. Duke in 2014 Learfield Director's Cup
    By Olympic Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 11:58 AM
  4. Duke 10th in Director's Cup
    By Olympic Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 09:36 AM
  5. Duke in 8th place in Director Cup Standings
    By Kewlswim in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2009, 11:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •