Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

NFL draft conversation (with lots of Daniel Jones stuff)

Because somebody had to start it (and this thread can serve as an obligatory Jones NFL Draft talk and celebratory thread).

Not sure there's been another Duke QB in the modern era with a comparable career to Jones and I'm gonna miss him (since I'm sure he's going). Boone has the only accomplishment Jones failed to get as the Coastal Champ, but Boone had an utterly elite offensive line to go with two of Duke's best wide receivers ever. Jones did more with less than anyone I can remember.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 12-31-2018 at 03:27 PM.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

I wish him well as he mulls his decision, and thank him for everything he did for Duke.

I can’t see any upside for him returning, and a huge amount of risk playing against Alabama and a crowded 2020 draft class.

It will be interesting to see if he can carve out a role in the NFL like Dave Brown did, or better.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I wish him well as he mulls his decision, and thank him for everything he did for Duke.

I can’t see any upside for him returning, and a huge amount of risk playing against Alabama and a crowded 2020 draft class.

It will be interesting to see if he can carve out a role in the NFL like Dave Brown did, or better.
    Well let's not forget everything Duke did for him too...taking a chance on a player few colleges were interested in...developing under Cut and other coaches, etc.

And you make a good point about the risk of playing Bama next season. I do however see a potential upside for him coming back, as well as a potential risk of course. Given all that, I think he'll go. I'm not sure that's his best 5 year decision, but it will be an overwhelmingly good two year decision I think.
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 12-27-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Just wanted to point out that he has been at Duke for 4 years and is getting his degree. Next year would be a graduated year and while that is a fine thing, I am betting he is ready to move on to what is next.

Oh, and his draft stock will likely never be higher and he is coming into one of the worst years for QB draft prospects in a very long time. There's a decent chance (25% or so?) he could even be a first round draft pick.

-Jason "thanks for all you have done, DJ. Being a high draft pick and succeeding in the NFL will help us in recruiting too!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Just wanted to point out that he has been at Duke for 4 years and is getting his degree. Next year would be a graduated year and while that is a fine thing, I am betting he is ready to move on to what is next.

Oh, and his draft stock will likely never be higher and he is coming into one of the worst years for QB draft prospects in a very long time. There's a decent chance (25% or so?) he could even be a first round draft pick.

-Jason "thanks for all you have done, DJ. Being a high draft pick and succeeding in the NFL will help us in recruiting too!" Evans
    Exactly. This isn't even the "One and Dones" shouldn't leave thing here (though I think they should go as well if they're first rounders) - Jones is graduating from Duke and a grad degree he'd get by staying probably isn't one that would have much use to him in post-football life (seriously, how often do those grad degrees for redshirt seniors actually benefit the kids more than their ordinary undergrad degrees? I can't imagine much).

It'd be one thing if Duke was returning significant other players and was like a title contender or something next year with Jones, but at best they're a coastal contender next year with Jones, which is not much of an incentive to come back IMO. And next year's QB class is much stronger competition for the Draft.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Have really enjoyed DJ, wish him luck with the decision. Look forward to watching you next year whether it be on a Saturday or (more likely IMO) Sunday.

#DukeGang brother.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I completely agree with Jason's sign-off point. As much as I'd enjoy seeing Jones at Duke next year, my guess is that having him as a high draft pick in 2019 helps us our program significantly in the long run.

In other words, this is the first time I can think of where I'm rooting for a Duke player (in any sport) to enter a draft "early." And I do think it'd be really cool / a great statement about our program if he ended up a first-rounder and/or the first QB off the board.

(This is terrible; I'm guessing this is how Calipari feels about his early entrants. Ew. Time for a shower...)

Quote Originally Posted by Duke05 View Post
    I completely agree with Jason's sign-off point. As much as I'd enjoy seeing Jones at Duke next year, my guess is that having him as a high draft pick in 2019 helps us our program significantly in the long run.

In other words, this is the first time I can think of where I'm rooting for a Duke player (in any sport) to enter a draft "early." And I do think it'd be really cool / a great statement about our program if he ended up a first-rounder and/or the first QB off the board.

(This is terrible; I'm guessing this is how Calipari feels about his early entrants. Ew. Time for a shower...)
    A player who gets a degree is not really entering early. He has also likely not played his last game of football unlike a number of seniors on the team. Football players have a short shelf life. Time to move on. He has shown that he is more than ready.

I thought his departure was pretty clear before he muddied the waters with his recent comments. DJ has done all you could really ask of a future professional Duke student-athlete--much like Jason Williams and Carlos Boozer. We played one of the toughest schedules in recent Duke football history. If the NY Football Giants want him, we aren't going to fall off a cliff with Harris getting a full season of preseason reps.

The dead skins need a qb badly. After the possible career end break of thier QBs leg.maybe he can throw to Jamison crowder. May they never beat the cowboys again though.

As much as I'd love for DJ to stay at Duke next season, I think it makes far too much sense for him to declare for the draft and go to the NFL next season. Ouch, it hurts to say that!

Did anyone else notice that Gunnar got a couple of snaps at the end of the game? He had a nice run, too (on first and 25, I believe).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

Did anyone else notice that Gunnar got a couple of snaps at the end of the game? He had a nice run, too (on first and 25, I believe).
    Yes. He gained 19 yards on his only carry. If he maintains that pace next year as a starter, and gets 20 carries/game, we will have a dominant offense.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Yes. He gained 19 yards on his only carry. If he maintains that pace next year as a starter, and gets 20 carries/game, we will have a dominant offense.
    Anything less will be disappointing.

That was a nice misdirection, naked bootleg. Good to see.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    That was a nice misdirection, naked bootleg. Good to see.
    On that topic, and on the situation that I think DJ is 90% likely to go (i'm not at 100% yet)- I'd really have liked to have seen Gunnar and Katrenick throw a couple. I wonder if a few of the more well connected folks around here know how the staff and players feel about QH, Gunnar, Katrenick, relative to each other.

And at the tail end of Cut's presser, he was asked "what had Daniel Jones meant to the program" and Cut said "Well I can tell you coming back what he means to this program..." and was kind of laughing. Hard from context to fully understand that...
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 12-28-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Jones should 100% go if he’s hearing even remotely positive things about his draft prospects, which I have to imagine he is. He’s done so much for this program and the time is right.

At times like this fans cannot be greedy. My desire is for Daniel Jones to make the best decision for Daniel Jones. I'm confident he will be given proper guidance from Coach Cutcliffe.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    At times like this fans cannot be greedy. My desire is for Daniel Jones to make the best decision for Daniel Jones. I'm confident he will be given proper guidance from Coach Cutcliffe.
    Having a QB go in the first round, along with the rhetoric we'll hear ad nauseum about Cut and the Mannings, will be great publicity for the program and great for recruiting, particularly for recruiting 4 and 5 star QB prospects. What is good for DJ may also be good for the program.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Having a QB go in the first round, along with the rhetoric we'll hear ad nauseum about Cut and the Mannings, will be great publicity for the program and great for recruiting, particularly for recruiting 4 and 5 star QB prospects. What is good for DJ may also be good for the program.
    Both of these statements are true. Cut has been great for Duke. Jones has been great for Duke. I trust he will make the decision that makes the most sense for him, and I am sure that Cut will give him the best guidance possible.

Thanks to both!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    And thinking about this...I wonder if there are any second thoughts from the Clemson transfer Hunter Johnson....who went to NW after considering Duke.

He is getting a lot of love out there at the moment. He made a case yesterday that will be hard to top. The broken collarbone may have been enough to tell him that situations can change in an instant.