Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 555
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I note that you did not qualify this with “if Daniel enters the draft.”
    Go back and re-read the question to which I was responding. It specifically referenced Harris, Katrenick and Holmberg.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Go back and re-read the question to which I was responding. It specifically referenced Harris, Katrenick and Holmberg.
    Got it. Thanks

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Really? Not saying you're wrong, but he hadn't played a snap then, and we were celebrating Sirk being the MVP of the Pinstripe bowl, leading us to our first bowl win in forever.
    I am talking about the buzz around him after Sirk's injury and his being named starter. There were comments coming out that he had a kind of inner confidence, a swag, to him. He apparently lit up the first team D with the scout team at times. i'm not making this up. I had never heard of him until then. They had given him some kind of pet name..."The Future" or something...I can't remember...but there was buzz around him, especially for a 2* recruit.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Meeting with Marie Laveau
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I am talking about the buzz around him after Sirk's injury and his being named starter. There were comments coming out that he had a kind of inner confidence, a swag, to him. He apparently lit up the first team D with the scout team at times. i'm not making this up. I had never heard of him until then. They had given him some kind of pet name..."The Future" or something...I can't remember...but there was buzz around him, especially for a 2* recruit.
    Derek Jones, DB coach, gave him the nickname "The Future."

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    This is great

    I’m not a football fan, but it is very cool to have a draft vigil for a Duke QB.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I’m not a football fan, but it is very cool to have a draft vigil for a Duke QB.
    Hopefully, it will get tiresome after multiple iterations ...

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I am talking about the buzz around him after Sirk's injury and his being named starter. There were comments coming out that he had a kind of inner confidence, a swag, to him. He apparently lit up the first team D with the scout team at times. i'm not making this up. I had never heard of him until then. They had given him some kind of pet name..."The Future" or something...I can't remember...but there was buzz around him, especially for a 2* recruit.
    Very cool, thanks for the history lesson.
    That's a hell of a nickname to live up to, I'd say he did fairly well with that.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  8. #48
    From The Chronicle article linked from the home page...

    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...adstone-column

    **************
    "Whatever he decides, I’ll be happy for him because it’s his decision. He doesn’t know right now. I don’t know right now. God bless him, because it’s a tough thing, but he’ll find the right spot."
    **************

    I would think that Coach Cut *is* talking to DJ... and maybe even the NFL... on DJ's future. I got the feeling that Coach K does talk to his players and the NBA too...

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Meeting with Marie Laveau
    Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    From The Chronicle article linked from the home page...

    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...adstone-column

    **************
    "Whatever he decides, I’ll be happy for him because it’s his decision. He doesn’t know right now. I don’t know right now. God bless him, because it’s a tough thing, but he’ll find the right spot."
    **************

    I would think that Coach Cut *is* talking to DJ... and maybe even the NFL... on DJ's future. I got the feeling that Coach K does talk to his players and the NBA too...
    Coach Cutcliffe does talk with players prior to the NFL draft. In addition, there is a session for parents to learn about the process, selecting an agent, and related topics. Parents of former players also help parents of current players navigate the process of assistance at Duke for approaching the NFL draft.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Coach Cutcliffe does talk with players prior to the NFL draft. In addition, there is a session for parents to learn about the process, selecting an agent, and related topics. Parents of former players also help parents of current players navigate the process of assistance at Duke for approaching the NFL draft.
    This is great!!!! Especially for parents of former players to be involved. Thanks for the info... and GO DUKE

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Meeting with Marie Laveau
    Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    This is great!!!! Especially for parents of former players to be involved. Thanks for the info... and GO DUKE
    The role of parents of former players is based on word of mouth.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Holmberg has the highest ceiling. He's the only one of the three that I could see in the NFL at some point.

    But he's also the least experienced. Unless Duke adds someone in the off-season, I would very much expect Harris to go into the fall as number one. His performance at Baylor gives me cautious optimism.
    I'd imagine Harris has pole position for the number one spot, but that the other two guys will have opportunities to prove themselves in the spring practices/game and fall pre-season practices. Harris' two starts this year are a clear sign that he has Cut's confidence, especially with Holmberg not getting a snap until the bowl game despite the new 4 game redshirt rules.

    I'm less worried about the QB situation next year than the offensive line that QB will have to play behind, but that's for another thread. DJ really made the most out of how little protection he got this year, and next year's QB will have a harder time if the OLine doesn't improve at showing his stuff, no matter who he is.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

    Carolina Delenda Est

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    The dead skins need a qb badly. After the possible career end break of thier QBs leg.maybe he can throw to Jamison crowder. May they never beat the cowboys again though.
    Doug Williams was at the Independence Bowl. Spent a good while talking with Cut pre-game.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    This is great!!!! Especially for parents of former players to be involved. Thanks for the info... and GO DUKE
    Looks like the “Brotherhood” is extending beyond the hardwood to the turf. Similar with other sports? Would be a great example of our Duke athletic and community culture.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Very cool, thanks for the history lesson.
    That's a hell of a nickname to live up to, I'd say he did fairly well with that.
    Yeah he did live up to that name...and another poster did confirm that the moniker was indeed "The Future." Another indication that this is where the program was headed was Sirk leaving after spring practice the next year. I did not like that at the time, and it clearly indicated to me that Cut told Sirk he was not likely to get much time.

    But when DJ got badly hurt, but was still trying to play, it hurt the team. I think Sirk could've come in and won a couple more games than a struggling and hurt DJ...(and then we'd have DJ another year most likely). But all speculation of course.

    The fact is, Sirk had a forgettable experience at ECU and DJ's six game slide that season is also forgettable. Sirk's last game in Duke uniform was very memorable....for several reasons.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    A Yahoo Sports snippet from a "Winners/Losers" article focusing on bowl games thus far.

    In the winners column...
    Daniel Jones, QB, Duke: With Justin Herbert opting to stay at Oregon, Duke’s Daniel Jones is one of the quarterbacks in the mix among the top NFL prospects. Jones, who is expected to declare for the 2019 draft, had a strong showing in the Independence Bowl against Temple. Though he did throw two interceptions, the 6-foot-5 Jones completed 30-of-41 passes for 423 yards and five touchdowns in a 56-27 win. According to Yahoo Sports’ Pete Thamel, some NFL scouts believe Jones could be up there with Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins near the top of the first round.

    David Cutcliffe: Cutcliffe is worthy of praise for a lot of reasons. He’s known for his tutelage of quarterbacks, and Jones is the next pupil in line to make a splash at the next level. But beyond that, Cutcliffe has done a tremendous job getting Duke to be consistently competitive in the ACC. With the win over Temple, the Blue Devils (8-5) finish with eight or more wins for the fourth time in Cutcliffe’s tenure. Before Cutcliffe arrived in 2008, Duke had just four eight-win seasons dating back to 1960.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...ote/ar-BBRxKyy
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Doug Williams was at the Independence Bowl. Spent a good while talking with Cut pre-game.
    Doug Williams? Is he a grad-student option?

    Then again, the Redskins might have dibs on Williams. He might be a better option than anything they have now.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Derek Jones, DB coach, gave him the nickname "The Future."
    And "The Future" has become "The Past"
    dukelifer

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I’m not a football fan, but it is very cool to have a draft vigil for a Duke QB.
    We may have to deport you.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    We may have to deport you.
    Or re-sport

Similar Threads

  1. Daniel Jones
    By armondo in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2018, 12:07 PM
  2. Protection for Daniel Jones
    By Devil in the Blue Dress in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-12-2018, 07:08 PM
  3. Awards for Daniel Jones
    By Devil in the Blue Dress in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-12-2017, 08:15 AM
  4. Welcome to Duke, Daniel Jones (QB).
    By 94duke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-11-2015, 06:53 AM
  5. GoDuke posting lots of USA Basketball stuff tonight
    By Mike Corey in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 04:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •