Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Who thinks DJ will go higher in the 2019 NFL Draft than Tre Jones in the 2019 NBA Draft?

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Who thinks DJ will go higher in the 2019 NFL Draft than Tre Jones in the 2019 NBA Draft?
    Keeping up with the Joneses.

Ooooh, this is a fun pie bet in the making!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ooooh, this is a fun pie bet in the making!
    I'll take Tre.

I'm down for a pie bet if I have any takers.

Just wanted to point out that he has been at Duke for 4 years and is getting his degree. Next year would be a graduated year and while that is a fine thing, I am betting he is ready to move on to what is next.

Oh, and his draft stock will likely never be higher and he is coming into one of the worst years for QB draft prospects in a very long time. There's a decent chance (25% or so?) he could even be a first round draft pick.

-Jason "thanks for all you have done, DJ. Being a high draft pick and succeeding in the NFL will help us in recruiting too!" Evans
    Well said. Additionally, he's not only been here four years with a degree, he's been a 3-year starter. Some guys facing this decision (see Dwayne Haskins at Ohio State) have one year of experience as a starter, and the debate is whether he could use another year. DJ has started for 3 years under Cut. I think the thought of playing Alabama is enticing, as is trying to win Duke a division title. However, as others have said, his draft stock in a weak-QB draft is about as high as it could go, and it is probably the right decision for him (plus, the fact that he is losing a lot of senior receivers could also play into his decision).

Of course, would love for him to stay. Would love to see him and a healthy Duke squad take on Alabama. I just wouldn't count on it. If he does go, I thank DJ for his great 3 years and everything he gave to Duke.
    He's been extremely tough, taking on (sometimes too many) big hits, playing hurt, and coming back from injury quickly. Thanks again wishing him nothing but the best at the next level should he choose to go.

On a side note, should DJ decide to go pro, is it a given that Harris will be the starter next year? I ask, because three years ago, when Sirk went down, many assumed Boehme, the redshirt senior with experience would have become the starter, but Cut went with the young Jones instead. Not sure if the Jim Sumners, Steve Wisemans or others know if there is talk of Homberg or Katrenick being in the discussion. Of course, that may be more of a discussion during the spring practices should Jones move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Well said. Additionally, he's not only been here four years with a degree, he's been a 3-year starter. Some guys facing this decision (see Dwayne Haskins at Ohio State) have one year of experience as a starter, and the debate is whether he could use another year. DJ has started for 3 years under Cut. I think the thought of playing Alabama is enticing, as is trying to win Duke a division title. However, as others have said, his draft stock in a weak-QB draft is about as high as it could go, and it is probably the right decision for him (plus, the fact that he is losing a lot of senior receivers could also play into his decision).

Of course, would love for him to stay. Would love to see him and a healthy Duke squad take on Alabama. I just wouldn't count on it. If he does go, I thank DJ for his great 3 years and everything he gave to Duke.
    He's been extremely tough, taking on (sometimes too many) big hits, playing hurt, and coming back from injury quickly. Thanks again wishing him nothing but the best at the next level should he choose to go.

On a side note, should DJ decide to go pro, is it a given that Harris will be the starter next year? I ask, because three years ago, when Sirk went down, many assumed Boehme, the redshirt senior with experience would have become the starter, but Cut went with the young Jones instead. Not sure if the Jim Sumners, Steve Wisemans or others know if there is talk of Homberg or Katrenick being in the discussion. Of course, that may be more of a discussion during the spring practices should Jones move on.
    I have absolutely no inside knowledge, but my gut feeling is that it is Harris or Holmberg next year. Katrenick just reminds me a little of Sean Schroeder for some reason. Solid guy to have on your team for practice and depth, but not a go-to starter. Of course, he's only a RS-freshman so really too early to say for sure what his ceiling is.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post

Totally agree with you here (especially the bolded part)! He deserves our admiration, thanks and support for all that he has given to Duke football and Duke University. It would nice to have him stay for a final season but completely understandable if he decides to go pro.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Having a QB go in the first round, along with the rhetoric we'll hear ad nauseum about Cut and the Mannings, will be great publicity for the program and great for recruiting, particularly for recruiting 4 and 5 star QB prospects. What is good for DJ may also be good for the program.
    Perhaps we can pick up one of these guys:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/big-12/texas-longhorns/texas-football-could-reportedly-lose-multiple-4-star-qbs-to-transfer/amp

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/big-12/texas-longhorns/texas-football-could-reportedly-lose-multiple-4-star-qbs-to-transfer/amp
    Georgia transfer Justin Fields is still undecided AFAIK

Having said that, I doubt a big transfer is in the offing for several reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    I can’t get the link to work but apparently Texas has 2 four star QBs that have entered the transfer portal.

sup matt....thats a helluva interesting question....not sure which way I lean

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    On that topic, and on the situation that I think DJ is 90% likely to go (i'm not at 100% yet)- I'd really have liked to have seen Gunnar and Katrenick throw a couple. I wonder if a few of the more well connected folks around here know how the staff and players feel about QH, Gunnar, Katrenick, relative to each other.

And at the tail end of Cut's presser, he was asked "what had Daniel Jones meant to the program" and Cut said "Well I can tell you coming back what he means to this program..." and was kind of laughing. Hard from context to fully understand that...
    Holmberg has the highest ceiling. He's the only one of the three that I could see in the NFL at some point.

But he's also the least experienced. Unless Duke adds someone in the off-season, I would very much expect Harris to go into the fall as number one. His performance at Baylor gives me cautious optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Holmberg has the highest ceiling. He's the only one of the three that I could see in the NFL at some point.

But he's also the least experienced. Unless Duke adds someone in the off-season, I would very much expect Harris to go into the fall as number one. His performance at Baylor gives me cautious optimism.
    Agree with this, and think we'll be fine.

Harris not only performed well at Baylor, when he was in games it was clear that he was The Leader of the offense and that everyone listened to him, His press conferences and interviews are extremely impressive, and his is a positive, confident young man.

I doubt anyone is promised anything, and the job will be won by someone in the Spring. But I think it's gonna be hard to knock QH out of the lead role.

I note that you did not qualify this with “if Daniel enters the draft.”

Thanks, and that's about what I figured. As for QH, he's very quick over short distances and he throws a very nice long ball. He seems to be very erratic on other throws, and then there's the decision making dynamic, which I'm not sure we know yet. I do think there's enough there to start building around.

On Holmberg V Katrenick, they were both 3 stars but Holmberg's numerical rating was a smidge higher, at least on 24/7 - and there have been some comments on DBR that indicate he's viewed as more the future - which you just verified.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Just curious. If someone had asked you about the upcoming 2016 season, would you have ever projected Jones as even sniffing the NFL? It's one of the things I enjoy about college football, players coming out of left field and surprising for the better, or not meeting expectations. (Looking at you, Mr. Bracey.)
    We don't get that nearly as often in basketball.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Just curious. If someone had asked you about the upcoming 2016 season, would you have ever projected Jones as even sniffing the NFL? It's one of the things I enjoy about college football, players coming out of left field and surprising for the better, or not meeting expectations. (Looking at you, Mr. Bracey.)
    To answer your question, I don't think many had Jones in the NFL before 2016, but he had created quite a buzz around the team by then. So maybe some of them saw it coming.

And there are surprises in basketball, but not with the top teams. For example, some of those dunking bad arse studs from Florida Gulf Coast a few years ago were almost not recruited by anyone....few years later they are making a highlight reel at Georgetown's expense...and several of them are now pros - albeit it overseas. They guy who had the consummate highlight reel dunk in that game...among all the dunk highlights...wasn't recruited because he couldn't jump off two feet. He could flat sky off one on the run and his one handed alley oop is up there with any. But there is so much AAU and other competition between kids from other states - something that doesn't happen in football - so that there are far fewer surprises in hoops to be sure.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    To answer your question, I don't think many had Jones in the NFL before 2016, but he had created quite a buzz around the team by then. So maybe some of them saw it coming.
    Really? Not saying you're wrong, but he hadn't played a snap then, and we were celebrating Sirk being the MVP of the Pinstripe bowl, leading us to our first bowl win in forever.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think Jack White (ranked #246) would disagree. So would Luke Maye (#155), Rui Hachimura (#146), Ky Bowman (#324), Carsen Edwards (#118), Ethan Happ (#152)... they are all strong All-American and POY contenders this season in college ball.

-Jason "I could have named several very highly regarded prospects who did not pan out... at Duke and elsewhere... but I'd rather this be about the surprises, not the disappointments" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I think Jack White (ranked #246) would disagree. So would Luke Maye (#155), Rui Hachimura (#146), Ky Bowman (#324), Carsen Edwards (#118), Ethan Happ (#152)... they are all strong All-American and POY contenders this season in college ball.
    Want to put up the very small number of college players that succeed/and or fail in basketball against the large number of football players?
    It's one of the things I enjoy about college football, players coming out of left field and surprising for the better, or not meeting expectations.
    I'm saying both sides. The pool size is so different.