Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yup, it's complicated...Brady thinks he can play five more years (what with the avocado rubs and yogurt injections); he made Garppolo's life miserable for daring to be a QB in waiting...no one knows how this will play out, might Belichick leave when Brady does, who knows? Bob Kraft was evidently tongue tied when trying to answer questions about Brady's next contract.

Among other things, Belichick's utter lack of sentimentality has made the Pats what they are...a guy loses a step, he's gone, no matter how many great years he gave the organization...ruthlessly efficient in that regard.
    But a big question looms as to how much of a contract they want to give Brady...
    On the optimistic side, Jones could come in and learn under Brady and Belichick for a year or two - at which time maybe Brady will figure the gig is up. The big irony is that the Pats have been the best franchise by far when it comes to knowing when to let a guy loose - and how to pick up a bargain that fills a need in their system. The Brady contract will be the end of that, as the Pats will pay a star for past performance for the first time under Belichick. I would be that the coach was ready to move onto Garropolo a year ago....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    On the optimistic side, Jones could come in and learn under Brady and Belichick for a year or two - at which time maybe Brady will figure the gig is up. The big irony is that the Pats have been the best franchise by far when it comes to knowing when to let a guy loose - and how to pick up a bargain that fills a need in their system. The Brady contract will be the end of that, as the Pats will pay a star for past performance for the first time under Belichick. I would be that the coach was ready to move onto Garropolo a year ago...
    That's why I pity Jones if he's given the heir apparent tag while Brady is still trying to prove he can play and draw social security at the same time. He's not apt to be helpful to Jones any more than he helped Garoppolo.

Kind of think it's a moot point anyway, I don't see the Pats taking Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    That's why I pity Jones if he's given the heir apparent tag while Brady is still trying to prove he can play and draw social security at the same time. He's not apt to be helpful to Jones any more than he helped Garoppolo.

Kind of think it's a moot point anyway, I don't see the Pats taking Jones.
    I'm not sure he will go there either, and my best case scenario was based on the notion that Brady knows when to hang it up. There is certainly no assumption on my part that will be the case - I just used it as hypothetical.

I doubt Daniel Jones will be on the board when the Pats are picking. NFL teams tend to overdraft QBs (for good reason, it is the most important position by a lot lot lot). Jones will be gone in the first 20 picks, I think.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I doubt Daniel Jones will be on the board when the Pats are picking. NFL teams tend to overdraft QBs (for good reason, it is the most important position by a lot lot lot). Jones will be gone in the first 20 picks, I think.
    Are you doubting the great never wrong Mel Kiper??????

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    If he's in the green room, you can raise expectations.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If he's in the green room, you can raise expectations.
    Tell that to Aaron Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Tell that to Aaron Rodgers
    Whatever happened to that Rodgers guy?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Whatever happened to that Rodgers guy?
    Kind of fell out of the public eye after his embarrassing draft slide...think he's just quietly spending his days coaching Australian Rules Football now.

A NY Giants Podcast/WEbsite wanted to talk about what kind of NFL QB Daniel Jones might be, so they found some fool who watches Duke games to talk about it.

Jones has a 59.9 percent completion percentage over three seasons at Duke. That’s low for a top-tier college quarterback, and a concern for some leading up to the draft. Evans isn’t buying that concern.

“To me that doesn’t reveal the quality of Daniel Jones’s throwing. You know the saying it takes two to tango? In a football passing attack it takes three to be successful. Those three are the QB throwing the ball, wide receivers getting open and catching the ball and the offensive line protecting the quarterback,” Evans said.

“We had a really great QB throwing the ball, we had sort of an OK offensive line, we had below average wide receivers.

“I think that when you see Daniel Jones throwing to professional NFL-quality wide receivers you’re going to see a real step up in that completion percentage. The guy is a very, very accurate passer and that’s hugely important in the NFL.”
    You can listen to the entire podcast with me here: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/vox...iew?refid=stpr
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

A NY Giants Podcast/WEbsite wanted to talk about what kind of NFL QB Daniel Jones might be, so they found some fool who watches Duke games to talk about it.

You can listen to the entire podcast with me here: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/vox...iew?refid=stpr
    Well done, Jason. Presented a cogent argument for DJ.

Loved the involvement of the host’s dog. Was thinking it was a dog in the background before the admission. Mine (Augie) reacted to the sound (and has been known to play a part in my conference calls over the years, including audit committee meetings).

Also love “Cameron” as the name of your guy. Somehow makes sense. 😉

Haven't had time to listen yet, but I did read the article with some of your quotes. I would only quibble a tiny bit (teeny tiny) about David Brown not being a good analogy. It's not a perfect analogy, for the Cutcliffe / Manning related issues you mentioned. But Brown did have most of a year under Spurrier, who knows a thing or two about QB and the NFL, and he had some monster games in that timeframe (before Barry W screwed it all up). He's also about the same size as DJ, although not the runner DJ can be.

Seemed to me- at the time - I thought Clarkston Hines was a far better player than WF's Ricky Proehl - but the NFL proved me wrong on that...which to me makes the combo of Brown under Spurrier even more impressive. Would seem to indicate Hines was the beneficiary of that system and Brown's arm more than a cause. (of course then Spurrier ruins the momentum and starts Billy Ray in the bowl...but that's another story)
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 01-21-2019 at 09:35 AM.

We had a really great QB throwing the ball, we had sort of an OK offensive line, we had below average wide receivers.
    I look forward to listening to the entire podcast although I think you were a tad tough on our wide receivers. My analysis is they were average not below average. T.J. Rahming did make All ACC. The main issue with the receiving corps is there wasn't a true #1 guy in the group - a receiver who could dictate coverage.

This is a good opportunity to remind folks Daniel Jones will be playing in the Senior Bowl next Saturday at 2:30 pm with coverage on the NFL Network.
    Bob Green

Good job, Jason! I've listened to the podcast now and tried to give you some reputation points but, unfortunately...

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on JasonEvans again.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Good job, Jason! I've listened to the podcast now and tried to give you some reputation points but, unfortunately...
    Same kudos, same “must spread” reply. Way to rep.

In listening back to myself, it does feel like I was dumping a bit too hard on our WRs. My main point was not that they are bad, but that they are not up to the caliber of the WRs the other top NFL QB prospects played with. Haskins at tOSU, Murray at OK, and Locke at Mizzu all had WRs to throw to who will someday be catching passes on Sunday. I don't think anyone on the Duke roster will reach that level.

The NFL draft is in Nashville this late April (Thursday after Easter, I believe). It's becoming sort of a thing/event. Would be cool if Duke fans gathered to cheer on our own.

Senior Bowl practices begin tomorrow and can be viewed on the NFL Network:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=211787223

NFL Network will provide live coverage of the practices starting at 1 p.m. ET each day. Andrew Siciliano, Daniel Jeremiah, Charles Davis and Bucky Brooks will provide insight and analysis during the practices. NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly and reporters Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport will offer reports on the latest NFL news. Additionally, Patrick Claybon leads off the coverage all three days from NFL Network's studios.
    Bob Green

I would probably say Jones had average wide receivers and slightly below average pass blocking.

But that's picking nits.

But imagine Jones on that 2013 team, throwing to Crowder and Deaver, with Tomlinson, Simmons, Harding and Cofield protecting him.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I would probably say Jones had average wide receivers and slightly below average pass blocking.

But that's picking nits.
    On the pod I said the OLine was average and the receivers were below average. My nit is your nat