Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bird Box- Netflix

A new Netflix movie came out the other day. Bird Box. I think it’s great but it is currently only pulling a 60% on rotten tomatoes. Some of my friends who didn’t like it focused so much on the sci-fi in the film but I think it’s a love story at it’s core. Sandra Bullock is FANTASTIC as the lead. I’d recommended anyone to sit down and give it a watch.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I watched it the other night, and I can see why it's getting 60%. Lower wouldn't surprise me. There was plenty about it to like, but also lots of it that left me really annoyed. It kind of felt like watching the last season of Lost. Interesting, but unfulfilling and filled with too many questions. I wouldn't tell someone to not watch it, but it wouldn't be my first recommendation, either.

The same night, I also watched The Lobster. Everything I said above could potentially apply to The Lobster as well, but with at least moments of dark humor.

It was not a stellar movie night for me.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I watched it the other night, and I can see why it's getting 60%. Lower wouldn't surprise me. There was plenty about it to like, but also lots of it that left me really annoyed. It kind of felt like watching the last season of Lost. Interesting, but unfulfilling and filled with too many questions. I wouldn't tell someone to not watch it, but it wouldn't be my first recommendation, either.

The same night, I also watched The Lobster. Everything I said above could potentially apply to The Lobster as well, but with at least moments of dark humor.

It was not a stellar movie night for me.
    I haven’t watched it yet, but I have read the book. These critiques would also apply to the book. I liked it, but it often felt like I was reading the middle book of a trilogy. It doesn’t explain the origins of the “creatures” (the book doesn’t even explicitly say its any sort of physical entity). Nor does it really have any sort of ending. So the unanswered questions are probably due to the source material and not necessarily a director’s choice. I plan on watching it at some point but I’m a little skeptic about how well this type of book could be adapted.

Finally got around to watching it after seeing all of the social media noise about it. It was...fine. Characters made it frustrating to watch at times. Had potential to be better.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Spoiler alert...

In the early scene where everyone is going nuts and crowds are running and the cars are crashing and explosions are going off and they are in the car trying to escape, I literally thought "I remember this movie when it was called World War Z".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Spoiler alert...

In the early scene where everyone is going nuts and crowds are running and the cars are crashing and explosions are going off and they are in the car trying to escape, I literally thought "I remember this movie when it was called World War Z".
    Or, The Happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Or, The Happening.
    No no no no no no no no! Don't you dare go there.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    No no no no no no no no! Don't you dare go there.
    Somebody has to like his movies, right?

I'm not a movie critic, but to my untrained eye, it was an entertaining and terrible movie.

Spoiler alert...

Exactly world war z mixed with the Blair witch add a touch of ghost ship.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Exactly world war z mixed with the Blair witch add a touch of ghost ship.
    If you were running a campaign to convince me not to watch Bird Box you pretty much nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    If you were running a campaign to convince me not to watch Bird Box you pretty much nailed it.
    Have you watched open house?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I watched it last night. I find it hard to judge because it was okay, but at the same time it bugged me. It makes you think about what you would do if that actually happened. I don't know how many days, weeks, months, or years I would last having to live like that. At some point I would accept that it is not a life worth living and just go outside. Hiding and being blind folded is just not worth it. I'm American. I want my freedom, and I'm willing to die for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I'm American. I want my freedom, and I'm willing to die for it.
    Good thing you're not Scottish.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Good thing you're not Scottish.
    Or Dutch.

Freedom's just another word for "nothing left to lose"

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Zackly.

Freedom, oh-oh freedom, well that's just some people talkin'. Your prison is walkin' in this world "blindfolded".

Freedom, I won't let you down.
    Freedom, I will not give you up.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Freedom, I won't let you down.
    Freedom, I will not give you up.
    Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and desert you.

I enjoyed several scenes (particularly the driving scene), but some characters and scenes felt like trite pandering.

It reminded me of an M. Night flick, for better and for worse.