Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bird Box- Netflix

A new Netflix movie came out the other day. Bird Box. I think it’s great but it is currently only pulling a 60% on rotten tomatoes. Some of my friends who didn’t like it focused so much on the sci-fi in the film but I think it’s a love story at it’s core. Sandra Bullock is FANTASTIC as the lead. I’d recommended anyone to sit down and give it a watch.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I watched it the other night, and I can see why it's getting 60%. Lower wouldn't surprise me. There was plenty about it to like, but also lots of it that left me really annoyed. It kind of felt like watching the last season of Lost. Interesting, but unfulfilling and filled with too many questions. I wouldn't tell someone to not watch it, but it wouldn't be my first recommendation, either.

The same night, I also watched The Lobster. Everything I said above could potentially apply to The Lobster as well, but with at least moments of dark humor.

It was not a stellar movie night for me.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I enjoyed several scenes (particularly the driving scene), but some characters and scenes felt like trite pandering.

It reminded me of an M. Night flick, for better and for worse.

From a premise standpoint, it is A Quiet Place but with sight not sound... so it is A Blind Place.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I started it but turned it off rather quick. Something about Sandra Bullock turns me off real bad. I just dispise her acting style, its among the worst for me to watch.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    That is an article from the Daily Mirror, which is consistently rated as one of the worst in England, known for sensational stories. It is so bad that Wikipedia has labelled it as "potentially unreliable" and recommends that Wiki editors not cite the Mirror as a source.

It is at 68% on Rotten Tomatoes though most of the positive reviews are more lukewarm than gushing and many of the negative reviews are strident in their dislike of the film.

-Jason "I have not seen Bird Box yet... a critic friend that I really trust absolutely hated it and told me not to waste my time with it" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I watched it the other night, and I can see why it's getting 60%. Lower wouldn't surprise me. There was plenty about it to like, but also lots of it that left me really annoyed. It kind of felt like watching the last season of Lost. Interesting, but unfulfilling and filled with too many questions. I wouldn't tell someone to not watch it, but it wouldn't be my first recommendation, either.

The same night, I also watched The Lobster. Everything I said above could potentially apply to The Lobster as well, but with at least moments of dark humor.

It was not a stellar movie night for me.
    I haven’t watched it yet, but I have read the book. These critiques would also apply to the book. I liked it, but it often felt like I was reading the middle book of a trilogy. It doesn’t explain the origins of the “creatures” (the book doesn’t even explicitly say its any sort of physical entity). Nor does it really have any sort of ending. So the unanswered questions are probably due to the source material and not necessarily a director’s choice. I plan on watching it at some point but I’m a little skeptic about how well this type of book could be adapted.

Finally got around to watching it after seeing all of the social media noise about it. It was...fine. Characters made it frustrating to watch at times. Had potential to be better.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Spoiler alert...

In the early scene where everyone is going nuts and crowds are running and the cars are crashing and explosions are going off and they are in the car trying to escape, I literally thought "I remember this movie when it was called World War Z".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Spoiler alert...

In the early scene where everyone is going nuts and crowds are running and the cars are crashing and explosions are going off and they are in the car trying to escape, I literally thought "I remember this movie when it was called World War Z".
    Or, The Happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Or, The Happening.
    No no no no no no no no! Don't you dare go there.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I started it but turned it off rather quick. Something about Sandra Bullock turns me off real bad. I just dispise her acting style, its among the worst for me to watch.
    She doesnt do it for me either.i got duped into watching bird box by my wife.
    Needless to say I'm aggravated. What the heck is is it?Deamons ,hallucinogens ?something from outer space.creepy but not scary .I want to know what it actually is.

My crowd loved it, I thought it was just ok. I didn't feel like I wasted my time, but I didn't text anyone to tell them they HAD to see it either.

I thought the love interest story line was forced and unnecessary.

It absolutely terrified my wife, and I didn't think it was scary in the least bit. I was surprised to see it being labeled as "horror".

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "I have not seen Bird Box yet... a critic friend that I really trust absolutely hated it and told me not to waste my time with it" Evans
    I'd suggest not listening to your friend. It's a decent hybrid of The Happening and A Quiet Place, and is worth seeing for the buzz if the plot blurb you already know sounds interesting to you. It's a fun concept with some flaws in execution.

My biggest plot complaint is that the titular bird box was basically unused! I thought the characters would be able to take peeks at the outside world when the birds were calm, but have to put blindfolds on when the birds went nuts. What was the point of the bird box otherwise?

PS That Daily Mirror title is (not surprisingly) a joke. The movie wasn't scary and I wouldn't even call it horror.
    Last edited by Wander; 12-31-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Overall, I really enjoyed Bird Box and thought it harkened back to books and movies that engage your imagination for horror instead of something overly graphic.

Character development was strong as were certain plot points.

The end twists were somewhat predictable and still enjoyable.

A fun movie worth the time. John Malkovich was a great addition to the cast.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    No no no no no no no no! Don't you dare go there.
    Somebody has to like his movies, right?

I'm not a movie critic, but to my untrained eye, it was an entertaining and terrible movie.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Overall, I really enjoyed Bird Box and thought it harkened back to books and movies that engage your imagination for horror instead of something overly graphic.

Character development was strong as were certain plot points.

The end twists were somewhat predictable and still enjoyable.

A fun movie worth the time. John Malkovich was a great addition to the cast.
    I agree john Malkovich made the movie better.

Spoiler alert...

Exactly world war z mixed with the Blair witch add a touch of ghost ship.