Engagement Proposal- Need your help with St Johns Weekend- 3-5 tix possibly?

Hello DBR,

Yes, I am relatively new on this site but I am seeking guidance/suggestions on a huge day in my life. On Feb 2nd I am proposing at Duke. We are road tripping it from Ohio. I am flying out her friends from Cleveland, Chicago and Denver to help surprise her and celebrate on this weekend. Although we have traveled to other games (Clemson, and State Farm Championship), this will be both of our first experience to Cameron. Duke basketball is how we met/had our first connection (everyone around us are Ohio State and Kentucky (barf) fans) and I want it to be where we make the big commitment! This truly will be the best day of both of our lives!

-So far I paid an kings randsom for our seats (I purchased from stubhub to ensure we had legit seats). I reached out to some awesome folks at Duke, but they said the would not know if they could help me out until a week before the game. I couldn't take that risk so I purchased her dream seats section 17. I think I cried hitting that send button for paying that amount of mark up! I do have a few questions that I can't seem to get the straight scoop on the section:
    1. How early do I need to camp out to have decent seats? The game is at 12, but my proposal ETA is around 9ish. Its not a conference game and I know the students have the majority of this section. If its crazy early, I was going to have one of my buddies hold a spot in line (if thats even allowed)
    2. I hear there is a time where they allow non students to "fill in the gaps" of the student section. Any advice on what to do?
    3. Any other suggestions/tips? We are both late 20's but the atmosphere is what we both strive for!

-Ideally, I would love to take care of her friends that are making the journey. They are a huge part of both of our lives. Yes I am flying them out and paying for hotel, but I would also like to treat them to tickets. It looks like scalping/ looking for the Iron dukes is a possibility, but I rather buy ahead of time for peace of mind. I will need 3-5 tickets. Obviously, they do not need to be together. Does anyone have extra tickets or suggestions I can purchase so I can take care of these very important folks. I would just buy more online, but I can't afford the $600 per ticket market ups! I did donate to iron duke, but I am bottom of the barrel this year. I will definitely donate more the next upcoming!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or guidance. If you see a guy in his late two's with the biggest smile on his face this day, that will be me! Either way I will post pics of this day!

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by bfenn View Post
    Hello DBR,

Yes, I am relatively new on this site but I am seeking guidance/suggestions on a huge day in my life. On Feb 2nd I am proposing at Duke. We are road tripping it from Ohio.

-So far I paid an kings randsom for our seats (I purchased from stubhub to ensure we had legit seats). I reached out to some awesome folks at Duke, but they said the would not know if they could help me out until a week before the game. I couldn't take that risk so I purchased her dream seats section 17. I think I cried hitting that send button for paying that amount of mark up!
    Congratulations. I just hope your future spouse does not read DBR. As a transplanted SW Ohioan that uses GA/Section 17 tickets all the time, I really hate to be the possible bearer of bad news.

Have you asked the ticket office whether they put GA tickets in Section 17 on sale for anybody? I'm not confident those are real tickets. The students have to notify the ticket office that they won't fill Section 17 themselves, which typically occurs 1-5 days before the game. I'm not expecting that to happen for ANY weekend game after Clemson. Even weekday games where midterms conflict are unlikely. Super high-level donors like Grant Hill sit in Section 19 behind the team benches.

If you have real tickets in Section 17, you will be parallel to the baskets and use the "adult" entrances. You will only be competing for leftovers against however many GA tickets between the metal bars and the caution tape. "Filling in" to the center of Section 17 has not happened much this year.
    Last edited by duke2x; 12-27-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Congratulations. I just hope your future spouse does not read DBR. As a transplanted SW Ohioan that uses GA/Section 17 tickets all the time, I really hate to be the possible bearer of bad news.

Have you asked the ticket office whether they put GA tickets in Section 17 on sale for anybody? I'm not confident those are real tickets. The students have to notify the ticket office that they won't fill Section 17 themselves, which typically occurs 1-5 days before the game. I'm not expecting that to happen for ANY weekend game after Clemson. Even weekday games where midterms conflict are unlikely. Super high-level donors like Grant Hill sit in Section 19 behind the team benches.

If you have real tickets in Section 17, you will be parallel to the baskets and use the "adult" entrances. You will only be competing for leftovers against however many GA tickets between the metal bars and the caution tape. "Filling in" to the center of Section 17 has not happened much this year.
    They sell the tickets far earlier than 1-5 days before the game. The tickets also explicitly list section: 17, row: GA seat: GA. Pre game the line monitors put caution tape marking off the number of seats alloted to students in the middle, and GA fills in the side. Best hope is to get there early and stand at the entrance (usually at the north-east corner of the building). Right around tipoff, they'll let you move past the caution tape towards center court if there's any room.

Don't bet on it, though, with how crowded the couple decent games have been, and with how good the team is.
    Zion Williamson broke my brain.

"If you don't address the things you're not doing well when you're winning the winning will eventually stop."

-David Cutcliffe

You guys are great!

Thank you both for the tips. She is definitely not on DBR. I don't expect to be near mid court. I know section 19 is the "ideal section" but we are both in our mid/late 20's and do not want to sit for a second of the game. The only advantage I have is the game is non-conference. I'll be sure to try to get us there early as possible and post up near that corner.

I purchased insurance from the major ticket company on these seats (The company guarantees authenticity or a 200% back if the seller bails/ticket fraud). Tickets are also pick up only the day before the event with a license broker with over 1000 transactions. (No way in H*LL I was going to take a risk and buy off craigslist).

Think I'm down to only needing 1 more ticket! Let me know if you have anything or have any other great tips like Uh NO.