Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Texas Tech (Dec. 20th, 7:00 pm ESPN2) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

I wanted to start this thread simply because I am going to the game, likely my only chance to see, in-person, the True Blue Wrecking Crew (someone needs to come up with a good nickname for this team).

In looking at Texas Tech's KenPom numbers, they have earned their roughly top 10 ranking vs, literally, one of the five worst schedules in the entire country. I am usually loathe to buy into those stats having any meaning when a team takes the floor against us, but it is safe to assume that they haven't seen any team approaching our caliber all season.

Duke...MSG...NYC...the Holidays...I always look forward to these games and appreciate the program throwing us Yankees a bone every year.

Texas Tech preview

Here's a piece on the game from the Texas Tech website:

https://texastech.com/news/2018/12/1...no-2-duke.aspx

Bad news for most of us: Vitale is doing the game.

Texas Tech is a really old team, with two grad transfers and two seniors starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I wanted to start this thread simply because I am going to the game, likely my only chance to see, in-person, the True Blue Wrecking Crew (someone needs to come up with a good nickname for this team).

In looking at Texas Tech's KenPom numbers, they have earned their roughly top 10 ranking vs, literally, one of the five worst schedules in the entire country. I am usually loathe to buy into those stats having any meaning when a team takes the floor against us, but it is safe to assume that they haven't seen any team approaching our caliber all season.

Duke...MSG...NYC...the Holidays...I always look forward to these games and appreciate the program throwing us Yankees a bone every year.
    Tech is an older team with decent guard play that can defend. This will be a difficult challenge for Duke- mainly because it will very physical and a lot of fouls will be called. Duke has been shaky from the line. Duke will learn a lot but I expect a very close game.

BillyDat, I'm gonna be there too, my first Duke game at MSG. Taking my buddy for his birthday. Wear a duke blue lapel rose so I can identify you.

Getting nervous and excited!
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Tech is an older team with decent guard play that can defend. This will be a difficult challenge for Duke- mainly because it will very physical and a lot of fouls will be called. Duke has been shaky from the line. Duke will learn a lot but I expect a very close game.
    Yes, I was extremely confident going into the Gonzaga game and was humbled as a result. I, too, expect a real challenge. I just couldn't believe that their strength of schedule on KenPom is literally 350th out of 353 total teams.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    BillyDat, I'm gonna be there too, my first Duke game at MSG. Taking my buddy for his birthday. Wear a duke blue lapel rose so I can identify you.
    Getting nervous and excited!
    I will paint my face ala your avatar for easy identification. That, or I'll just stand and start screaming, "9F!" over and over again until I hear someone else stand and start to do the same thing which will be how all of us DBRers can find each other.

Not to dampen your enthusiasm as MSG is a magical place, the atmosphere that the Duke fans bring to the Garden tends to be lacking. Perhaps there will be some students on break and in the building, but the energy, at least over the past 10 years or so, is never quite "electric".

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

Vitale is doing the game.

Bad news for most of us: Texas Tech is a really old team, with two grad transfers and two seniors starting.
    Thanks for the link, I fixed the last two lines for you :-)

Can't wait to hear Dickie V cover Zion tonight, BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Can't wait to hear Dickie V cover Zion tonight, BABY!
    Thanks for the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Thanks for the warning.
    Yeah, little known truth about Dickie V. People love to to go to games he's covering...because A: that means it's a big game and B: they don't have to listen to him. And then there's C: he doesn't broadcast the game...except for a few PTPer's and diaper dandies....he's got his schtick that he rolls out every single game.

Texas Tech has KenPom's top rated defense. A challenge looms.

This should be an excellent match, on one of the great stages of college basketball.

TT was founded in 1923 as the Texas Technological College. It is located in Lubbock, Texas, whose nickname is the "Hub City" and is the birthplace of Buddy Holly, Delbert McClinton, and a slew of notable country musicians. Singer/writer John Denver was an alum of the school. John Hinkley, Jr. attended classes on and off for awhile but I don't think he graduated.

The only national title Texas Tech has won was in women's basketball in 1993. The men's team has made the NCAA's 14 times. Past coaches include Bobby Knight (duh), Pat Knight, Billy Gillespie and Tubby Smith.

This team plays excellent defense.

A big howdy-ho to our next opponent, the Red Raiders from Lubbock!

Yes, we all want the team to win.
    It will be interesting to see how the team has learned and developed since Gonzaga, and if that translates to victory.

As others have said, expecting a tough one.

It should be noted that among their wins was an 18-point beating of kenpom #14 Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I've written this before, but we should not fear Duke going to the line. Shooting FTs is just about the most efficient thing you can do on offense, such that even at Duke's poor pct on the season (67%), Duke will have an offensive efficiency of ~134 on offensive trips when we get to the line.
    It would be nice if we could bang down FTs at an 80% clip, producing an offensive efficiency of ~160 on those trips. But still, FT shooting does NOT hurt Duke's efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Yes, we all want the team to win.
    It will be interesting to see how the team has learned and developed since Gonzaga, and if that translates to victory.

As others have said, expecting a tough one.
    The matchups and circumstances are too different for us to tie the game back to any lessons learned (or not learned) from Gonzaga, imo.

Gonzaga has the #1 offense and a relatively poor defense. Texas Tech is the opposite. We'll be playing the game in NY where we play every season and where we're super comfortable. The Gonzaga game was played in Maui where perhaps the west coast Zags were better adjusted body-clock-wise. There were 0 days of rest and preparation in Maui, and the game was the 3rd on 3 consecutive days of play. Here, TTU will have had 4 days to rest and prepare, and Duke will have had 1 day of rest but likely more days than that for our coaches to prepare since the team had a long break for finals and I don't believe it was all used on Princeton.

... the atmosphere that the Duke fans bring to the Garden tends to be lacking... the energy, at least over the past 10 years or so, is never quite "electric".
    I have some fond memories of those beers with the pretzel sticks in the handles, I do.

My daughter is going. She's gorgeous. I'll tell her to yell 9F back but she'll likely send me a picture of herself giving me "the look."

I'm uneasy about this game, too. But, ALL IN!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    We'll be playing the game in NY where we play every season and where we're super comfortable.
    Since we start four freshmen, the fact that we play in NYC every season might not make us as comfortable as you might think. Even our veterans have logged very few career minutes in MSG (Marques 12; Jack 8; Javin 3). Which means our entire roster has played a grand combined total of 23 minutes in the Garden.

But still, FT shooting does NOT hurt Duke's efficiency.
    But it might hurt the rest of our blood pressure.

Playing a top ten team on a non-home court is never a "gimme." And MSG is a different environment that has given some of our teams problems

TT has had two relatively good wins so far, but the rest have been "Abilene Christian" type teams

I expect a relatively close, physical game. Ironically, it may be our depth that makes the difference.

Our team has shown an ability to adjust in-game so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lar77 View Post
    I expect a relatively close, physical game.
    What are the odds that K says something to the effect of, "Texas Tech are men." In the post-game presser?

If we win, it will be, "Texas Tech are men, and we had to play like men to beat them."

If we lose, "Texas Tech are men, and their physicality and toughness knocked us back."

The matchups and circumstances are too different for us to tie the game back to any lessons learned (or not learned) from Gonzaga, imo.

Gonzaga has the #1 offense and a relatively poor defense. Texas Tech is the opposite. We'll be playing the game in NY where we play every season and where we're super comfortable. The Gonzaga game was played in Maui where perhaps the west coast Zags were better adjusted body-clock-wise. There were 0 days of rest and preparation in Maui, and the game was the 3rd on 3 consecutive days of play. Here, TTU will have had 4 days to rest and prepare, and Duke will have had 1 day of rest but likely more days than that for our coaches to prepare since the team had a long break for finals and I don't believe it was all used on Princeton.
    Without validating the data, I believe at the time KenPom had Duke and Gonzaga rated pretty evenly offensively and defensively, so that “poor defensive team” had enough defense to hand us our first loss.

A freshmen led team doesn’t really translate to “comfortable in NY”. I agree with your point as a general statement, I don’t agree it applies to this year’s team.

The similarities between Gonzaga and Texas Tech are neutral site, and the older/younger team narrative. I do think there will be conclusions to be reached in comparison to the two games. Only time will tell what those conclusions are.

Let’s go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

Bad news for most of us: Vitale is doing the game.

Texas Tech is a really old team, with two grad transfers and two seniors starting.
    Thanks for sharing this article. There are a lot of counting stats (points, rebounds, etc.) but it was nice to read quotes from their coach, Chris Beard. It's also insightful to read the perspective of another fanbase.

While Tech is a team of players that are old by college basketball standards, they are not an old team. In fact, most of their starting lineup and key rotation players are brand new to the team. They are more like a new team with older bits. I think of an old team as one that has been playing together for a while, the San Antonio Spurs during the final years of Tim Duncan.

Tariq Owens is a familiar name after transferring from St. John's. Owens had a standout game in the disappointing performance (that I got to see live) in MSG last season. He scored 17 points in the upset and did what he does, block shots and generally make life miserable on the interior for opposing players. He is not a particularly frequent shooter, though, but does get a few buckets here and there. By blocked shot rate, he is among the best in the nation.

Owens isn't the only new face. Matt Mooney is a senior grad-transfer from South Dakota. He's the nominal point guard and a pesky defender, racking up a ton of steals. He can shoot the ball, too, and is 12-27 (44.4%) from behind the arc on the season. Sophomore guard/forward Deshawn Corprew is another fresh face after transferring from a junior college. His individual defensive stats are not as impressive as his peers, but he does contribute by scoring the ball. He might be their most natural scorer. Freshman Kyler Edwards is the other Red Raider in his first go-around with the team. He's another guard/wing in the 6'3"-5" range whose offensive role is similar to Mooney and Corprew. All three can shoot the ball well from deep but are just as comfortable taking the ball closer to the rim to score.

Senior Brandonne Francis, a 6'5" wing is yet another transfer, having started his college career at Florida. Unlike Mooney and Owens, he sat out a year and is playing in his second season with the Red Raiders. The longest tenured player on the roster backup 6'8" center Norense Odiase, a 5th-year senior that has played all his college home games in Lubbock, Texas. Odiase is not used all that much on offense, but he does score the ball reasonably well when he gets his chances. His main contribution is rebounding the ball and trying to block a shot when he can.

The rest of the regular rotation players are a trio of sophomores. The headliner of the group and for the team overall is Jarrett Culver. A Lubbock native, the 6'5" wing is an NBA 1st round draft prospect in his own right. He leads the team in scoring (19.1), assists (4.4), and rebounds (5.7) per game and can score from behind the arc or close in. He has blossomed into a great player and should garner All Big 12 and possibly All-American honors as the season progresses. I imagine he will be matched up on R.J. Barrett frequently. It should be a heck of a matchup. Another sophomore is yet another 6'3" guard, Davide Moretti. The Italian is a native of Bologna is a deadly accurate shooter from the charity stripe. He has missed 5 free throws in 48 attempts on so far in his career. He spreads his shots evenly inside and behind the arc this year to great effect. His effective field goal percentage this year is 55.2%, which is quite good. That's better than R.J. Barrett but not quite as good as Alex O'Connell. Morretti doesn't do a whole lot more than shoot, but he is quite good at that. The other sophomore in the trio is the tallest player on their roster, 6'10" Malik Ondigo. He is somewhat lightly used and we should expect to see him if there are issues with foul trouble. He can get an offensive rebound or maybe block a shot, but the rest of his game is limited at this stage of his career.

The Red Raiders have been starting a 2-big lineup with Owens and Odiase up front with Culver, Mooney, and Moretti on the exterior. The team is S L O W on offense, ranking in the bottom 50 in the nation in tempo. Everything is methodical. They do not shoot the ball form deep often, near the very bottom in 3-point rate. The goal is to get a good luck at the rim off of a cut to the rim or a kick-out to the corner. On defense, it's about limiting open looks, slapping the ball away, and blocking shots if all else fails. Texas Tech does not have overwhelming athleticism like Duke. The guys are not big or particularly long. It's just highly disciplined and aggressive on defense. On offense, time slows down. Shots are made as the final seconds of the clock tick off. You might fall asleep as the game plods along.

While Texas Tech has an impressive 10-0 record, that has come against an incredibly weak schedule. Their only meaningful games this year have been neutral affairs against Nebraska in Kansas City and Memphis in Miami. They won those two games in relatively convincing fashion, although the Memphis game was tight until the end. Texas Tech is a great defensive team, and defense travels. But they are not a great scoring team and lack a dynamic secondary scorer if Jarrett Culver is held in check. While Culver is quite a talent, he is going to give up size, length, and athleticism to pretty much everyone he faces when he has the ball in his hands. R.J., Cameron, Zion, and Jack all have at least a few inches and a couple of steps to spare. Few others on the Red Raiders appear capable of creating their own shots. If Duke continues its impressive run of deflecting passes and blocking shots, the Blue Devils should be able to get enough transition points to keep the game at a healthy distance in the second half. This will be the toughest defense Duke has faced so far this year, but it won't be a particularly stout offensive attack. And Texas Tech hasn't played in a high energy environment like this as a team. Individual players have, most notably Tariq Owens. How will the rest of the team respond to a big and loud audience? The only other time Texas Tech was in an NBA arena this year, in Miami against Memphis, they looked ok. But the stands were mostly empty. Madison Square Garden is going to be rocking tomorrow night (as I write this). I hope Duke is ready to ramp up the pressure. I'd love to see a quick start by the Blue Devils. Allowing the opponent to acclimate and gain comfort could lead to a long night. Duke has the firepower to come from behind, but I would rather not be in that position. Best to be a frontrunner against a team that wants to squeeze the life out of the game.

When this game was announced over the summer, it didn't seem like it would be a marquee matchup. But here is a chance for another signature win against a high major opponent. Let's see if Duke can further add to its own hype.

Beard

Lower on the page with the preview, there’s a nice video of Beard’s recent press conference where he talks about playing Duke. I was impressed by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Since we start four freshmen, the fact that we play in NYC every season might not make us as comfortable as you might think. Even our veterans have logged very few career minutes in MSG (Marques 12; Jack 8; Javin 3). Which means our entire roster has played a grand combined total of 23 minutes in the Garden.
    As Coach K might/would say, we have two programs playing each other, not just two teams. I do find comfort in the fact that our coaches, trainers, equipment folks, etc. don't have have to spend a single second wondering which hotel to stay, where/when to do a film session with the players, where/when to do a walkthrough, or just generally what the gameday routine will be. We can just use the routines from past seasons. Am I saying the familiarity advantage is a huge deal that's worth more than, say, one point? Nah, but I believe it's a non-zero factor.

Without validating the data, I believe at the time KenPom had Duke and Gonzaga rated pretty evenly offensively and defensively, so that “poor defensive team” had enough defense to hand us our first loss.
    On the morning of the Maui Championship game, Duke was ranked #1 offensively and #5 defensively in kenpom. Gonzaga was ranked #5 offensively and #17 defensively in kenpom. (TTU was #41 offensively and #3 defensively). I think it's fair to say that Gonzaga is an offensive team and TTU is a defensive team, especially with more data having come in.

The similarities between Gonzaga and Texas Tech are neutral site, and the older/younger team narrative. I do think there will be conclusions to be reached in comparison to the two games. Only time will tell what those conclusions are.
    Let me ask you this. Where does Auburn fit into all these conclusions that we're drawing? I mean, top-10 team, neutral court, older/younger. Seems like all the factors were there. What conclusions did you draw from playing Gonzaga after playing Auburn?