Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cameron-Krzyzewski Indoor Stadium?

Rename the facility? Maybe when K retires in 15 or 20 years, but not before then!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

K was asked this question when the court was named Coach K court. K said he preferred that it always be called Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Rename Cameron? Deposit that idea directly into the circle file.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post
    Ditto.
    Concur.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    Concur.
    Agreed
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevil View Post
    Agreed
    In accordance with the above.

Both have been honored appropriately it seems to me.

Now, Duke-Krzyzewski University on the other hand . . . .

It should remain Cameron Indoor Stadium as long as the building stands.

Continuity, tradition, branding...some of the many reasons to keep it as is.
    BTW, no one understands branding better than K. Cameron has a brand that is second to none in basketball.

Mount Rushmore, Cameron Indoor Stadium, and I are all the very same age. None of us need a name change. Although the other two have had face lifts -- just sayin'.
    Love, Ima

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post
    It should remain Cameron Indoor Stadium as long as the building stands.

Continuity, tradition, branding...some of the many reasons to keep it as is.
    BTW, no one understands branding better than K. Cameron has a brand that is second to none in basketball.
    I always felt the same about Duke Indoor Stadium back in the 50's and 60's - then they change that...

Tear Cameron down - Never

Maybe they should tear Cameron down since it is so old, then build a 10,000 person capacity building and call it THE K CENTER.
    No!
    The way it is now is the best way to honor K and Cameron!

In the mid-80’s there was a proposal to expand Cameron by taking off the room and adding another ring of seats up there IIRC. Thankfully, it was rejected.

Of course, when I was there “air conditioning” in Cameron meant opening the windows up top.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    not until you shred it first

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I always felt the same about Duke Indoor Stadium back in the 50's and 60's - then they change that...
    There was very little name equity in the building then...now Cameron Indoor has more name equity than any arena in college basketball...totally diff circumstances

Now wait, wait, let's not be hasty. I could go for maybe a name change, assuming we clear the decks first, priorities you know. First we need to rename that old broken down ruin in Rome, The Peugeot--Deutsch Bank Colosseum. Then it needs to be remodeled into a multi-use arena for Miley Cyrus concerts and UFC events.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 12-17-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Thumbs down on this idea to rename Cameron.

When I saw the headline, "rename Cameron Indoor Stadium," my initial reaction was "eww, no."

But remembering that it was not originally named CIS and then seeing Cameron-Krzyzewski Indoor Center (or the C-K Center, for short), I have softened my stance a little.

I would still prefer that it remains as is, though, the Coach K Court at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    There was very little name equity in the building then...now Cameron Indoor has more name equity than any arena in college basketball...totally diff circumstances
    What the hell is name equity in a basketball arena on a college campus? The name equity is Duke.

yeah, universities have to maintain their vacuuming of cash, so we'll probably end up with the Womble Towels on the DevilDeac chairs on the OPK sideline near Coach K Court at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
    It has a nice ring to it, no?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    But remembering that it was not originally named CIS and then seeing Cameron-Krzyzewski Indoor Center (or the C-K Center, for short), I have softened my stance a little..
    With due respect, why would that matter? Back then, there was no ESPN, no social media, and college hoops was a much smaller universe. The name Duke Indoor Stadium carried no real recognition, and only had a reputation among the ACC teams who knew it was a tough building to play in. There was no 'equity cost' to re-naming it then. Now it is up there with Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, Wrigley Field, The Rose Bowl, and other iconic sports facilities. Even Kansas' Allen Field House doesn't compare with national reputation. Nothing in college hoops does.

Changing it from DIS to CIS back then is nothing at all like changing it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    What the hell is name equity in a basketball arena on a college campus? The name equity is Duke.
    Really? I mean, you don't understand the concept? Yes, Duke as a name brings a whole lot of the equity too, but I wouldn't change that name either.