Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Layering in chamenade and perhaps some of the other great underdogs in history (a revolutionary soldier, David) etc would, IMO, make it funny.

I have no problem with a umbrella player, I just don’t think it’s funny or clever.

I think this is great. At least the Crazies are attempting something new to get their “status” back!

They have officially raised enough money to fly him over.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think some of y'all are getting worked up over nothing. This is a fun stunt, the kind of thing the Crazies are great at. I'd love to see them also have a fan or someone wearing a Chaminade jersey. Between Chaminade and UMBC, Virginia is on the wrong end of the two biggest upsets in college hoops history. Reminding them of that is what makes the Crazies special and stand out among the many crowds across college hoops.

But, the notion that UVa will be extra motivated by it or that they would have been thrown and flustered if we had kept the UMBC appearance under wraps just does not ring true to me. This is a stunt and will not meaningfully impact the outcome of the game. The players on both these teams know how to tune this "Bullshoot" out and not worry about it. This is really just something for the TV cameras**, IMO.

-Jason "**- Not that there is anything wrong with that" Evans

I completely disagree with all this. But I'll concede I'm as unlikely to change your mind as you are to mine.

Moreover, the length of this exchange is now out of proportion to my interest in it. Bon nuit.

I am all for creative new ideas, but this one doesn't really do it for me. I think you would actually get more out of ordering a bunch of UMBC shirts or hats and having a big block of Crazies wear them. Having a random UMBC player in the crowd seems pointless - who cares if he is just sitting there? This one just screams "overprivileged Duke kids wasting their money on a silly stunt."

I think some of y'all are getting worked up over nothing. This is a fun stunt, the kind of thing the Crazies are great at. I'd love to see them also have a fan or someone wearing a Chaminade jersey. Between Chaminade and UMBC, Virginia is on the wrong end of the two biggest upsets in college hoops history. Reminding them of that is what makes the Crazies special and stand out among the many crowds across college hoops.

But, the notion that UVa will be extra motivated by it or that they would have been thrown and flustered if we had kept the UMBC appearance under wraps just does not ring true to me. This is a stunt and will not meaningfully impact the outcome of the game. The players on both these teams know how to tune this "Bullshoot" out and not worry about it. This is really just something for the TV cameras**, IMO.

-Jason "**- Not that there is anything wrong with that" Evans
    Ding, ding, ding. Been waiting for someone to point out that these coaches, given the way they teach, and the types of guys they recruit (especially our guys as they are older and more experienced) are unlikely to be affected by something like this in any way that might tangibly impact the game.

Would be funny for TV though, I'd think. The thought that Guy or Jerome would get EITHER "shook" or extra-motivated by seeing the guy from UMBC is absurd.

Comes off a little cringey and try-hard to this (admittedly biased) Wahoo. I think weezie hit my thoughts rather well. That said, it's not vulgar or offensive or anything like that. He'll get some pregame air time next to Vitale if he does the game, guys from both teams will go over and give him the "respect" bro-hug, and the players will all move on.

I completely understand and encourage it on Maura's part. A free plane trip and (presumably) front-row ticket to one of the biggest games of the year? That's great hustle, young man.

I think angle someone else brought up....having some reference to both Chaminade and UMBC would be funny...maybe have some jerseys from both in the crowd, etc.

But the whole crowd funding thing to bring in a player? Kinda trying too hard...(though if I'm the player, I accept).

They didn't need to do this gofundme thing. The line monitors are totalitarian regime anyway, they could have just brought him into the game as a surprise. This is just meh. It's not a big deal, kinda funny, execution just poor. At least they're trying though. UVA has owned the conference the past few years, so they are certainly moving into "rival" territory.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    They didn't need to do this gofundme thing. The line monitors are totalitarian regime anyway, they could have just brought him into the game as a surprise. This is just meh. It's not a big deal, kinda funny, execution just poor. At least they're trying though. UVA has owned the conference the past few years, so they are certainly moving into "rival" territory.
    How? He's playing in Puerto Rico --- probably not the most lucrative pro league to be in. My guess is he only agreed to come if someone paid for his travel. At that point, who's going to pay for it? Having everyone who wants to see this chip in a few bucks makes sense.

Get off my lawn, kid!

Man... This isn't that serious. While it might be a stunt, it hurts no one. But the majority of responses are of the "GET OFF MY LAWN" variety. Lighten up a little bit and let the kids be kids.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    Man... This isn't that serious. While it might be a stunt, it hurts no one. But the majority of responses are of the "GET OFF MY LAWN" variety. Lighten up a little bit and let the kids be kids.
    or you could lighten up....most of the responses are "meh, kinda lame but harmless" - do a recount.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    How? He's playing in Puerto Rico --- probably not the most lucrative pro league to be in. My guess is he only agreed to come if someone paid for his travel. At that point, who's going to pay for it? Having everyone who wants to see this chip in a few bucks makes sense.
    This is my bad. Thought he was coming from B-more. Touche. Gofundme all good.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Didn’t the fan that Ol’Roy had ejected from the game at unc show up at the Duke game? Similar?

Indeed...

I do think the UVa players are getting extra motivation from the UMBC loss, particularly Jerome and Guy. The word out of Charlottesville is that the team has been working harder than ever before.

That extra chip on the shoulder just has nothing to do with Duke or its fans, but rather the entire NCAA basketball world and will be there for every team this season. On the other hand, Duke provides UVa (and, similarly, other teams) motivation simply because Duke is a strong team with a strong coach. Who doesn't take a game at Cameron as a special challenge?

Thinking back to last year's game, and games stretching back to when every year's series entailed a home-and-home with every team in the conference, I have two thoughts:

(1) I really do miss the home-and-home when we got Duke (and every other team in the ACC) home and away; there was something very special about that.

(2) If we don't get Duke for a home-and-home (we do this year), at least I want to play Duke at Duke; that provides what Tony Bennett calls "truth serum," which powder puffs typically don't.

The bottom line for me: the players will be expecting (and have already received) heckling for the UMBC loss. It's part of the game, just like fans waving their arms during foul shots. Let the fans have all the fun they want so long as it doesn't slip into something that could be dangerous (e.g., throwing ice) or something that is patently offensive (e.g., some of the stuff directed at Juan Dixon).