Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 79
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!

    Tracking Duke's Defense - 2018-19

    We had one of these threads last year and it is probably worth launching one for this season as well. Many seem to think Duke is playing the best D we have seen in many years (at least since 2010). Kedsy is the genius who has all the great defensive stats and I leave it to him to provide us with an ongoing tally of what Duke is doing**.

    But, I wanted to get the thread started with this article praising the phenomenal on the ball D from Tre Jones. I think Tre is our best on-the-ball defender since at least Duhon, maybe since Wojo or maybe even Billy King. Truly remarkable for a freshman!

    Jones’ knee bruise came when he dove on the floor for a loose ball, easily the sixth time in the game the freshman point guard had done so. While slapping the floor to prepare for a defensive stand has long been a tradition at Duke, this year’s team, led by Jones, is doing so with their bodies, not their palms.

    Zion Williamson, the team’s 285-pound future NBA draft pick, has also made a habit of throwing himself to the floor to corral loose balls. The effort has produced a suffocating pressure defense not seen in Durham since the heyday of the early 1990s.
    -Jason "**- I know Kedsy posts his stats in the post game thread, but I am hoping he will do it here too so we can track the D on an ongoing basis from game-to-game" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We had one of these threads last year and it is probably worth launching one for this season as well. Many seem to think Duke is playing the best D we have seen in many years (at least since 2010). Kedsy is the genius who has all the great defensive stats and I leave it to him to provide us with an ongoing tally of what Duke is doing**.

    But, I wanted to get the thread started with this article praising the phenomenal on the ball D from Tre Jones. I think Tre is our best on-the-ball defender since at least Duhon, maybe since Wojo or maybe even Billy King. Truly remarkable for a freshman!



    -Jason "**- I know Kedsy posts his stats in the post game thread, but I am hoping he will do it here too so we can track the D on an ongoing basis from game-to-game" Evans
    OK, I'll do it. I'll try to transfer the defensive side stats from the post game threads sometime in the next week and then keep it going from there.

  3. #3

    Kentucky

    Defensive stats vs. Kentucky:

    dRtg: 1.02
    eFG%: 47.5%
    3pt%: 23.5%
    2pt%: 52.4%
    %threes: 28.8%
    FT rate: 64.4%
    DR%: 69.4%
    TO%: 18.2%
    a/to ratio: 1.13:1
    %assisted: 65.4%
    fast break: 12 fb points for 14.3%
    block%: 5.1% (7.1% of two-point shots)

  4. #4

    Army

    dRtg: 0.92
    eFG%: 43.6%
    3pt%: 38.7%
    2pt%: 28.1%
    %threes: 39.7%
    FT rate: 9.0%
    DR%: 74.5%
    TO%: 12.8%
    a/to ratio: 2.2: 1
    %assisted: 78.6%
    fast break: 9 fb pts for 12.5% of points scored
    block%: 32.1% (56.3% of two-point shots)

  5. #5

    Eastern Michigan

    dRtg: 0.63
    eFG%: 33.1%
    3pt%: 16.7%
    2pt%: 36.0%
    %threes: 26.5%
    FT rate: 4.4%
    DR%: 67.3%
    TO%: 26.2%
    a/to: 0.47:1
    %assisted: 42.9%
    fast break pts: 4 fb pts for 8.7%
    block%: 16.2%; 22.0% of 2-point shots

  6. #6

    San Diego State

    dRtg: 0.88
    eFG%: 41.5%
    3pt%: 28.6%
    2pt%: 40.6%
    %threes: 39.6%
    FT rate: 50.9%
    DR%: 78.4%
    TO%: 17.9%
    a/to: 0.62:1
    %assisted: 42.1%
    fast break pts: 2 fb pts in first half; box score didn't say in second half
    block%: 7.5%; 12.9% of 2-point shots

  7. #7

    Auburn

    dRtg: 1.02 (adjusted 90.4)
    eFG%: 43.5%
    3pt%: 34.4%
    2pt%: 35.6%
    %threes: 41.6%
    FT rate: 11.6%
    DR%: 64.0%
    TO%: 12.7%
    a/to: 1.56:1
    %assisted: 50.0%
    fast break pts: 18 fb pts for 25.0%
    block%: 14.3%; 22.2% of 2-point shots

  8. #8

    Gonzaga

    dRtg: 1.23 (adjusted 108.0)
    eFG%: 60.0%
    3pt%: 52.6%
    2pt%: 52.2%
    %threes: 29.2%
    FT rate: 29.2%
    DR%: 62.9%
    TO%: 15.2%
    a/to: 1.45:1
    %assisted: 32.4%
    fast break pts: 17 fb pts for 19.1%
    block%: 9.2%; 10.9% of 2-point shots

  9. #9

    Indiana

    dRtg: 0.88 (adjusted 0.78)
    eFG%: 43.0%
    3pt%: 31.3%
    2pt%: 41.7%
    %threes: 25.0%
    FT rate: 39.1%
    DR%: 59.5%
    TO%: 25.4%
    a/to: 0.65:1
    %assisted: 52.0%
    fast break pts: 4 fb pts for 5.8%
    block%: 15.6%; 20.8% of 2-point shots

  10. #10

    Stetson

    dRtg: 0.60 (adjusted 0.69)
    eFG%: 33.3%
    3pt%: 8.7%
    2pt%: 46.2%
    %threes: 37.1%
    FT rate: 21.0%
    DR%: 69.6%
    TO%: 31.8%
    a/to: 0.42:1
    %assisted: 55.0%
    fast break pts: 7 fb pts for 14.3%
    block%: 8.1%; 10.3% of 2-point shots

  11. #11

    Hartford

    dRtg: 0.74 (adjusted 0.76)
    eFG%: 33.3%
    3pt%: 29.6%
    2pt%: 35.3%
    %threes: 39.3%
    FT rate: 14.8%
    DR%: 69.8%
    TO%: 28.9%
    a/to: 0.62:1
    %assisted: 65.0%
    fast break pts: 3 fb pts for 5.6%
    block%: 16.4%; 29.4% of 2-point shots

  12. #12

    Yale

    dRtg: 0.70 (adjusted 0.66)
    eFG%: 37.7%
    3pt%: 13.0%
    2pt%: 47.6%
    %threes: 35.4%
    FT rate: 16.9%
    DR%: 76.2%
    TO%: 27.7%
    a/to: 0.61:1
    %assisted: 60.9%
    fast break pts: 9 fb pts for 15.5%
    block%: 7.7%; 14.3% of 2-point shots

  13. #13

    After 10 games

    After 10 games, here are our national ranks in various defensive stats (all unadjusted except "adjusted dRating"):

    unadjusted dRating: #13 (.859)

    adjusted dRating: #5 (.899)

    opp eFG%: #10 (42.3%)

    opp FT rate: #23 (tie) (24.7%)

    DR%: #286 (tie) (69.2%)

    opp TO%: #95 (tie) (n/a)

    opp asst%: #267 (tie) (56.1%)

    block%: #6 (tie) (17.6%)

    steals%: #2 (tie) (14.5%)

    opp 3pt%: #30 (28.2%)

    opp %threes: #61 (tie) (34.8%)

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    After 10 games, here are our national ranks in various defensive stats (all unadjusted except "adjusted dRating"):

    unadjusted dRating: #13 (.859)

    adjusted dRating: #5 (.899)

    opp eFG%: #10 (42.3%)

    opp FT rate: #23 (tie) (24.7%)

    DR%: #286 (tie) (69.2%)

    opp TO%: #95 (tie) (n/a)

    opp asst%: #267 (tie) (56.1%)

    block%: #6 (tie) (17.6%)

    steals%: #2 (tie) (14.5%)

    opp 3pt%: #30 (28.2%)

    opp %threes: #61 (tie) (34.8%)
    How’s our FT% defense😀. That number is an important piece to our luck factor.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Since Gonzaga the efficiency stats are astonishing and historically good - and consistent. I don’t know if something in the defensive strategy was changed or if that game was a wake up call to the team about defensive effort/commitment or if it’s just a matter of the team getting more comfortable playing team defense with each other, but it’s so exciting to see. Our ability to turn defense into offense reminds me of the late 80s teams and the fast break game with multiple wings reminds me of the 92 team. Very curious to see how well we can maintain this level of defense when the conference schedule starts.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Since Gonzaga the efficiency stats are astonishing and historically good - and consistent. I don’t know if something in the defensive strategy was changed or if that game was a wake up call to the team about defensive effort/commitment or if it’s just a matter of the team getting more comfortable playing team defense with each other, but it’s so exciting to see. Our ability to turn defense into offense reminds me of the late 80s teams and the fast break game with multiple wings reminds me of the 92 team. Very curious to see how well we can maintain this level of defense when the conference schedule starts.
    Its probably just that Gonzaga is a great team
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    How’s our FT% defense😀. That number is an important piece to our luck factor.
    Tied for 56th (65.2%).

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Its probably just that Gonzaga is a great team
    Well, our adjusted efficiency rating is significantly better than all the pre-Gonzaga games, other than Eastern Michigan. So it would appear that something has changed/improved since then. Of course, not necessarily. We just have four straight games of amazing defensive efficiency - could just be a coincidence. Or not.
    Singler is IRON

    I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

  19. #19
    Imagine how impressive our ratings would be if Coach K would see the light and play some zone. Sorry, couldn’t resist.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate85 View Post
    Imagine how impressive our ratings would be if Coach K would see the light and play some zone. Sorry, couldn’t resist.
    And imagine if he rested the guys with tired legs.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Similar Threads

  1. Tracking the polls
    By wilson in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 02-12-2019, 04:26 PM
  2. 2019 Mock Draft tracking
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 165
    Last Post: 01-29-2019, 08:27 PM
  3. Tracking Duke’s Defense
    By cato in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 419
    Last Post: 03-25-2018, 09:42 PM
  4. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-17-2015, 03:42 PM
  5. Dork Poll Tracking 2012-13
    By mr. synellinden in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 11:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •