Thread: The Good Place

The Good Place

So, we are finally going to get to see The Good Place... I'm so excited for this!!

I wonder if anyone is there.

-Jason "it is a crime against humanity that only about 4 million people a week watch this show" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, we are finally going to get to see The Good Place... I'm so excited for this!!

-Jason "it is a crime against humanity that only about 4 million people a week watch this show" Evans
    We are late adopters to this show, but every time I watch it I am amazed it is on the air. They delve into some pretty interesting philosophical debates, if on a superficial level. As a religion/philosophy major, I am amazed anyone else watches, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    We are late adopters to this show, but every time I watch it I am amazed it is on the air. They delve into some pretty interesting philosophical debates, if on a superficial level. As a religion/philosophy major, I am amazed anyone else watches, to be honest.
    When you make jokes like this, you know the show has a certain education requirement that may eliminate a lot of people...

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Well, no one from the last 500 years.

"it is a crime against humanity that only about 4 million people a week watch this show"
    I know... I haven't been this upset about something since my good friend Taylor was rudely upstaged by my other friend Kanye who was defending my best friend Beyonce!

I only discovered the show recently and am halfway through Season 2 but it's been brilliant so far.

When you make jokes like this, you know the show has a certain education requirement that may eliminate a lot of people...

That's hilarious.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I've been watching although I'm behind on season 3. I thought Season 1 was great, 2 took a bit to get rolling but then was solid, and 3 has been strong. Really smart witty writing and solid acting all around. Jason is great comic relief in tandem with everything else. It's the favorite show on the air for a couple of my family members who told me that I had to watch it.

They've also been releasing animated features of "mother forkin' morals" tutorials while the show is on by hiatus. Here's one:

https://youtu.be/fvfLU4kY_8A
    Last edited by Bluedog; 12-13-2018 at 11:51 PM.

Season 3 finale tonight... to get you ready, here is the best of Janet.

Season 3 finale tonight... to get you ready, here is the best of Janet.

Took me awhile to warm up to Janet. Now she's a favorite.

so on the strength of the recommendations in this thread, I decided to check out this show. My cable provider (Xfinity) charges $2.99 per episode if I want to start at the beginning!

It's really annoying when once free, over the air content costs something to see now. Don't get me started on CBS charging for early in-season episodes of current shows!

Unless someone tells me of a free way to see this, I guess I will pass.

I do have amazon prime and Netflix, so if it's out there I guess I could give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    so on the strength of the recommendations in this thread, I decided to check out this show. My cable provider (Xfinity) charges $2.99 per episode if I want to start at the beginning!

It's really annoying when once free, over the air content costs something to see now. Don't get me started on CBS charging for early in-season episodes of current shows!

Unless someone tells me of a free way to see this, I guess I will pass.

I do have amazon prime and Netflix, so if it's out there I guess I could give it a try.
    Pretty sure it is on Netflix...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Pretty sure it is on Netflix...
    Yup, seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix. Season 3 is on Hulu or can be streamed through NBC.com. Under no circumstances should you pay $2.99 an episode to Xfinity... though if there is any show worth paying money for, this is it.

Be sure to watch more than just a couple episodes if you are not sure about it. Trust me, the stuff that happens to the characters as the show moves along is truly amazing, some of the best plotting I've ever seen in a comedy. Whatever you do, don't get spoiled. I beg you to let the story unfold for you without knowing what to expect.

-Jason "BA83, I predict you will check back in with us in about a week or two, having binged all three seasons and dying to talk about it" Evans

Yup, seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix. Season 3 is on Hulu or can be streamed through NBC.com. Under no circumstances should you pay $2.99 an episode to Xfinity... though if there is any show worth paying money for, this is it.

Be sure to watch more than just a couple episodes if you are not sure about it. Trust me, the stuff that happens to the characters as the show moves along is truly amazing, some of the best plotting I've ever seen in a comedy. Whatever you do, don't get spoiled. I beg you to let the story unfold for you without knowing what to expect.

-Jason "BA83, I predict you will check back in with us in about a week or two, having binged all three seasons and dying to talk about it" Evans
    I have watched some. At 22 minutes per episode (sans commercials), it's pretty easy to blow through a bunch. There is so much to talk about, but for now I will say this:

I was always kinda meh on Kristen Bell, but now she is definitely top 5 celebrity crush!

Through the first half of season 1, I wondered where they could go with this. I figured out (or at least suspected) the first plot twist (a la that infamous twilight zone episode). The writers have done a really good job of keeping the series fresh with reboots, plot twists and turns, macro-level quest(s), and micro-level character development, relationships and personal development.

The philosophical discussions around ethics and morality that weave throughout make the show fun and interesting. It definitely validates my thought that I wish I had added a philosophy major to my college experience.

While not a LOL sitcom, I have found myself laughing from time to time. The characters work, they cast well. Jason was at first annoying and unbelievably too stupid, but he kinda grows on you. He's a formulaic character, but formulas exist for a reason.

The show has a great deal of originality to it.