Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2018-19 Undefeated Thread

OK, it's time to start our annual countdown of the unbeatens. Gonzaga went down yesterday, so there are 9 left. Here they are along with their schedule thru 12/31/2018. Except for Virginia and Michigan, everyone has at least one top 100 opponent, so we may lose 3 or 4 teams from the list by New Years.

Rankings are per kenpom. (Where I omit the kenpom rank, it's lower than that team's other opponents.)

[2] Kansas (8-0). 12/15 vs. [16] Villanova, 12/22 at [43] Ariz. St. Also face S Dakota and E. Mich.

[3] Virginia (9-0). 12/19 at [103] South Carolina. Also face William & Mary and Marshall.

[4] Michigan (10-0). Games against [221] Western Mich., Air Force and Binghamton.

[5] Nevada (10-0). Games against [80] S Dakota St. and [125] Akron, then a Pac-12 matchup at [128] Utah.

[12] Texas Tech (8-0). 12/20 vs. [1] Duke. Also play Northwestern St., [169] Abilene Christian and Rio Grande.

[34] Buffalo (9-0). 12/18 at [18] Syracuse, 12/21 at [35] Marquette. Also play So. Illinois and Canisius.

[36] Houston (8-0). 12/12 vs. [49] LSU, 12/16 vs. [72] St. Louis, 12/20 vs. [58] Utah St. Also play NJIT and Coppin St.

[53] St. John's (9-0). 12/29 at [56] Seton Hall. Before that, they have games vs. Wagner, St. Francis and Sacred Heart.

[115] Furman 12/21 at [49] LSU, 12/29 at [129] E. Tennessee St. Before that, they warm up against Charleston Southern and UNC Wilmington.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    OK, it's time to start our annual countdown of the unbeatens. Gonzaga went down yesterday, so there are 9 left. Here they are along with their schedule thru 12/31/2018. Except for Virginia and Michigan, everyone has at least one top 100 opponent, so we may lose 3 or 4 teams from the list by New Years.

Rankings are per kenpom. (Where I omit the kenpom rank, it's lower than that team's other opponents.)

[2] Kansas (8-0). 12/15 vs. [16] Villanova, 12/22 at [43] Ariz. St. Also face S Dakota and E. Mich.

[3] Virginia (9-0). 12/19 at [103] South Carolina. Also face William & Mary and Marshall.

[4] Michigan (10-0). Games against [221] Western Mich., Air Force and Binghamton.

[5] Nevada (10-0). Games against [80] S Dakota St. and [125] Akron, then a Pac-12 matchup at [128] Utah.

[12] Texas Tech (8-0). 12/20 vs. [1] Duke. Also play Northwestern St., [169] Abilene Christian and Rio Grande.

[34] Buffalo (9-0). 12/18 at [18] Syracuse, 12/21 at [35] Marquette. Also play So. Illinois and Canisius.

[36] Houston (8-0). 12/12 vs. [49] LSU, 12/16 vs. [72] St. Louis, 12/20 vs. [58] Utah St. Also play NJIT and Coppin St.

[53] St. John's (9-0). 12/29 at [56] Seton Hall. Before that, they have games vs. Wagner, St. Francis and Sacred Heart.

[115] Furman 12/21 at [49] LSU, 12/29 at [129] E. Tennessee St. Before that, they warm up against Charleston Southern and UNC Wilmington.
    I would be extremely surprised if more than 3 teams get through January undefeated and none ge through by March madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I would be extremely surprised if more than 3 teams get through January undefeated and none ge through by March madness.
    Nevada has a schedule to potentially get it done. They have already beaten Arizona State and don't really play anybody else of consequence until the NCAA Tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Nevada has a schedule to potentially get it done. They have already beaten Arizona State and don't really play anybody else of consequence until the NCAA Tourney.
    Yeah, there is a decent chance that Nevada will enter the NCAA tourney having not played a single other tournament team. All their games against power conference opponents have been against middle-of-the-pack teams from the Pac12 (Az St, Utah, and USC) and the Pac12 is really bad this year (I suspect it will only get like 3-4 bids). BYU is nothing special this season. The rest of the Mountain West (Nevada's conference) are not teams that project to get an at-large bid.

Nevada will probably lose, but there is probably at least a 10% chance they make it to the tourney undefeated. Would that be enough to get them a #1 seed?

-Jason "I expect they will lose 1 game, probably to Utah State, and they will be a #2 seed" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

T-Rank and Nevada

T-Rank predicts Nevada to go 28-3 in the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Nevada will probably lose, but there is probably at least a 10% chance they make it to the tourney undefeated. Would that be enough to get them a #1 seed?

-Jason "I expect they will lose 1 game, probably to Utah State, and they will be a #2 seed" Evans
    IF Nevada is undefeated going into the Tourney, they will absolutely steal a #1 Seed. Hopefully they will drop at least one game before then. But they might not with that schedule.

IF Nevada is undefeated going into the Tourney, they will absolutely steal a #1 Seed. Hopefully they will drop at least one game before then. But they might not with that schedule.
    Let's see how they react if they enter the NCAA with a big target on their back. I mean, they are legit team, but they're not used to being "the hunted" on a national scale. Takes a while to get used to that. As a Duke fan, from before Coach K's time, I am well acquainted with that transition...as many others at DBR are as well.

Texas Tech goes down. 8 undefeated remain.

Texas Tech goes down. 8 undefeated remain.
    As much as our lack of OOC away schedule is criticized, why is UVA not trashed over their undefeated start? They’ve been a great reg season team for a number of years, yet this year their only notable games - mandated B1G against Maryland and neutral game against Wisconsin. Mostly cupcakes and game against Dayton sprinkled in. That’s a Herb Sendek schedule

My gut tells me that Bobby Hurley’s squad comes through on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    As much as our lack of OOC away schedule is criticized, why is UVA not trashed over their undefeated start? They’ve been a great reg season team for a number of years, yet this year their only notable games - mandated B1G against Maryland and neutral game against Wisconsin. Mostly cupcakes and game against Dayton sprinkled in. That’s a Herb Sendek schedule
    And they've played every directional/hyphenated/smallish school within 100 miles EXCEPT Maryland-Baltimore County!!

• Towson
    • GW
    • Coppin St.
    • Maryland
    • Morgan St.
    • VCU
    • Bill and Mary
    • Marshall

--Jason "for shame!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Philadukie View Post
    My gut tells me that Bobby Hurley’s squad comes through on Saturday.
    "My gut tells me that Bobby Hurley’s squad comes through against #1 Kansas on Saturday."

A couple of extra facts to keep clueless here from having to look up ASU's schedule. Also saw that ASU is the only ranked team in the PAC-12.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    "My gut tells me that Bobby Hurley’s squad comes through against #1 Kansas on Saturday."

A couple of extra facts to keep clueless here from having to look up ASU's schedule. Also saw that ASU is the only ranked team in the PAC-12.
    Worth noting that, despite the human polls liking them, KenPom says Bobby's guys are only the 49th best team in the land.

Wojo takes on undefeated Buffalo on FS1 tonight at 8, if anyone is interested.

Marquette is favored by 4, I believe.

^^^ Oops. Game time is 8:30.

Down to 6, take Furman and Buffalo off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    Yup. Two undefeated go down on the road:Furman falls to LSU 75 - 57
    Buffalo falls to Marquette 103 - 85

6 undefeated remain

Saturday games:
    Virginia (10-0) hosts (184) William & Mary
    Michigan (11-0) hosts (254) Air Force
    Nevada (11-0) hosts (122) Akron
    Kansas (10-0) visits (49) Arizona State
    St Johns (11-0) hosts (283) Sacred Heart

Sunday:
    Houston (11-0) hosts winless (352) Coppin State

Yup. Two undefeated go down on the road:Furman falls to LSU 75 - 57
    Buffalo falls to Marquette 103 - 85

-6 undefeated remain

Saturday games:
    Virginia (10-0) hosts (184) William & Mary
    Michigan (11-0) hosts (254) Air Force
    Nevada (11-0) hosts (122) Akron
    Kansas (10-0) visits (49) Arizona State
    St Johns (11-0) hosts (283) Sacred Heart

Sunday:
    Houston (11-0) hosts winless (352) Coppin State
    We'll take care of Virginia and St. Johns during the regular season, and the others if we play them in the tournament. No undefeated teams this year, but Duke will go 39-1 through next April!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    We'll take care of Virginia and St. Johns during the regular season, and the others if we play them in the tournament. No undefeated teams this year, but Duke will go 39-1 through next April!
    I'll allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    In case you missed it, one of Marquette’s guards scored 40 points in the second half—the video is worth watching. His shooting was reminiscent of one JJ Redick.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401083252