Jack White Quote

Fellow DBR-types:

I read an amazing quote from Jack White which was posted to Instagram. I tried like crazy to pull the old copy/cut/paste to no avail. Below, I have transcribed his quote:

“I’m just trying to do my bit, whether that’s hitting a three, getting a dunk, or rebounding. I’m just out here trying to win and have fun playing with my guys. We have such a fun team, we have such a great group of guys, and it’s a pleasure to play for Coach and with these guys and in front of the fans in Cameron - - a building with such history...I’m just very fortunate and thankful for the position I’m in, so I just try to make the most of it.”

Just Wow!
    Attached Images Attached Images

...as if we needed another reason to love Jack White!!!

Seriously though, thanks for posting!!!!

I was talking with my mother about this Duke team the other day (she's not a big sports fan), and she actually knew who Jack White is. That got me thinking: I wonder how high on the list Jack White is now for most recognizable Australian athletes in the world.

Probably way higher than he should be for his level of talent. There's probably good chance right now that he's more famous than other basketball players such as Matthew Dellevadova or Joe Ingles. Aron Baynes is probably more famous due to playing for the Celtics, but Jack might be nearing that level.

Both Zion and Duke are like super steroids for your visibility.
    Last edited by kAzE; 12-10-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I was talking with my mother about this Duke team the other day (she's not a big sports fan), and she actually knew who Jack White is. That got me thinking: I wonder how high on the list Jack White is now for most recognizable Australian athletes in the world.

Probably way higher than he should be for his level of talent. There's probably good chance right now that he's more famous than other basketball players such as Matthew Dellevadova or Joe Ingles. Aron Baynes is probably more famous due to playing for the Celtics, but Jack might be nearing that level.

Well... Assuming anyone else in the world is paying attention to our college basketball. I suspect the post popular/recognizable Australian athlete is some rugby player I am ignorant of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well... Assuming anyone else in the world is paying attention to our college basketball. I suspect the post popular/recognizable Australian athlete is some rugby player I am ignorant of.
    Yeah, I'm not saying he's anywhere close to the most famous, I was just wondering where he is on the list. But you're right . . . since people only really watch college sports in the US, I should probably have qualified it with "most famous Australian athletes in the United States"

Yet, despite college basketball not really being a thing outside of this country, Zion is still a worldwide phenomenon. But he was already that even before he came to Duke.

I wonder how high on the list Jack White is now for most recognizable Australian athletes in the world.

I am gonna guess White is comfortably less known than Dellavedova actually. A college backup role-player with less than two months’ worth of career relevance compared with a backup role player who played a major supporting role in multiple NBA playoff series and NBA Finals (the NBA is way more watched worldwide than any college game other than the national title game). And I am not even sure how well-known he is among college b-ball fans nationwide, whereas any remotely cognizant NBA fan over the past 5 years knows Delly.

White is also going to probably be fairly low on the list relative to star cricket players, and top-level golfers like Jason Day, and such. Not to mention NBAers like Ben Simmons, Patty Mills, etc.

That said, White is certainly doing himself proud.

Not that it is anything close to a perfect measure of "fame" but here are the twitter followers of several Aussie basketball players:

Ben Simmons - 734,000
    Patty Mills - 405,000
    Andrew Bogut - 374,000
    Matthew Delavadova - 188,000
    Joe Ingles - 136,000
    Dante Exum - 69.900
    Aron Baynes - 68,900
    Thon Maker - 49,800
    Jack White - 8,346

So, ummm, yeah... I think Jack ain't that well known yet.

-Jason "side note -- if the Aussies ever really got together and played like a team (Exum, Maker and Simmons skipped the 2016 Olympics), they'd clearly be one of the top few national teams in the world" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not that it is anything close to a perfect measure of "fame" but here are the twitter followers of several Aussie basketball players:

Ben Simmons - 734,000
    Patty Mills - 405,000
    Andrew Bogut - 374,000
    Joe Ingles - 136,000
    Dante Exum - 69.900
    Aron Baynes - 68,900
    Thon Maker - 49,800
    Jack White - 8,346

-Jason "side note -- if the Aussies ever really got together and played like a team (Exum, Maker and Simmons skipped the 2016 Olympics), they'd clearly be one of the top few national teams in the world" Evans
    Where's Kyrie on this list?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Ben Simmons - 734,000
    Patty Mills - 405,000
    Andrew Bogut - 374,000
    Joe Ingles - 136,000
    Dante Exum - 69.900
    Aron Baynes - 68,900
    Thon Maker - 49,800
    Jack White - 8,346

Kyrie was also born there so could be considered Aussie, though by having already played for the USA team I believe he is no longer eligible to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Kyrie was also born there so could be considered Aussie, though by having already played for the USA team I believe he is no longer eligible to switch.
    Well, with the Earth being flat and everything, . . .

you have to be careful with a lot of these quotes since they were translated from the original Australian...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    you have to be careful with a lot of these quotes since they were translated from the original Australian...
    You must spread some Comments around before commenting on budwom again.

I've talked up Jack White so much that my friend who watches Duke games with me just says "There's your guy again" every time Jack grabs another board or makes another hustle play.

I love this quote. Saw it this morning on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Well, with the Earth being flat and everything, . . .
    Whole new meaning to "down under"...

I am reminded of the discussion in New Zealand about ten years ago about the most highly paid Kiwi athlete. Several semi-serious commentators with a sense of humor thought it might be Steve Williams, who was then Tiger Woods' caddie.

The "reflected glory of Zion" covers the world!!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am reminded of the discussion in New Zealand about ten years ago about the most highly paid Kiwi athlete. Several semi-serious commentators with a sense of humor thought it might be Steve Williams, who was then Tiger Woods' caddie.

The "reflected glory of Zion" covers the world!!
    There were years when caddie Williams would have been one of the top ten PGA golfers in earnings....