View Poll Results: Who wins? Who will sit on the Throne at the end of the series

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jon Snow/Stark/Targaryen

    6 24.00%
  • Sansa Stark

    2 8.00%
  • Arya Stark

    0 0%
  • Daenerys Targaryen

    5 20.00%
  • Cersei Lannister

    0 0%
  • Jaime Lannister

    0 0%
  • Tyrian Lannister

    3 12.00%
  • Theon Greyjoy

    0 0%
  • Samwell Tarley

    1 4.00%
  • Bronn of the Blackwater

    0 0%
  • Gendry Baratheon

    1 4.00%
  • Lyanna Mormont (you know we all want to see this!!)

    0 0%
  • The Night King

    2 8.00%
  • Other (explain in post

    5 20.00%
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 814
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I don't think he will finish but I do hope it gets passed on to Brandon Sanderson. Very Wheel of Time was he. Robert Jordan had to be the nost detailed author ever, it took many people out of the series.
    Aside from the fact that - as I have mentioned repeatedly - GRRM has said he doesn't want anyone else to finish it, Sanderson has said that he wouldn't (and that's largely because he couldn't - their styles have almost nothing in common beyond (1) fantasy genre and (2) extensive world-building).

    Edit: Also contrast with the fact that Jordan had done extensive planning beforehand and had copious notes on how things would turn out and character/world details not in the books. GRRM doesn't know where things are going being a vague idea for a couple characters.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    A quick prediction: Our heroes are going to lose Winterfell.

    The show did not spend 7 seasons building up the White Walkers and the ultimate battle with the Army of the Dead only to kill them off in their first real skirmish. Many, many, many of our favorite characters are going to die at Winterfell (though we may see some of them again as reanimated fighters later on). It will be bad and the remnants of the Stark/Dothraki/Unsullied/etc army will retreat...

    ...to King's Landing. Jamie won't die because he will be the one who convinces the Lannister army/Kingsguard to let them into the city. This will set up the final battle where everyone finally does come together to defeat the undead (the good guys will likely have to kill Cirsei** to get it done).

    -Jason "**-Cleganebowl will take place just prior to Cirsei being offed by Jamie or Arya... because FAN SERVICE!!" Evans
    I think you are right... but I also think it is within the realm of possibility that the good guys win before the last episode, and the real last battle is Dany's forces vs everyone else.

    But, I think it's definitely true that a lot of characters are going to die. The main characters like Jon, Sansa, Dany, Cersei, Jamie, Sam and Arya are going to survive until near the end... if any of them die, it will be at the hands of each other. However, there are A LOT of fan favorites that are expendable to make us hate the White Walkers... Brienne, Davos, Gendry, Bronn, Tormund, Jorah, Gilly, Lyanna, Podrick, and lots of others are all totally fair game to be slaughtered in a zombie battle (or executed by Dany if they go the route of setting her up as more villainous).

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    I see this interview over the weekend as GRRM's way of saying to fans, "I ain't writing these books. The TV show will have to do."

    According to George R.R. Martin, the show's final episode will surprisingly give closure for both fans of the show and the books.

    "I don't think Dan and Dave's ending is going to be that different from my ending because of the conversations we did have," Martin said during a chat with Anderson Cooper for a special 60 Minutes spotlight on Game of Thrones.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya
    I just voted "other", for Tormund. It's a wildling world (cue Cat Stevens). Edited to share some Cat.


    Last edited by dudog84; 04-16-2019 at 04:40 PM.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Aside from the fact that - as I have mentioned repeatedly - GRRM has said he doesn't want anyone else to finish it, Sanderson has said that he wouldn't (and that's largely because he couldn't - their styles have almost nothing in common beyond (1) fantasy genre and (2) extensive world-building).

    Edit: Also contrast with the fact that Jordan had done extensive planning beforehand and had copious notes on how things would turn out and character/world details not in the books. GRRM doesn't know where things are going being a vague idea for a couple characters.
    Yes I'm already aware and I refuse to believe those writings will go unfinished, it just doesnt make sense. I just Sanderson because he is probably the most well trusted one to do it and he is great at handling multiple projects at once.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I think you are right... but I also think it is within the realm of possibility that the good guys win before the last episode, and the real last battle is Dany's forces vs everyone else.

    But, I think it's definitely true that a lot of characters are going to die. The main characters like Jon, Sansa, Dany, Cersei, Jamie, Sam and Arya are going to survive until near the end... if any of them die, it will be at the hands of each other. However, there are A LOT of fan favorites that are expendable to make us hate the White Walkers... Brienne, Davos, Gendry, Bronn, Tormund, Jorah, Gilly, Lyanna, Podrick, and lots of others are all totally fair game to be slaughtered in a zombie battle (or executed by Dany if they go the route of setting her up as more villainous).
    If you are wrong about Tormund and Lyanna, I would consider the rest acceptable losses.

    If Sam is writing the tale, he should survive.

    Of the other six you set aside (maybe you skipped Tyrion and Bran by accident), I expect all the Lannisters to be gone, and Night King Bran aside, perhaps only Sansa from the Stark family tree.

    Ugh, my stomach is turning writing this.
    Valor Margulis.

  7. #107
    Where will the levity come from in what should be a grim season?

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Where will the levity come from in what should be a grim season?
    We already had Tyrion's jokes to Varys. That might be it.

    Or, the dragons watching their mama get fresh with Nephew Jon.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I started reading Wheel of Time but gave up about halfway through. There were so many characters to keep up with that it was difficult to read as an audiobook, and at 5-700 pages each, was more than I had time and interest to invest in.

    Fair comparison?
    That was my experience with Wheel of Time, too. I think I made it 6 or 7 in and by the time the next installment came out, I'd moved on. Wheel of Time never had to compete with a show that has moved the story beyond the pages. I'm not sure what comparison is fair there. Pretty unique. In other ways, say respective swag, the comparison between George and Robert is very fair!

    AGOT03.jpg

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Summerville ,S.C.
    http://www.live5news.com/2019/04/16/...es-prediction/

    CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - A military historian who teaches at The Citadel was recently published in a Vice News article because of the ties he made between historical events and the HBO show “Game of Thrones.”

    Interesting .

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Jon is also the only person literally of ice (Starks) and fire (Targaryen).
    This is actually explicitly referenced in the books. "His is the song of ice and fire".

    Definitely part of why I voted Jon.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    This is actually explicitly referenced in the books. "His is the song of ice and fire".

    Definitely part of why I voted Jon.
    That quote by Rhaegar was about the other Aegon Targaryen (the one who was killed in the sack of King's Landing after Gregor Clegane dashed his head against a wall).

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    That quote by Rhaegar was about the other Aegon Targaryen (the one who was killed in the sack of King's Landing after Gregor Clegane dashed his head against a wall).
    ...but do you think that shared name and the possible conflation of their stories was an accident?

  14. #114
    One additional possibility is that Danerys's army does win the battle of Winterfell, but takes heavy losses and Cersei uses that as her opportunity to attack from the south and finish them off. This would set up the final battle as being between two armies of men rather than an army of the dead.
    "There can BE only one."

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That was my experience with Wheel of Time, too. I think I made it 6 or 7 in and by the time the next installment came out, I'd moved on. Wheel of Time never had to compete with a show that has moved the story beyond the pages. I'm not sure what comparison is fair there. Pretty unique. In other ways, say respective swag, the comparison between George and Robert is very fair!

    AGOT03.jpg
    That's such a shame too. Those middle books are mostly filler and side quests and are tough to slog through but the last 2 books are great and the ending with the final battle is some of my favorite writing.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    One additional possibility is that Danerys's army does win the battle of Winterfell, but takes heavy losses and Cersei uses that as her opportunity to attack from the south and finish them off. This would set up the final battle as being between two armies of men rather than an army of the dead.
    Well I would agree but we already had a vision didn't we of Kings Landing burnt and covered in snow? It's been awhile so maybe it was ash not snow.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  17. #117
    Other strategies to pick the GOT winner - follow the money.

    Current Bovada odds on various GoT events, including who will sit atop the throne at the end of Season 8. Jon leads, followed by Bran and Sansa. Dany is 4th, Gendry 5th, and Petyr Baelish 6th (hmmmm...). Jon and Dany baby (my dark horse pick) is 14th.

    Or, you could take a look at the per episode earnings of each actor. If I sat atop the throne at the end of the series and wasn't making top dollar, I'd fire my agent.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    That quote by Rhaegar was about the other Aegon Targaryen (the one who was killed in the sack of King's Landing after Gregor Clegane dashed his head against a wall).
    Oops. Man it's been a long time. Thanks for the correction!

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    If you are wrong about Tormund and Lyanna, I would consider the rest acceptable losses.

    If Sam is writing the tale, he should survive.

    Of the other six you set aside (maybe you skipped Tyrion and Bran by accident), I expect all the Lannisters to be gone, and Night King Bran aside, perhaps only Sansa from the Stark family tree.

    Ugh, my stomach is turning writing this.
    Valor Margulis.
    Yeah, Tyrion and Bran should count too.

    Mega-death pool contest for 2019: Dany, Sam, the 3 Lannisters, the 4 Starks, the 6 original Avengers, Thanos, Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo, Lando.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    For people who really like to geek out on GOT (which I assume is everyone here), Ask the Maester from the Ringer is a must read. The latest goes into the history of Winterfell, with some cool theories about its secrets. The whole thing is worth a read, but the key theory is:

    The Great Other is the name given to the Lord of Light’s polar opposite—the conglomerated forces of darkness and evil in the world. And, this notion holds, the Great Other is magically imprisoned beneath Winterfell because the castle was built where Winter literally fell. That’s why the castle is named as such, and that’s why the castle is situated with such odd geography. If Winterfell represents not just the Starks’ home but also the site where the Battle for the Dawn concluded to end the Long Night, many of these pieces would fall neatly into place.
    Is it Sunday yet?

Similar Threads

  1. Game of Thrones 2017 (no spoilers from leaks/theft!)
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 500
    Last Post: 09-07-2017, 03:47 AM
  2. Game of Thrones 2016 (No Book Spoilers)
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 592
    Last Post: 03-28-2017, 02:29 PM
  3. Game of Thrones 2014 - no book spoilers, please!
    By El_Diablo in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 06-20-2014, 04:28 PM
  4. Game of Thrones - The Books
    By Rich in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-20-2014, 06:31 AM
  5. Game of Thrones
    By darthur in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 06-13-2013, 06:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •