View Poll Results: Who wins? Who will sit on the Throne at the end of the series

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jon Snow/Stark/Targaryen

6 24.00%
  • Sansa Stark

2 8.00%
  • Arya Stark

0 0%
  • Daenerys Targaryen

5 20.00%
  • Cersei Lannister

0 0%
  • Jaime Lannister

0 0%
  • Tyrian Lannister

3 12.00%
  • Theon Greyjoy

0 0%
  • Samwell Tarley

1 4.00%
  • Bronn of the Blackwater

0 0%
  • Gendry Baratheon

1 4.00%
  • Lyanna Mormont (you know we all want to see this!!)

0 0%
  • The Night King

2 8.00%
  • Other (explain in post

5 20.00%
Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Some of you may not agree with this but I consider it a blessing that I don’t analyze shows and movies like most of you. I am so grateful that I can enjoy a wide variety of shows/movies without critiquing the living crap out of them. How do most of you even enjoy watching tv? I mean, you can tear apart just about anything you watch if you try hard enough.
    There’s plenty of times that I don’t do it either. It is really contextual.

If this were The Orville, or 24, or True Blood, or some other sort of guilty pleasure action show, I’d roll with it and laugh my grass off at the farcical elements.

In a show characterized by well-written characters, multi-year plot arcs, and intricate history, tossing all that aside in the last 5% of the show because the showrunners can’t be bothered is notable and vexing to me. YMMV.

I think the most raw and realistic critique is the show was awesome when it had George RR Martin source material from which to create a show.

After the books ran out, others’ imaginations were not up to the task.

GRRM doesn’t owe me (or anyone) anything but largely the descent into poor fantasy tropes lies with his inability to write ahead of the pace of the show.

It would be fascinating to get an honest view of what he thinks of the show post published novels.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Somewhere out in the multi-verse, there is a place where GOT fans are celebrating the brilliance of last night's episode because it went down like this...

Rhaegal does not die in the miraculous Euron boat shot... Dany and Jon and the dragons are nowhere near the fleet when it is attacked by Euron and Missandei is captured. Everything else is the same up to here:

-Jason "she still brings death from above, she still turns into a mad queen who kills thousands, but it is more earned and understandable" Evans
    Ugh. This part of that article is completely wrong and is why Deadspin offshoots should never be linked:

In his writing, George R. R. Martin has made clear that the only previous time in the history of this fictional world that a weapon that wasn’t a dragon itself has ever killed a dragon was when a Dornishman landed a million-to-one shot from a Big Crossbow straight through the eye of a dragon, one of the only places where it was not protected by scales as hard as steel. In fact no subsequent attempts to kill dragons with Big Crossbows ever yielded so much as a serious wound. So this would be both a good nod to the written text and a plausible way for Euron to kill a dragon.
    A dragon was killed by naval forces in the Battle of the Gullet (due to a harpoon/grapple). Multiple dragons were killed by human hands in the Dragonpit, including one with an axe.

I have no problem with the author's fanfic though.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Maybe she doesn’t hold the civilians of her enemy’s city in the same regard as she holds slaves. Maybe she figured they could have left the city if they didn’t stand with Cersei instead of hiding in her castle? I doubt dragons worry about sheep any more than lions do.
    While I wasn't sold on Dany's turn, I did wonder at the sudden regard for civilians. To your point, Tywin Lannister sacked the city just before Aerys' demise. Nobody seemed all that concerned with Stannis' state of mind when he tried to take KL. Cersei blew up half the place with wildfire. The Iron Islanders rape and reeve. It's what they did (until they promised Dany 'no more'.) I get the WMD parallel with the dragons but there hadn't been a whole lot of concern for the "people" up until now, except from Dany.

I really wonder if Kathleen Kennedy and Disney are thinking right now...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I really liked last night's episode. Was it a bit forced? Yes. But they didn't take the safe ending, which would have been for Dany and Jon to rule together, and for Dany to show mercy.

This series has had two consistent themes. First, that power corrupts. The quest of it. The desire for it. The attainment of it. All of it. As Tyrion said "It's a great story to stop the wheel. I've heard it before." That Dany wants to break the wheel only makes this more tragic. That was never going to be an option. Tyrion at some level knew that. Varys certainly did. And the cycle of violence is really the wheel. To quote Denzel Washington in Crimson Tide. The real enemy is war itself (yes, taken out of context). The second theme has been the undressing of the idea that the "living" are better than the "dead." We get the White Walkers, who are soulless and without mercy. They kill just to kill. And the living are better because they know the difference between right and wrong and can show mercy and restraint. And yet...in the end, the living are no better. In fact they are worse, because they know the difference and do it anyway.

Next week's episode can't be bad now, in my opinion. Either the Starks take down Dany (and I think it will be Arya) and Jon or Sansa or Tyrion (still my choice) take the Iron Throne **, or Dany prevails and it's meet the new boss, same as the old boss. And the perspective of the battle was great. They also - finally - had major characters die in a battle that would likely kill the major characters. By the way, when they were in the dungeon at the end, I thought that Ellaria was going to show up and kill Cersei. Alas.

Bring on next week!

** My prediction is that Jon Snow, Dany, Arya and Gray Worm all die next week. Arya killing Dany, Gray Worm killing Arya, Jon killing Gray Worm (and getting mortally wounded at the time). And with all the blood lines gone, Tyrion takes over the Iron Throne as the last living Lannister. He's been the moral compas for the common man from the very first season, and has been the only one (other than Jon) shown to be worthy of ruling. They only reason they wouldn't do this is to have the shock of him dying early in the episode. Guess we will see.

Looking forward to it, with no expectations...

(It's all cool!)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    I really liked last night's episode. Was it a bit forced? Yes. But they didn't take the safe ending, which would have been for Dany and Jon to rule together, and for Dany to show mercy.

This series has had two consistent themes. First, that power corrupts. The quest of it. The desire for it. The attainment of it. All of it. As Tyrion said "It's a great story to stop the wheel. I've heard it before." That Dany wants to break the wheel only makes this more tragic. That was never going to be an option. Tyrion at some level knew that. Varys certainly did. And the cycle of violence is really the wheel. To quote Denzel Washington in Crimson Tide. The real enemy is war itself (yes, taken out of context). The second theme has been the undressing of the idea that the "living" are better than the "dead." We get the White Walkers, who are soulless and without mercy. They kill just to kill. And the living are better because they know the difference between right and wrong and can show mercy and restraint. And yet...in the end, the living are no better. In fact they are worse, because they know the difference and do it anyway.

Next week's episode can't be bad now, in my opinion. Either the Starks take down Dany (and I think it will be Arya) and Jon or Sansa or Tyrion (still my choice) take the Iron Throne **, or Dany prevails and it's meet the new boss, same as the old boss. And the perspective of the battle was great. They also - finally - had major characters die in a battle that would likely kill the major characters. By the way, when they were in the dungeon at the end, I thought that Ellaria was going to show up and kill Cersei. Alas.

Bring on next week!

** My prediction is that Jon Snow, Dany, Arya and Gray Worm all die next week. Arya killing Dany, Gray Worm killing Arya, Jon killing Gray Worm (and getting mortally wounded at the time). And with all the blood lines gone, Tyrion takes over the Iron Throne as the last living Lannister. He's been the moral compas for the common man from the very first season, and has been the only one (other than Jon) shown to be worthy of ruling. They only reason they wouldn't do this is to have the shock of him dying early in the episode. Guess we will see.
    Wither Sansa?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post

Bring on next week!

I like your predictions, but does Drogon just sit by and watch Mommy die and do nothing? Maybe Arya kills Dany and Drogon kills Arya?

If they REALLY wanted to jump the shark, er dragon, Arya could kill Drogon and use his face to get to Dany!

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    No one is saying none of this happened.

But for every one of these, there’s a number of instances of her talking about Breaking the Wheel. And she freed slaves all over the place, even stalling her greatly desired trip to Westeros to do so.

The complaint is not that she had madness in her and it came from nowhere, the complaint is that they showed her going from completely coherent to raving lunatic in two episodes.
    I was highly critical of the first 4 episodes but I liked episode 5 and have no problem with Dany’s turn toward madness. There seemed to be ample narrative justification for her increased paranoia and feeling of near total isolation:

She lost Jorah, a trusted advisor and someone who repeatedly proved his love for her.

She lost Missandei, another trusted advisor, in a way that made her feel particularly powerless.

Varys, another advisor, had to be executed for treason.

She has justifiable questions about the quality of Tyrion’s advice, if not his loyalty.

She has become increasingly jealous of the way Jon is loved by his men.

Who’s left for her to trust other than Grey Worm? Taken together with the seeds sown in earlier seasons, this seems like more enough to explain how she snapped.

Edit: I also liked how Jon professed his loyalty to Dany but rebuffed her desire for love. It felt like the right event to push her over the brink.
    Last edited by mph; 05-13-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Just rewatched the last episode. If you can divorce yourself from the critique, the visuals are really amazing. Watching without the drama and tension, the episode plays out beautifully.

Should of added that my one major gripe with last night’s episode is with the continued uselessness of Bran. Would have been useful to have someone with the power to see that Dany would go mad. Or warg with Drogon. Or warg into a raven and figure out where Cersei is before the battle starts. Shoot, at this point I’d take a halfhearted inspirational speech. Miss Cleo would have made a more useful 3 eyed raven.

Conleth Hill offers his thoughts in something off an exit interview. Some comments reflected in this thread and some new ones that are worth a read.

I'm still wondering what theyre going to do with Bronn. Will he get his castle?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Conleth Hill offers his thoughts in something off an exit interview. Some comments reflected in this thread and some new ones that are worth a read.
    Great interview; thanks for passing it along.
    It’s interesting...in the early going, I thought Varys was creepy and I saw him as a villain. It wasn’t until pretty late in the game that I realized he was one of the most honorable people in Westeros. And all along, Conleth Hill played the character terrifically.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Should of added that my one major gripe with last night’s episode is with the continued uselessness of Bran. Would have been useful to have someone with the power to see that Dany would go mad. Or warg with Drogon. Or warg into a raven and figure out where Cersei is before the battle starts. Shoot, at this point I’d take a halfhearted inspirational speech. Miss Cleo would have made a more useful 3 eyed raven.
    I haven’t read the books so I’m not sure but the three eyed raven has always struck me as a third party that doesn’t interfere. Just a big walking history book. Has the three eyed raven ever been involved directly with war?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Maybe she doesn’t hold the civilians of her enemy’s city in the same regard as she holds slaves. Maybe she figured they could have left the city if they didn’t stand with Cersei instead of hiding in her castle? I doubt dragons worry about sheep any more than lions do.
    Also, remember Missandei’s last words, er, word... “Dracarys.”
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Just rewatched the last episode. If you can divorce yourself from the critique, the visuals are really amazing. Watching without the drama and tension, the episode plays out beautifully.
    Sounds like a review of a Luc Besson movie...

I'm glad I never liked or bought into the Daenerys character in the first place. (I would say my fave women on the show were Ygritte and Olenna, maybe some Arya as well.) *Were I* a fanboy/girl of "Dany", though, and were I invested in her becoming a benevolent ruler and being wrapped up in girl power, I would be extremely angry at the writers. The transformation at a minimum was rushed and overall probably just bad. For those Jorah-like devotees of Daenerys, I'm not sure how the writers could've messed it up worse. (Maybe on Sunday we'll find out it was just her time of month, and now she's back to normal.)

As someone who knows the show has become bad and is watching ironically at this point, I enjoyed how she didn't just go for Cersei in the Red Keep but started on the outskirts of the city and flew back and forth, back and forth, to thoroughly set ablaze as many civilians as possible. It was like she was operating a vacuum cleaner and didn't want to miss an inch of carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I'm glad I never liked or bought into the Daenerys character in the first place. (I would say my fave women on the show were Ygritte and Olenna, maybe some Arya as well.) *Were I* a fanboy/girl of "Dany", though, and were I invested in her becoming a benevolent ruler and being wrapped up in girl power, I would be extremely angry at the writers. The transformation at a minimum was rushed and overall probably just bad. For those Jorah-like devotees of Daenerys, I'm not sure how the writers could've messed it up worse. (Maybe on Sunday we'll find out it was just her time of month, and now she's back to normal.)
    There are people out there who named their children Khalisee and Danaerys over the past few years... sucks for them
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?