View Poll Results: Who wins? Who will sit on the Throne at the end of the series

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jon Snow/Stark/Targaryen

6 24.00%
  • Sansa Stark

2 8.00%
  • Arya Stark

0 0%
  • Daenerys Targaryen

5 20.00%
  • Cersei Lannister

0 0%
  • Jaime Lannister

0 0%
  • Tyrian Lannister

3 12.00%
  • Theon Greyjoy

0 0%
  • Samwell Tarley

1 4.00%
  • Bronn of the Blackwater

0 0%
  • Gendry Baratheon

1 4.00%
  • Lyanna Mormont (you know we all want to see this!!)

0 0%
  • The Night King

2 8.00%
  • Other (explain in post

5 20.00%
Page 36 of 44 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Since Benioff and Weiss are bad writers, we have to think like bad writers. Bad writers don't want anyone to be able to guess their ending correctly, so it might not be just one person sitting on the Iron Throne at the end. My take: after Jon reluctantly kills Daenerys, he rejects the Iron Throne. The remaining characters decide that "Kings and Queens aren't a good idea anyway," they destroy the Iron Throne, and Westeros will from now on be ruled by a small council, the first of which consists of Sam (who represents science), Bran (who represents history), and Gendry (who represents the common folk).
    I agree with your bad writer premise.
    To be fair, when they had good source materials, they were good adapters.

Your possible bad writer ending is more creativity than Benioff and Weiss have shown capability to muster. You also name three characters who I will be stunned to see get any screen time this Sunday. There will be barely enough time for Grey Worm or Drogon to kill Tyrion, Jon to kill Grey Worm, Dany to kill Jon, and Arya to kill Dany to put Sansa on the Iron Throne. 🤣

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    In fairness, I think Season 7 was almost as bad; it's just people didn't want to admit it yet.
    I thought I might have been been the person who was accused of spoiling Tywin Lannister’s death, so I checked that thread here to see if I owed an apology (turned out I didn’t, at least not for that).

It was kind of funny watching me go from a believer who followed every nuance looking for clues because the writers were just that good, to concerned about some things but basically satisfied, to “it happened because the writers needed it to happen” over the course of 7 episodes.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I also wonder if the general shoddiness of seasons 7 and 8 are a reflection of someone’s attempt to save money. The “writers” have made public comments about the expense of CGI. And it occurred to me that perhaps part of the reason for the reduced number of episodes in season 7 and 8 is so they don’t have to pay the actors as much. Cramming everything into fewer but generally longer episodes and shortcutting character development and storylines would certainly be one way to reduce expenses. Nah... on second thought, I think they just suck.
    Apparently HBO was willing to back up as big a truck of money as they needed to get this right, DnD were willing to spend lavishly but not add episodes or time. My understanding is they’ve delivered even less time than they initially promised at the end of season 7.

They’re really just checked out, IMHO.

I’m willing to give them a pass on the dire wolves. Apparently they’re an integral part of the books. They play key roles and require backstory and plotting, and the show has so much to do already. Like many elements of the adaptation, they were cut. I wish they’d just own this, rather than blame the CGI budget.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Up to nearly 700,000 now --- The petition offers a fun opportunity for discussion. If HBO came to you (yes, you) and said, we blew Seasons 7 and 8, we're going to do this thing again. What would you change? Any particular story elements or character decisions you'd like to see, not see? It's a given that most of us would like to see GRRM strapped into the Stephen King writing diet circa-Cujo to pump the final couple of books out...but other than that.
    Over 800K now. I wonder what B&W are thinking right about now? If they even care. I mean, has there ever been such a backlash to a series as it finishes?
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Over 800K now. I wonder what B&W are thinking right about now? If they even care. I mean, has there ever been such a backlash to a series as it finishes?
    I’m in the “yes I wish it were better done, and most of my complaints are nit picking.”

I’m still enjoying the show thoroughly. Like a lot of others, I wish there was more than one episode left.

We’re living in a funny time- this came up in a Star Wars thread also. Social media gives everyone a platform for their voice, with limited agency for change even if the perception is that the ability to influence change is greater. DBR isn’t really any different- it’s a fan echo chamber where both commonality and differences are amplified.

It’s kinda like Rob Dauster’s “article” on NBC Sports yesterday about Zion coming back to Duke. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Since Benioff and Weiss are bad writers, we have to think like bad writers. Bad writers don't want anyone to be able to guess their ending correctly, so it might not be just one person sitting on the Iron Throne at the end. My take: after Jon reluctantly kills Daenerys, he rejects the Iron Throne. The remaining characters decide that "Kings and Queens aren't a good idea anyway," they destroy the Iron Throne, and Westeros will from now on be ruled by a small council, the first of which consists of Sam (who represents science), Bran (who represents history), and Gendry (who represents the common folk).
    You have to aim even lower! That ending would still be too predictable; it was why I voted for "Other" in the poll (as in "N/A"), and I recall someone else here voicing a similar thought.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    You also name three characters who I will be stunned to see get any screen time this Sunday. There will be barely enough time for Grey Worm or Drogon to kill Tyrion, Jon to kill Grey Worm, Dany to kill Jon, and Arya to kill Dany to put Sansa on the Iron Throne. 🤣
    Is it a bad reflection of my expectations at this point that I can imagine all four of those things being sprinted through within the first 20 minutes and then having the final hour be nothing but Arya playing hide and seek in the Riverlands with Nymeria and Howland Reed? Only to find out that Bran was Nymeria all along? Then Drogon lays eggs and the scene cuts to black?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    You have to aim even lower! That ending would still be too predictable; it was why I voted for "Other" in the poll (as in "N/A"), and I recall someone else here voicing a similar thought.
    How about this...

The "Ned" who was executed for treason wasn't Ned, but his secret twin brother, Freddard. Ned was kidnapped on the way to King's landing to serve as Hand of the King and replaced with Fred. Ned was then shipped off to Essos and sold into slavery. The real Ned Stark was freed from slavery by Dany and has been hiding/fighting with her armies, waiting for the right time to reveal his true identity. After witnessing Dany's "maddening" he decides to kill Dany during her victory parade. Jon and Grey Worm then kill Dany's assassin. Once Ned's identity is revealed, Arya kills Jon and Grey Worm. In the ensuing chaos the Iron Bank shows up to repossess King's Landing due to Cersei's failure to pay the loan used for the Golden Company. The Iron Bank auctions off the Iron Throne and then turns King's Landing into a seaside resort.
    Last edited by LegoBatman; 05-17-2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Spelling/punctuation.

Scientific American with a deep (and long) take on this season of Game of Thrones.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...es/?redirect=1

A really interesting read that helped me organize my scattered thoughts about why this season is challenging to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Scientific American with a deep (and long) take on this season of Game of Thrones.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...es/?redirect=1

A really interesting read that helped me organize my scattered thoughts about why this season is challenging to watch.
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.

My free Wired articles are up this month.
    The lede is intriguing:

https://www.wired.com/story/calculat...mpression=true

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Great article. Thanks for sharing.
    Yes, thanks for sharing --- gives more of an academic explanation to the frustration many viewers have had with the dramatic change in storytelling style. The comparison to the The Wire caught my eye and helped underscore the author's argument.

I remember years ago the show guys said that GRRM gave them 3 specific plot points that really wowed them – the Hodor reveal, Stannis burning Shireen, and something that happens at the end of the last episode. The Hodor and Shireen scenes were some of the best of the show, so I'm optimistic about the finale despite some flaws in this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I remember years ago the show guys said that GRRM gave them 3 specific plot points that really wowed them – the Hodor reveal, Stannis burning Shireen, and something that happens at the end of the last episode. The Hodor and Shireen scenes were some of the best of the show, so I'm optimistic about the finale despite some flaws in this season.
    I’m sure we’re all hopeful. But the thing is, it’s not about the wow moments. It’s how you get to the wow moments. Seasons 1-6 built steadily to each wow moment. In season 7 and especially in season 8 they are just hurling wow moments at us with little to no real storytelling along the way.

Maybe tonight’s episode will be three hours long...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

So rumors are rampant that the ending has been leaked. I’ll just say that I hate the rumored ending. The rumor matches the current Vegas odds which makes me think it might be legit.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    So rumors are rampant that the ending has been leaked. I’ll just say that I hate the rumored ending. The rumor matches the current Vegas odds which makes me think it might be legit.
    And now I'll be exiting the thread and entering radio silence until after the finale.

Tootles.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I guess I should already have learned this by now... but I really should make a habit to just never participate in off-topic TV or movie threads anymore because of posts like this.

Sad its over, glad it happened.

More tomorrow.

Eight years of taking Sunday evenings off.smh.