Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    In 1997, when AOL instant messenger came out, I was intrigued by the work of George Rodrigue, a Louisiana-artist who painted Cajun scenes as well as started to establish a series of works that included a artistic depiction of a dog he once had and painted it always Blue.

The Blue Dog first rose to fame when Absolut Vodka selected him to do Absolut Louisiana in 1992 and that became one of the most popular ones of all 50 states. I selected "Bluedog" with numbers as my screen name at the time. His blue dog series continued to get more prominence with a spot in Canon ads among other things. He later established a Rodrigue Foundation for the Arts and had initiatives for Katrina relief, during which he had to relocate his studios from Lafayette himself.

Unfortunately, Rodigue was diagnosed with lung cancer and died in 2013.

A poster here a couple years ago PM'ed me asking if my name came from Rodrigue's blue dog as he was a personal family friend of his.

So, my name including "blue" has nothing to do with Duke and I'm not called "dog" or obsessed with them in any ways. Just something I was interested in during the late 90s (did have the Absolut Louisiana lithograph in my house) and has become a screen name I use.

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    Could you elaborate on this? What was the art museum? I associate "art museum" with the Nasher, which wouldn't fit. I know what the steam plant was. (Did it make anything other than steam? I always referred to it as the "steam plant" because that was what my dad called it at some point; students during my era didn't know what it was until it was renovated into a new space - I think an art studio, actually)
    I think it is known as the Friedl Building now, but was called something else when I was at Duke (forget what). Between Wilson and Aycock.

Went to Duke
    Lived in Kansas for 2 years in elementary school. After living 4 other places, the family returned to Kansas while I was at Duke. Opted to move back after graduation.

Avatar - Dorothy's shoes because there is no place like home.

I would like to be able to post something noble like I use my name due to a disdain for anonymity on message boards -- own what you say -- but the truth is I lack creativity.
    Bob Green

Just a nickname bestowed upon me by a friend about 25 years ago.

Also a nickname. Bestowed upon me by my good friend and golf instructor Rocky, who's a Md. grad and still calls me this today.

Fondness for both "hop forward" beers (think West Coast IPAs) and basketball players that can really get off the floor

I don't remember why I changed my name around 2000-2001 but if pressed probably because I forgot my password and had the account linked to an email address I'd also forgotten how to access. In those days the Clippers were Duke west with Parks, Maggette, Brand etc. (later Ewing)and I was out in Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    You have been wearing an aluminum watch band since 1983?

My username, the dorm I lived in for a couple years, is similarly straightforward. In retrospect, this might not have been such a wise choice, considering that this forum already had a "House G". So, apologies to House G for (unknowingly) stealing your idea.
    A very limited edition Swatch watch from back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    My given name is William, but I go by everything from Will to Bill to Billy
    Can we call you Mac or Buddy, cuz I just wanna have a little fun before I die.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    In 2007, there was a very short lived VH1 reality show called "The White Rapper Show" where MC Serch of 3rd Bass fame put 10 wanna-be rappers, who were all Caucasian, through their paces in the classic live together-do challenges-eliminate-one-per-week format. I love hip hop and have an extreme predilection for low brow reality show fare. This show was made for me. The contestants all had MC monikers, "Jus Rhyme", $hamrock, Dasit, etc. I pondered what my MC name would be. On one particular episode, as befits the formula, two of the MCs were beefing with each other over some BS back at the house. They were in each other's faces and it was getting extremely heated and one kept punctuating every statement/threat he made with, "Believe that!" For example,"Imma come for you when you aint lookin'! Believe that! Believe that!" But the way he was saying it made it sound drawn out in a street-influenced accent.

Believe that! Buhlee That. Buhlee Dat...thus was born...Billy Dat. The show was on in 2007, I joined in 2007.
    Thanks, Hodor

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    The Shoestring Play gave Duke a 14-7 lead in a 17-13 Blue Devil home football win over UNC in 1969.

QB Leo Hart bent over to tie his shoe after a run toward the Duke bench, which was designed to hopefully keep the Tar Heel coaches and players from alerting their team that we were playing a funny trick on them. It worked splendidly!

Players milled around waiting on Leo to take charge of the huddle, but were careful to mosey into a legal formation just long enough for flanker Marcel Courtillot to scoop the football to Wes Chesson.

The future broadcast mate of Bob Harris skeedaddled left to skirt the ignorant (yep, then too) Tar Heel huddle. By the time the Sheep realized what was unfolding, Mr. Chesson was way too close to the open end of the famous Wallace Wade horseshoe and paydirt for them to do anything but bleat in frustration.

Someone (can't remember who) revealed that they called the play "killer left" during the practicing of it, and I always liked that name better.
    Maybe it's Christmas, maybe it's the dying light, maybe it's the gin, but this brought a tear to my eye. Tom Harp gets a lot of grief on this board, but all sins are forgiven.

I was in grad school at Duke and working at an internet startup with BillyBreen in 2000 when he pointed out DBR to me. Since I was in graduate school and Duke's mascot is the blue devils, I came up with the immensely imaginative handle grad_devil.

You're impressed. Admit it.

Always love it when this thread pops up every couple of years.

I've been playing sports for a very long time. 14 is my jersey number, bet you didn't know it came from a guy they used to call Charlie Hustle.
    As for the elvis part, my real last name is Pressley.

I've used 'elvis14' on so many boards over the years (mr2.com, miata.net, nasioc, etc) that it's fun to Google it every now and then just to see where I've been.

(one exception, on IC I'm 'elvis9F')

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Tulane University grad. No Duke affiliation until moving to NC in 2005.

I'll wait for the 'How did you become a Duke fan' thread to tell that story, which IMHO, is a good one.
    I had hoped as a outside shot you may have been a summerville high grad.lol

My highschool mascot and duke mascot.plus the time I have been a fan of both.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    My name actually has nothing to do with where I'm from or where I live. I'm from Durham originally. I thought, sports talk, I'll reference my two favorite sports teams. I thought Bostondevil sounded better than DukeRedSox or DukeBoSox. I also thought BoSoxandBlueDevils was too long. So - Bostondevil. But you can call me BD.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My dad had season tickets ever since I was too young to remember, so I grew up going to games in Cameron (and coming home with splinters in my butt from Wallace Wade).
    I love this one. My dad got his PhD at Duke (economics) and we lived at Poplar Apartments on Lambeth Circle in the late 60's. (67-68 I think). I took swimming lessons at those apartments and so began my love of water and swimming off the outer banks. We picked dad up each Day at the chapel. We got an Irish Setter puppy we named Duke Reddevil who lived 17 great years. I use his middle name to pay hommage to my fur brother. We went to Cameron and I was afraid of the Blue Devil and the noise. I also got splinters on those awful wooden bleachers at Wade. Somehow I still grew up a sports fan.

An homage to a talented but troubled former Duke star and (at the time) Bulls backup and occasional starting PG.

Duke fan all my life. Didn't go there (Uncle Sam had other plans) and envy you that did. But I have been a fan since I was ten, and since they are the Blue Devils, and they win frequently, it's Devilwin..Simple enough.

Rasputin was one of our cats. He went to the Great Dairy Farm in the Sky many years ago.