Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Early in this thread I explained that my username, Camion, is a head butt to my feline monitor who helped me post for many years. I'm sure he would approve of me updating my username to give a nod to two of our outstanding freshmen Cam Reddish and Zion Williamson. So...

Henceforth my username will be "Camion."

I'm pretty happy with this update.

Hustleplays

What I most love about basketball.

Not that I don't love fast and purposeful passing [see: this year's team]; a cunning assist [see Tre, Zion et al]; a gorgeous trey [see: Cam!]; a mind-boggling, gravity and time defying drive to the basket [see: RJ, Zion, Tre, Cam et al]; a stunning, out of nowhere block [see: Zion, Marques & Javin]; intense ball pressure [see: Tre and his teammates] and two valiant team captains [see: Javin and Jack] corralling their brood to reset as one fist.

Yet, hustleplays set the tone. My favorite Duke example: Grayson lunging for the ball in the 2015 championship game.

I, like most DBR posters, have disliked the OAD era, because the exquisite excellence of highly skilled team basketball has been diminished by freshman who are outstanding athletes but who are still learning the rudiments of the game. This year's team is such a wondrous surprise: They are unselfish, they love to play tough D, they play it well, and they are tough. mirabile dictu!

Great thread!

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Early in this thread I explained that my username, Camion, is a head butt to my feline monitor who helped me post for many years. I'm sure he would approve of me updating my username to give a nod to two of our outstanding freshmen Cam Reddish and Zion Williamson. So...

Henceforth my username will be "Camion."

I'm pretty happy with this update.
    And here I've assumed all along you were a French truck driver! Zut! Tabernac!

It was sophomore year at Duke, and we needed a beer pong table. The problem - our tiny dorm room didn't have a lot of room for storing such an important piece of furniture. The solution - we built a table with double hinges for easy folding and storage!

After three years of using that table, the night before we packed up and left campus for the last time as students, we knew it needed a proper send off. We disassembled it, and buried the first hinge in the ground outside of our apartment. We knew the second hinge needed an on-campus resting spot, so in the wee hours of the morning, we headed over to West Campus. One of our crew was an athlete at Duke, and he wondered if his Duke Card would swipe him into Cameron... It did!

We wandered around the empty gym, soaking in the memories of four years of basketball games, and then we knew what to do with the hinge. We went up into the last row of seats, and our tallest friend reached up and placed the hinge on top of one of the support beams, hidden from sight. We all touched the hinge one last time, and resolved that anytime one of us revisited Cameron, we'd try to find the hinge and knock it a couple of times against its resting place. Thus, the Hingeknockers.

Post-script: A few of us were back on campus for our 10 year reunion recently. As fate would have it, reunion registration was in Cameron; the halls were busy but the gym was empty, giving us the perfect chance to look for the hinge. We went to the section where we thought it was hidden, reached up...and there it was. Still there, all those years later. I like knowing there's a little piece of us still in Cameron, looking down on all the future generations of players and Crazies alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    It was sophomore year at Duke, and we needed a beer pong table. The problem - our tiny dorm room didn't have a lot of room for storing such an important piece of furniture. The solution - we built a table with double hinges for easy folding and storage!

After three years of using that table, the night before we packed up and left campus for the last time as students, we knew it needed a proper send off. We disassembled it, and buried the first hinge in the ground outside of our apartment. We knew the second hinge needed an on-campus resting spot, so in the wee hours of the morning, we headed over to West Campus. One of our crew was an athlete at Duke, and he wondered if his Duke Card would swipe him into Cameron... It did!

We wandered around the empty gym, soaking in the memories of four years of basketball games, and then we knew what to do with the hinge. We went up into the last row of seats, and our tallest friend reached up and placed the hinge on top of one of the support beams, hidden from sight. We all touched the hinge one last time, and resolved that anytime one of us revisited Cameron, we'd try to find the hinge and knock it a couple of times against its resting place. Thus, the Hingeknockers.

Post-script: A few of us were back on campus for our 10 year reunion recently. As fate would have it, reunion registration was in Cameron; the halls were busy but the gym was empty, giving us the perfect chance to look for the hinge. We went to the section where we thought it was hidden, reached up...and there it was. Still there, all those years later. I like knowing there's a little piece of us still in Cameron, looking down on all the future generations of players and Crazies alike.
    That is a most excellent story!

MiStory

Last month marked the 50th anniversary of when my parents moved our family from Durham to Detroit due to extenuating circumstances.

I wanted to be like my dad and play BB for the Blue Devils, which I did in high school as our nickname was...the Blue Devils!

Jeff Mullins was (and still is) my all-time fave.

Having spent my formative years rooting for Duke has made me a fan for life and reading this Forum has strengthened the bond! Cheers to you all!!

D.B. Cooper

That beats the hell out of my stories of hiding stuff for years in various dorm ceilings.

Spectacular! Get's my vote for the best username story!

I didn't hide anything in Cameron, but in the heat of passion, after beating the UNCheats 47 to 40, I threw a bucket of chicken bones high in the air. That is why, to this day, you will on occasion find a chicken bone.

Bonus points to the reader who knows the game I reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Spectacular! Get's my vote for the best username story!

I didn't hide anything in Cameron, but in the heat of passion, after beating the UNCheats 47 to 40, I threw a bucket of chicken bones high in the air. That is why, to this day, you will on occasion find a chicken bone.

Bonus points to the reader who knows the game I reference.
    Could it have anything to do with "Chickie" Yonaker?

Clip from last seconds of 1979 Duke Senior Night: Duke 47 Unc 40

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Could it have anything to do with "Chickie" Yonaker?

Clip from last seconds of 1979 Duke Senior Night: Duke 47 Unc 40
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Awesome, thanks. Brings back many memories! Forgot about Steve Gray. Forgot GMan had that “toughness”.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Awesome, thanks. Brings back many memories! Forgot about Steve Gray. Forgot GMan had that “toughness”.
    I was a senior in HS at the time. I knew nothing about it, it was schooled the following year as a freshman. I’m sure DU82 was involved in my education.

It made the Big 4 tournament I went to that year even more meaningful!