Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ratamero View Post
    Real talk - I'm probably going to the last weekend of the Giro this year (31/05-01/06) with a few friends and if any DBR poster happens to make the trip they'd be more than welcome to join our troupe. We have a local Italian to guide us, a legit cyclingnews.com journalist and two enthusiastic amateurs (myself and one Dutch guy). Just drop me a private message and we can definitely make this work.

Re. Giro x Tour - I've been to countless Giro stages (anything from a prologue, time trial, flat/hill/mountain stages) and it's always a lot of fun. There's a sense of community with people relaying info back and forth, helping each other with food and shelter when necessary, in a way that I haven't seen in other races outside Italy. Granted, the only Tour stage I've watched was Champs-Elysées a couple of times, but it feels more like people are there for the event rather than for the sport.
    I've heard that you can get closer to the cyclists at the Giro or the Vuelta since the crowds are smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Mine is harder to pronounce. It's 12345.
    Something something idiot something luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Lurking under a bridge? 🤷I'm a real wanker for saying this.♂️
    It happened again .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Where's/"/"/" Wheat/"/"/"?

PS...this has nothing to do with above said "trolling" remarks, I'm not in the camp that he is one.
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Lurking under a bridge? ��I'm a real wanker for saying this.♂️
    I got my answer, and it was a great story. No bridges involved.
    Leaving it at that.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It's the password to all my financial accounts, so it's really easy to remember...
    thank goodness this is a Duke only board, so no one else has access to this info...oops, gotta go now, there's a nice Nigerian man calling me on line 1 with an important investment opportunity!

A few years back, long story short, I caught 80 fish. With one worm. In the desert.

I was fishing with Nate James.

Short version

Mostly obvious, but the N1, is a nod to &1 or and one.

The reason, many decades ago I abandoned geographical alliances
    in sports, when I got the bigger picture.

I've lived in areas where being a Duke fan made me the anti-christ.

So when I signed on to DBR I felt I was home among friends having defended
    Duke for years as a loner.

The longer version goes back to 60's Ohio State Basketball, seeing Duke in some final 4's eventually
    Bobby Knight at Indiana, and then Coach K. This is the very abbreviated version.
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Marty Clark

I was born and raised in Chicago, moved to Denver in 1982.

I loved those Duke championship teams with Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley and Marty Clark.

I represented the old Durham Life Insurance Company when they got sued in Colorado. Parenthetically, they got sued a lot. My frequent trips to the Triangle hooked me on ACC basketball. I previously thought I could like UNC and Duke. I was wrong.

I appreciated the real Mary Clark for his skills and the fact that he started his H.S. career at Mullen H.S. in Denver and finished at St. Joe's ( Isaiah Thomas' high school). I identified with him.

Real Marty, feel free to claim your name on DBR.

Go Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I was born and raised in Chicago, moved to Denver in 1982.

I loved those Duke championship teams with Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley and Marty Clark.

I represented the old Durham Life Insurance Company when they got sued in Colorado. Parenthetically, they got sued a lot. My frequent trips to the Triangle hooked me on ACC basketball. I previously thought I could like UNC and Duke. I was wrong.

I appreciated the real Mary Clark for his skills and the fact that he started his H.S. career at Mullen H.S. in Denver and finished at St. Joe's ( Isaiah Thomas' high school). I identified with him.

Real Marty, feel free to claim your name on DBR.

Go Duke.
    I think Marty tried to claim his name, but it wasn’t available. 😀
    Last edited by NSDukeFan; 12-16-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Smiley face

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I think Marty tried to claim his name, but it wasn’t available. 😀
    But he did sign up, and now we know his financial accounts password.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I've been a Duke basketball fan for many, many years. My name is in honor of a great breed of dog and 98 was the year my Dal Toby earned his last obedience title. After my last dog went on to his great reward, I decided I wouldn't get any more. The dogs used to love watching Duke basketball with us. Either my wife or I would do an obnoxious Vitale (but I repeat myself) imitation, "The Dukies! " and they'd go crazy. Now we watch Duke basketball with a couple of cats. It ain't the same. By the way, my wife is a Mizzou grad who by 1990 had become a Duke fan, too.

Some further disclosure: I was accepted at Duke in 1968, but ended up going to SUNY Binhamton instead. Long story. Mistakes were made. We'll not speak of it further.

Binghamton was then a D III school and in those days, you could have fired a cannon into the bleachers during a home game and not hit anyone. Fast forward several decades and not ten years after moving up to D I, in 2009 the school, by then known as Binghamton University, won the America East and so played Duke in round 1 of the NCAA Tourney.

As we all know, Duke prevailed and yes, I rooted for Duke. A few short months later, the Binghamton U men's b'ball program blew up. The fallout was extensive and if you care to read about how NOT to build a program, Google "Binghamton University basketball scandal". The Wikipedia entry will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by westwall View Post
    BullBlue was first to correctly identify the 'ski area' as Arapahoe Basin in Colorado and the 'geographical feature' as that area's "East Wall", and as a result has won a (seated) ticket to the Clemson game on Saturday Jan.5.
    And BullBlue is very excited about this! Thanks westwall! I have been to a handful of early season games in Cameron, but never to an ACC game.

As for my name meaning - I was involved in Scouting with my sons (both Eagle Scouts) several years ago. We did a couple of 100 mile backpacking trips in the Rockies of NM. A bull is the symbol for the area where we were backpacking, and I used Bull as the first part of a trail nickname. The second part of my nickname at the time was the name of a mountain in the area, that also describes my hairstyle.

When I joined this forum, I changed the second part of my name to Blue for Blue Devils of course.

I didn't start posting here until 2015, so part of my username pays homage to Justise Winslow. His stellar play and determination were an inspiration.

Also I work in law, so it's a play on Truth and Justice.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I went to 'Reggae Jam' on the quad in 1992 and woke up on a couch in a room that I had never been in before. I have been lost ever since.

“Have fun expect to win” is probably the worst slogan you could come up with for a college football program, which is why Vanderbilt used it one season in the late 90s.

The meaning of my username is self evident.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    The meaning of my username is self evident.
    Not really. I've heard some people with two Duke degrees called "double Duke" -- so, you could have two Duke degrees, and also be a dad. Or, perhaps more likely, Duke fooled you twice into paying tuition? But was that for one kid (w/ two degrees) or two kids ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Not really. I've heard some people with two Duke degrees called "double Duke" -- so, you could have two Duke degrees, and also be a dad. Or, perhaps more likely, Duke fooled you twice into paying tuition? But was that for one kid (w/ two degrees) or two kids ...
    I guess it was not as self-evident as I thought. Two of my sons went to Duke, and they overlapped by 1 very expensive year. My third son went to that NJ school we will be playing tomorrow. Yes I will be rooting for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    I went to 'Reggae Jam' on the quad in 1992 and woke up on a couch in a room that I had never been in before. I have been lost ever since.
    This may be the best story so far in this thread.

Did Urinal Cake explain his name?

I've been wondering for years if he was some sort of plumber. Or a Bar Supplies Salesman? Or just likes the fragrance?