Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    After my AIM name from high school and college grew a bit dated, I settled on this rather callous Catch-22 reference, having recently re-read the book.

Of course, that was several years before a certain Edward with the same last name as Yossarian's radio-gunner made headlines. I probably should have changed at this point since most people might assume Edward is the reference, but I guess I'm lazy and stubborn.
    A text without a context is a pretext.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I also got splinters on those awful wooden bleachers at Wade. Somehow I still grew up a sports fan.
    'Zactly!

"Hey kid, remember how we went to the doctor and he stuck needles in you? Wanna go back?"
    "Nooooooooo!" with lots of crying.

"Hey kid, remember how we went to the games last year and you got a splinter almost every time? Wanna go back?"
    "Hell yeah, Up The Middle, McGhee!!"
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm really into anthropomorphized sports equipment.

In the old days, when I was a student, a sysadmin gave me the username jac1 (my initials and a number), while setting up my first ever unix account. The username stuck with me over the years, as the www came to exist, and I lengthened it to jacone. When I created my DBR account, I really wanted the username "James" but it was maybe the first ever DBR username and was taken by Mr. Armstrong. So I went with jacone and added my high school jersey number, which was also the jersey number of my favorite player at the time, Trajan Langdon. I can't believe that's been over 20 years.

I'm boring. It's my initials.

Now everyone can try to guess my name

In the late 90's/early 2,000's, my friends and I played a lot of Fight Night(formally known as Knockout Kings) on Playstation and Xbox. I had two boxers that I always used when I played against my friends and I rarely lost. Oba "The Motor City" Carr, and Jeff "Left Hook" Lacey. I was so good at the game that my friends starting calling me "left hook" even when we weren't playing the game. Given the time period, I found myself creating a lot of emails and usernames for things, so "left_hook_lacey" or some variation of it became my go to username.

The name resurfaced a few years later when we started playing a lot of poker. I was known for being a really slow/tight player that would tend to set up to win big pots with a sure thing rather than betting my way to a win. If I ever called or re-raised, they would say, "here comes the left hook."

The Noob Thing...

It can be rough on an established forum when you are a noob...and I was clearly a noob on DBR (and still am compared to many). I was willing to put up with all the noob grief that comes with being new to a forum - but I wanted people to know that while I was new to DBR, I was NOT new to being a Duke fan. I welcome all the bandwagon fans who have jumped aboard the K train over the last several decades...but some of us (starting at a very young age) were suffering Duke fans before K.

DUMB drum major during my time at Duke.
    devildm
    Duke '03

Well, I'm a computer scientist and I've got logins on a large number of sites, so I just use my name for that reason. But I have been tempted to change it to "HeWasRightThere". My first (of 100) Grateful Dead shows was Duke in 1978 when I was a freshman. To this day, every time I walk into Cameron I look down to where the stage was and think to myself "He was right there". He, of course, being Jerry Garcia.

I share a middle name with a pair of immortal Scotsmen - Duncan and Connor.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I share a middle name with a pair of immortal Scotsmen - Duncan and Connor.
    There can be only one.

I spent untold hours at Duke watching, and rewatching the Highlander. I had high hopes for this explanation for your username.

Much like the Matrix, there is only one Highlander movie. Please don’t try to convince me otherwise 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    There can be only one.

I spent untold hours at Duke watching, and rewatching the Highlander. I had high hopes for this explanation for your username.

Much like the Matrix, there is only one Highlander movie. Please don’t try to convince me otherwise 🙄
    I actually enjoyed the TV series while it lasted. I never watched any of the sequels, and I consider myself lucky in that regard.

Also of interest, my wife so despised the name Connor that she blackballed it's use for any male children if they were to share my middle name. So we went with Cooper instead.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    I'm boring. It's my initials.

Now everyone can try to guess my name
    By any chance, did you ever happen to be in St. Petersburg when you saw it was time for a change?

back when i first discovered I could bypass the parental controls on the AOL browser by simply opening internet explorer, I started reading the letsrun.com "world famous" message board. I realized I was an annoying little jerk who liked to be argumentative, and decided to embrace it and go by "uh_no."

Nothing had changed when I joined DBR in whatever year (likely for the express purpose of arguing with someone who I thought was wrong), so I figured why mess with what works!! (I forget what my exact first post was, but I know I got an infraction pretty quickly! I remember THAT post.)

I'd like to think i'm MILDLY more sane of a person these days, but I guess enough scotch can mellow anyone out

Just happy to be part of this community of great duke fans, and just people in general.
    April 1

Hi ! My real name is Bill Walton, and I spent way too much time at the Grateful Dead concerts !

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Hi ! My real name is Bill Walton, and I spent way too much time at the Grateful Dead concerts !
    but dude, your way of ranking teams is the BEST
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    I doubt it was the music. 😂

Shortened from “Arnie Is Still King” after the King’s passing a few years ago. From golfing annals “I can beat that fat kid any day of the week” or something close to that.

What a great thread. Mine is pretty straight forward though. Yep, not very creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    In 2007, there was a very short lived VH1 reality show called "The White Rapper Show" where MC Serch of 3rd Bass fame put 10 wanna-be rappers, who were all Caucasian, through their paces in the classic live together-do challenges-eliminate-one-per-week format. I love hip hop and have an extreme predilection for low brow reality show fare. This show was made for me. The contestants all had MC monikers, "Jus Rhyme", $hamrock, Dasit, etc. I pondered what my MC name would be. On one particular episode, as befits the formula, two of the MCs were beefing with each other over some BS back at the house. They were in each other's faces and it was getting extremely heated and one kept punctuating every statement/threat he made with, "Believe that!" For example,"Imma come for you when you aint lookin'! Believe that! Believe that!" But the way he was saying it made it sound drawn out in a street-influenced accent.

Believe that! Buhlee That. Buhlee Dat...thus was born...Billy Dat. The show was on in 2007, I joined in 2007.
    WINNER

For me, the best city a Fuqua grad can live in!