Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sam's closing

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Would be interesting and a lot of fun to do a DBR meetup at Sam’s before 12/31.
    I'm available.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    When I was at Duke, Coors was an import .
    I’ve got a warehouse full in Texarkana, if you’ve got a rig and a penchant for dares.

When I was at Duke, Coors was an import .
    Although I had moved from Denver shortly before I arrived at Duke, I would return there over the next few summers --visiting friends and relatives. I was there in 1962 when my parents told me I had to take the Greyhound (maybe Snailways) back to Duke. Money, not time, was the issue. So. after stuffing my suitcase in the cargo bin, I boarded the Big Dog with a case of Coors Banquet bottles under my arm. Night and day, through many coach changes, I held that carton close to me, rarely taking my eyes off it. It arrived on campus, safe and sound. Its contents went into my illegal dorm refrigerator and were gone by the following day. My upper arm ached longer than the bottles lasted in the fridge. Coors was an import fer sure.

buying Coors on the east coast

Coors was widely available in military commissaries long before it was sold to the general public. Consequently, I kept a large cooler in my trunk. Always filled it before leaving Norfolk on the way to visit friends and family in NC.

Was not really sure whether they were happier to see me or the "banquet of beers" that I bestowed.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’ve got a warehouse full in Texarkana, if you’ve got a rig and a penchant for dares.
    R.I.P. Bandit

I went up there a few weeks ago to Durham. My family use to have a sizable farm off of cornwallis rd (well sizable to me ).it has grown so much up there .it had been a few decades since my grandparents passed.what used to be country is no more .it shouldnt have surprised me.but I have to admit it was absolutely crushing to see.
    You guys/gals better go to Sam's while you can you may regret it later.
    Speaking of that i need to take a drive to speedys bbq on 52.

I'm available.
    Just to follow up with a possible target date.
    Anyone up for 12/18 (Tuesday) at 5:30?

Rarely finished with clinic/work/messages by then on Tuesdays, let alone trying to get to Durham in less than an hour on a week night during construction on NC 147 or US 70.

Game time is 6:00. 5:30 won’t work. And we’re stopping at the Duck Shop to return a mismarked T-shirt before going to the game.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Shame on me for not checking the schedule 😳

Monday, 12/17 at 7pm?

Monday, 12/17 at 7pm?
    That'd work for me. Maybe complete sets of GBS can be transferred then and a few brews from Ohio. I'll help you empty your fridge if you help me empty mine .

Monday, 12/17 at 7pm?
    That'd work for me. Maybe complete sets of GBS can be transferred then and a few brews from Ohio. I'll help you empty your fridge if you help me empty mine .
    Anyone else in on this tomorrow night? I believe we have JStuart enrolled now.

Shame that the rumor of selling to a developer was true after all -- some kind of typical multi-floor retail/office/condo destiny. Guess in the end the offer was too sweet. There's talk of a light-rail stop (revisit in the 2100s) but used to be the last exit of the Durham Freeway. FYI they started a 15% sale on beer (4 - and 6-packs) last week. Leftovers will probably move to the bottle shop out by Jordan High. The taps are still flowing and there was a pot luck with free beer last night. Sam's will be missed: several generations of Dukies passed through those doors...

Sam Boy fought the good fight. I remember his battle with the State over the value of the land they took to widen Erwin Road. It is a long road from the Blue Light and car hops to this closing.

The shelves aren’t quite bare, will be soon.

Cheers to devildeac and JStuart for a round of drinks and reminiscing about Sam’s.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    Shame that the rumor of selling to a developer was true after all -- some kind of typical multi-floor retail/office/condo destiny. Guess in the end the offer was too sweet. There's talk of a light-rail stop (revisit in the 2100s) but used to be the last exit of the Durham Freeway. FYI they started a 15% sale on beer (4 - and 6-packs) last week. Leftovers will probably move to the bottle shop out by Jordan High. The taps are still flowing and there was a pot luck with free beer last night. Sam's will be missed: several generations of Dukies passed through those doors...
    Had a meet-up with fuse and JStuart there tonight. Draft beers were inexpensive, 4 packs and 6ers were 25% off and singles, small and large were 35% off. If I didn't have too much beer already, I'd have left with a large quantity of some real quality ales. Company was outstanding, as usual.

Had a meet-up with fuse and JStuart there tonight. Draft beers were inexpensive, 4 packs and 6ers were 25% off and singles, small and large were 35% off. If I didn't have too much beer already, I'd have left with a large quantity of some real quality ales. Company was outstanding, as usual.
    We drove past Sam’s Tuesday night on the way to the game. Remember well getting kegs there for our fraternity’s in house tap! It never ran dry
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

https://untappd.com/v/sams-quik-shop/19768

Sam's Quik Shop draft list updated tonight.

Might be worth another trip there this weekend...

New Year's Eve party at 10pm. Last call 12:30am, doors close for good 1am.

mkhammertime