Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sam's closing

Sam's closing

Will probably be moved to off-topic, but Sam's Quik Shop is closing at the end of the year.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Will probably be moved to off-topic, but Sam's Quik Shop is closing at the end of the year.
    Will probably be simply moved to the correct topic. (Bummer about Sam's)

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...uke-v-Kentucky
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Will probably be simply moved to the correct topic. (Bummer about Sam's)

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...uke-v-Kentucky
    We really should have a separate topic for this one - I'd especially like to hear some stuff from the old timers about back when it was Blue Light.

In any event, I really loved Sam's. I am going to try to fit in a drive down to Durham before the end of the year so that I can make a last purchase.

And with it my dream of buying it and becoming the wise old lady behind the register selling ponys and checking IDs.

Never could find the exact crusty fun hat to wear while glowering at the underage drinkers though...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

It’s for posterity, so be honest.

I have lots of memories of Sam’s, and some of this may get cross posted in Ymmm, Beer.

Pretty sure my first Chimay (Red, White, and Blue) as well as Duvel and Orval were purchased at Sam’s. I can’t quite explain how Sam’s had these beers well before Pop the Cap, but they did.

It's been a while since I've been in Durham, and trying to get my bearings, but was this the 7-11 type store that sold guns and beer. We called it the Stop and Pop.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    And with it my dream of buying it and becoming the wise old lady behind the register selling ponys and checking IDs ...
    It's good to have dreams -- sorry this one went by the wayside. Maybe you could be an unlucky horseplayer's disapproving, leathery-sunburned partner?

Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    We really should have a separate topic for this one - I'd especially like to hear some stuff from the old timers about back when it was Blue Light.

In any event, I really loved Sam's. I am going to try to fit in a drive down to Durham before the end of the year so that I can make a last purchase.
    What's wrong with Ymm, Beer?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I have lots of memories of Sam’s, and some of this may get cross posted in Ymmm, Beer.

Pretty sure my first Chimay (Red, White, and Blue) as well as Duvel and Orval were purchased at Sam’s. I can’t quite explain how Sam’s had these beers well before Pop the Cap, but they did.
    Orval, yes (IIRC), but the others are all >6% ABV, IIRC.

All of my early Chimays and Duvel were "imported" by a friend who used to travel to Belgium quarterly before 9/11 and would routinely return to the US with 10-20 "carry-ons" of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    It's been a while since I've been in Durham, and trying to get my bearings, but was this the 7-11 type store that sold guns and beer. We called it the Stop and Pop.
    Screenshot_2018-12-07 sam's quik shop durham - Google Search.jpg

Screenshot_2018-12-07 sam's quik shop durham - Google Search(1).jpg
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Geez, I don't remember guns.

But I'd like that BlueLight sign for my husband's garage...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    It's good to have dreams -- sorry this one went by the wayside. Maybe you could be an unlucky horseplayer's disapproving, leathery-sunburned partner?
    Sweet, yes! Fringed vest and those little round sunglasses.

If I recall correctly, this place used to have large, mysterious jars of picked something-or-other (pigs feet?) sitting on the checkout counter. Based on this photo, it seems that this is no longer the case* and the place, like much of Durham, has gone somewhat upscale compared to what I remember.

I also suspect that they no longer rent VHS tapes!

*It you zoom in on the linked picture, it does appear that they are selling "Smokehouse Homemade Pork Skins", so I guess that counts for something.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    If I recall correctly, this place used to have large, mysterious jars of picked something-or-other (pigs feet?) sitting on the checkout counter. Based on this photo, it seems that this is no longer the case* and the place, like much of Durham, has gone somewhat upscale compared to what I remember.

I also suspect that they no longer rent VHS tapes!

*It you zoom in on the linked picture, it does appear that they are selling "Smokehouse Homemade Pork Skins", so I guess that counts for something.
    Definitely brighter than I remember. I think they added lighting since I was there in the '80's.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Definitely brighter than I remember. I think they added lighting since I was there in the '80's.
    They completed a major renovation - adding a full bar, as well as lots of additional space - only two or three years ago.

In the 6 or so years before that, they phased out nearly all of their typical convenience store items (snacks and the like) in order to stock more varied and higher quality beer.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Orval, yes (IIRC), but the others are all >6% ABV, IIRC.

All of my early Chimays and Duvel were "imported" by a friend who used to travel to Belgium quarterly before 9/11 and would routinely return to the US with 10-20 "carry-ons" of the above.
    Pretty sure Pop the Cap was 2005. I was buying all those Belgian beers at Sam’s well before 1999.
    Inexplicable, I know.

When I lived on major th Campus (Hanes), an “import” beer at Sam’s was Lone Star.

Would be interesting and a lot of fun to do a DBR meetup at Sam’s before 12/31.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    When I lived on major th Campus (Hanes), an “import” beer at Sam’s was Lone Star.
    When I was at Duke, Coors was an import .