Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 84, Hartford 54 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Defense —> offense

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Defense —> offense
    Totally agree...good thing this was Hartford.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dukie View Post
    But we yielded only 24 points at the half and only 30 in the second half?

What am I missing here? I thought the defense looked pretty darn good. Good enough for Kenpom #7 in defense.

Edit: Thanks, Tripping William. Perhaps I misread sarcasm for sincerity. If so, that's on me for not reading context clues correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    Color me confused about the "Our defense is a big problem" posts in the pre-game/in-game thread.

As I said in that thread, I don't see the correlation between this game and that particular concern, but I readily admit that I'm not an expert on defense and others might be able to show me some statistics or in-game tendencies that are a bad sign for this year's squad.
    Old Dukie’s post history is short, and almost universally negative. Check for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Old Dukie’s post history is short, and almost universally negative. Check for yourself and draw your own conclusions.
    Well, that makes more sense. Otherwise I was going to be double-checking my prescription medication.

Defense was great, and the offense was fine too. Considering we shot 5-26 from 3 including 1-9 for Reddish, many of which were wide open. Had we hit our normal 36% we'd have hit between 9 to 10 out of 26. We got the looks we wanted, just was a tough night shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Defense was great, and the offense was fine too. Considering we shot 5-26 from 3 including 1-9 for Reddish, many of which were wide open. Had we hit our normal 36% we'd have hit between 9 to 10 out of 26. We got the looks we wanted, just was a tough night shooting.
    What is Reddish's shooting % on the year?

What is Reddish's shooting % on the year?
    He came into the game shooting 43% from 3. Obviously after a 1-9 game he's shooting less than that now on the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    He came into the game shooting 43% from 3. Obviously after a 1-9 game he's shooting less than that now on the season.
    What about overall %? Anyone know?

I had to listen to a good chunk of the game but the parts I saw looked like a team locked in on D.
    Especially Tre, I don’t recall even Tyus getting that kind of on the ball preasure. But I thought that was a good traight. Freshman teams often let a poor shooting night impact their defense. Not tonight.

I’d like the staff to help Cam find a more consistent option B other than just shoot 3. I don’t mind him taking open shots even if he’s off, but it seems that when he drives to score, he looses the ball a lot. A good ball fake could open up the D for some more options, especially for him at the rim, if he’d finish. He’s got a crazy high ceiling but it seems that he has the most work to do of the four freshman trying to find his fit. Not a criticism, I’m just foaming at the mouth hoping to see more of what I think he can be.

What about overall %? Anyone know?
    After tonight, 40% overall and 39% from 3. With 3s making up over 60% of his attempts. TS% close to 60% and eFG% ~55%. So, just fine. Room for improvement sure. But just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    After tonight, 40% overall and 39% from 3. With 3s making up over 60% of his attempts. TS% close to 60% and eFG% ~55%. So, just fine. Room for improvement sure. But just fine.
    THX...yes, room for improvement. I'll bet FT % is lacking as well.

THX...yes, room for improvement. I'll bet FT % is lacking as well.
    Nope, 79% from the FT line. Best on the team among guys who actually get to the line. Of the things to question about Reddish, shooting is probably last on the list. He is a terrific shooter.

And his shooting in other areas isn’t “lacking” at all.

Nope, 79% from the FT line. Best on the team among guys who actually get to the line. Of the things to question about Reddish, shooting is probably last on the list. He is a terrific shooter.

Come on. Don’t let stats get in the way of a perfectly good ill-informed narrative.

He must be a REALLY Old Dukie that doesn't know how the Google machine works. He's probably killer with microfiche research.

Sorry, 79% FT is nothing to write home about. "Best on team" isn't saying much
    when rest of team is sub par.

Sorry, 79% FT is nothing to write home about. "Best on team" isn't saying much
    when rest of team is sub par.
    L.O.L.

Anyway, aside from one poster’s ridiculous hot-takes, I thought we played pretty well. We held them to 54 points on ~75 possessions. Offensively, we took good shots that just didn’t go in a lot. Two missed dunks by Zion is flukiest, as is the number of missed open 3s. With those two dunks and a 33% percentage on 3s, we are pushing 100 points in 75 possessions. Given exam time, I am not at all concerned with this one.

Loved seeing DeLaurier have a big game. Hopefully he can build off that. If he does and the freshmen stay healthy, we are going to be awfully hard to beat. This has the makings of a supremely fun season.

Hartford, a senior laden team, provided another blueprint for giving Duke a tough game. Slow it down, pack the defense in and play zone. Until Duke shows it can hit 3's this is probably the most effective game plan against us. Our 3 point shooting on mostly wide open shots was terrible tonight, perhaps because of prepping for exams. Cam Reddish certainly didn't play like a top NBA propect and AOC was missing his 3's by a lot.

Yale will be much more difficult on Saturday. Maybe our guys need to practice their 3 point shooting.