Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Echoing the thoughts above of all those saying it's primarily a health issue.

I like a conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but if there's a scandal causing a PR storm, you either fire the guy immediately or keep him on indefinitely.

Too bad for Meyer he's not healthy enough to keep at it. Seems like the only guy out there aside from Dabo who can even hope to contend with Saban at Bama.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Ahem yourself:

https://dailycaller.com/2018/10/31/o...mments-health/

Public knowledge.

Edit: Thanks to Mike Corey for beating me to this about 30 minutes ago. I'm soooooo slow/tardy on DBR sometimes .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ahem yourself:

https://dailycaller.com/2018/10/31/o...mments-health/

Public knowledge.

Edit: Thanks to Mike Corey for beating me to this about 30 minutes ago. I'm soooooo slow/tardy on DBR sometimes .
    No kidding....that "ahem" was quite amusing. If I'm not mistaken, HIPPA only applies to medical professionals....I don't think it applies to average people - especially concerning public knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There will be coaching dominoes from tOSU filling a huge coaching opening, though not the same kind of ripples as when Carolina grabbed Mack Brown and utterly shook the foundations of college football. Bwahahahaha!
    I think Mack Brown might do a good job at UNC for 5-7 years. If he does, it will be considered as a pretty good hire. I wouldn’t laugh just yet.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Urban Meyer is retiring. A piece of me thinks this was a secret negotiated thing from the scandal earlier this year. He was forced to retire but got to go out on his own terms, so to speak, by coaching out this season.

There will be coaching dominoes from tOSU filling a huge coaching opening, though not the same kind of ripples as when Carolina grabbed Mack Brown and utterly shook the foundations of college football. Bwahahahaha!

-Jason "I'll fold this into the generic coaching change thread in a bit, but this is pretty big news so it can stand on its own for a little bit" Evans
    As a Michigan fan I second this conspiracy theory, haha, and I can tell you a lot of B1G folks have speculated something along these lines throughout the season as well. It wouldn't surprise me if there has been a concerted attempt to play up the health issues as the primary reason for his departure to distract from Zach Smith, but that's going one more level down the conspiracy rabbit hole.

As a Wolverine this is good news/bad news for me: obviously good news is OSU is worse off on the football field, and probably the recruiting tale in the immediate future, without Meyer. Bad news is this makes the OSU loss this year sting even more (if that was possible)... I think had we won that game, the story of Meyer's impending exit is more focus on the stain of the fact that he actively covered up for a domestic abuser, and not how he's "one of the greatest coaches of all-time" (I think the great Stephen A. Smith said something to that extent this morning). Crossing my fingers that Washington can get it together and send him off on the sour note he deserves.

P.S. Watch the Harbaugh media circus go out of control the moment football season starts next year... the "does Harbaugh need to beat Ohio State without Meyer" debate will probably begin the second training camp starts!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

He's only 54 years old - 13 years younger than Saban. I can almost guarantee he'll be bored to tears in a couple of years and desperate to coach again. His health issues will be "under control" and he'll have no shortage of suitors.

I wouldn't be surprised if Saban retired in four or five years once he gets past (a really young-looking) 70. Maybe another four or five years. Bama won't settle for another Dennis Franchione or one of their failed Mikes. Urban will be rested and ready to take their $9 million per.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    He's only 54 years old - 13 years younger than Saban. I can almost guarantee he'll be bored to tears in a couple of years and desperate to coach again. His health issues will be "under control" and he'll have no shortage of suitors.

I wouldn't be surprised if Saban retired in four or five years once he gets past (a really young-looking) 70. Maybe another four or five years. Bama won't settle for another Dennis Franchione or one of their failed Mikes. Urban will be rested and ready to take their $9 million per.
    If anyone other than Alabama grad Dabo Swinney gets that job when Saban leaves, it will be a huge surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    As a Michigan fan I second this conspiracy theory, haha, and I can tell you a lot of B1G folks have speculated something along these lines throughout the season as well. It wouldn't surprise me if there has been a concerted attempt to play up the health issues as the primary reason for his departure to distract from Zach Smith, but that's going one more level down the conspiracy rabbit hole.
    There was not and is not anything to the conspiracy theories that the health issues have been exaggerated.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    There was not and is not anything to the conspiracy theories that the health issues have been exaggerated.
    You're 100% right, upon review I now realize that doesn't read as I intended, so my apologies! Obviously Urban has legitimate health issues. The "next level" conspiracy, going off of what Jason had said about the suspension, is that maybe OSU has manipulated the situation so that all of the focus is on one factor in Urban leaving, his health, so that little/none of the focus returns to another potential factor, which is the Zach Smith scandal. It just really strikes me how the media coverage has completely ignored that issue considering a few months ago all the "talking heads" were saying it was offensive that he wasn't fired following the scandal. I hope that is more clear/less crass than my previous statement.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    From what I've heard the job is going to Day who was the OC and could have left for the Tennessee Titans OC job last year. He's supposedly a brilliant offensive mind. If he's not getting the job the person I'd see them going for before Herman would be Bob Stoops whose also a Ohio guy.
    Though it’s a moot point now, why would you think Tom Herman would leave Texas to go to Ohio State? The University of Texas has more financial resources than Ohio State. Texas is located smack dab in the middle of the greatest football recruiting hotbed in the country. Texas has facilities that are second to none. Texas has great tradition and a huge profile. Texas plays in a so-so conference that should allow them the opportunity to occasionally get through the Big 12 season unscathed. Austin, Texas is arguably THE place to live in this country if one has their choice of locales. Why in the world would Herman leave Texas for Ohio State??

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    No kidding...that "ahem" was quite amusing. If I'm not mistaken, HIPPA only applies to medical professionals...I don't think it applies to average people - especially concerning public knowledge.
    I'm not a HIPAA expert either (it's HIPAA, not HIPPA), but I'm sure that, for example, a hospital employee who may have access to some patient's medical records isn't supposed to broadcast them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    This was my suspicion and as one of the most reliable posters on the board, I will take this as gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I'm not a HIPAA expert either (it's HIPAA, not HIPPA), but I'm sure that, for example, a hospital employee who may have access to some patient's medical records isn't supposed to broadcast them.
    ...and those would be considered MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS...that is anyone who's profession grants them access to the records.

...and those would be considered MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS...that is anyone who's profession grants them access to the records.
    I work at a large bank and I am also required to do HIPAA training. The odds of someone's medical information landing on my desk are minimal, but everyone at the bank is required to do this as a bank is also liable. I should have paid better attention to the training as I don't recall the specifics of it, but society has become much, much more sensitive to this. I'm sure one of the many lawyers around here can back me up on this, or we can just move on and revert the focus of this thread to the topic at hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Though it’s a moot point now, why would you think Tom Herman would leave Texas to go to Ohio State? The University of Texas has more financial resources than Ohio State. Texas is located smack dab in the middle of the greatest football recruiting hotbed in the country. Texas has facilities that are second to none. Texas has great tradition and a huge profile. Texas plays in a so-so conference that should allow them the opportunity to occasionally get through the Big 12 season unscathed. Austin, Texas is arguably THE place to live in this country if one has their choice of locales. Why in the world would Herman leave Texas for Ohio State??
    I never thought Herman was gonna get the Job. I said it was Day's job. But if they had opened it up and not given the job to Day that Stoops would have been first on the list before Herman being that Stoops is a Ohio guy growing up in Youngstown, Ohio.

Why would Herman leave Texas for the The OSU job? I don't think he would have but if he did maybe because he was the OC/QB coach back in 2011 - 2014 hand picked by Urban for that job at The OSU when he first came there to replace Fickle who took over for a year after Tressel was forced to retire.

I had heard when it looked like Herman was leaving Houston for Texas, that OSU was his dream job being from Ohio originally. There were rumors that going to Texas first would make it easier to make the jump to OSU. Maybe that was all just hearsay...

No kidding...that "ahem" was quite amusing. If I'm not mistaken, HIPPA only applies to medical professionals...I don't think it applies to average people - especially concerning public knowledge.
    HIPAA certainly applies to anyone who works at a health organization (including support staff, such as cleaning people, HR, maintenance, PR etc) who works with protected information about anyone who uses their health organization as a customer. (I speak as a MD who has sat through numerous trainings on this).

It does not matter what someone has or has not disclosed about their own or anyone else's health condition if you are in one of the above categories. You still cannot disclose any information you learned at work.

If you are a random joe/josephine on the street and you repeat something you read or heard about someone's health then you are not involved in HIPAA. Even a doctor could repeat something they read on the web etc. about someone's medical history, provided they were not learning it in any professional capacity.

But if you learn about someone's (such as Urban Meyer's) health issues from something you saw, read or heard at a facility where he was a patient, and repeat that information without the persons express permission, than that is a HIPAA violation, and in many states is not only a civil problem but also a criminal act (a misdemeanor.)

So if the original poster's family member worked at a hospital visited by Urban Meyer and told others even the fact that he had seen the man there, or worse, repeated stuff he saw in the chart or overheard, he could be liable for a big fine or even a criminal prosecution. Just FYI

Why are you being pugnacious? Devildeac specifically said that his son "works at Wexner Medical Center."

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    HIPAA certainly applies to anyone who works at a health organization (including support staff, such as cleaning people, HR, maintenance, PR etc) who works with protected information about anyone who uses their health organization as a customer. (I speak as a MD who has sat through numerous trainings on this).

It does not matter what someone has or has not disclosed about their own or anyone else's health condition if you are in one of the above categories. You still cannot disclose any information you learned at work.

If you are a random joe/josephine on the street and you repeat something you read or heard about someone's health then you are not involved in HIPAA. Even a doctor could repeat something they read on the web etc. about someone's medical history, provided they were not learning it in any professional capacity.

But if you learn about someone's (such as Urban Meyer's) health issues from something you saw, read or heard at a facility where he was a patient, and repeat that information without the persons express permission, than that is a HIPAA violation, and in many states is not only a civil problem but also a criminal act (a misdemeanor.)

So if the original poster's family member worked at a hospital visited by Urban Meyer and told others even the fact that he had seen the man there, or worse, repeated stuff he saw in the chart or overheard, he could be liable for a big fine or even a criminal prosecution. Just FYI
    Let's put this to rest. As stated upthread, our son works at tOSU and has never seen/heard of/looked up anything about Urban Meyer's health issues in a work capacity. Ever. And, even if he did, he knows damn well that he's not allowed to, nor would he ever divulge any personal/medical information about any of his hospital contacts. He simply has become a secondary tOSU fan and was relating public information for crying our loud (aka FSS) he'd read/listened to on any/all of SBNation, Dailycaller, Bing, USA today, local newspapers/TV stations and/or any number of other news/information outlets that have printed/broadcast stories about Meyer's ongoing health issues.