Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Major CFB coaching change... Urban Meyer out at Ohio State

Urban Meyer is retiring. A piece of me thinks this was a secret negotiated thing from the scandal earlier this year. He was forced to retire but got to go out on his own terms, so to speak, by coaching out this season.

There will be coaching dominoes from tOSU filling a huge coaching opening, though not the same kind of ripples as when Carolina grabbed Mack Brown and utterly shook the foundations of college football. Bwahahahaha!

-Jason "I'll fold this into the generic coaching change thread in a bit, but this is pretty big news so it can stand on its own for a little bit" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Whoa... I just read a bit more and it looks like his OC, Ryan Day, who coached the team when Meyer was suspended earlier this year, will take over as head coach. So, no coaching dominoes. Ok...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

When will Meyer unretire this time?

Will it be in time for the Rose Bowl?

Will he come back to OSU after a year and force Ryan Day out?

Or will he wait until Brian Kelly leaves Notre Dame and go back to coach at his other dream job?

Keep watching as the Urban turns.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    When will Meyer unretire this time?

Will it be in time for the Rose Bowl?

Will he come back to OSU after a year and force Ryan Day out?

Or will he wait until Brian Kelly leaves Notre Dame and go back to coach at his other dream job?

Keep watching as the Urban turns.
    He's not retiring until AFTER the Rose Bowl anyway....interestingly enough, someone big at OSU wanted Day. He's a new assistant on the staff. Not like Urban fell on his sword to get one of his longtime assistants the gig....(unless Day has worked with Urban earlier...which I don't know).

If the job is not truly filled, then I would expect Herman at Texas to be all over this unless his role in the saga precludes him from consideration...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    He's not retiring until AFTER the Rose Bowl anyway...interestingly enough, someone big at OSU wanted Day. He's a new assistant on the staff. Not like Urban fell on his sword to get one of his longtime assistants the gig...(unless Day has worked with Urban earlier...which I don't know).
    I don’t know anything about Day’s past but the more surprising part was when he was named the interim head coach instead of Greg Schiano or Kevin Wilson (both previous head coaches) back in August when Meyer was suspended.

This "retirement" feels a lot like it was planned long ago. Like, when Meyer was suspended. The tOSU AD probably worked out a deal so that Meyer could end his tenure in Columbus "gracefully" (as if anyone forgets).

Quote Originally Posted by DangerDevil View Post
    I don’t know anything about Day’s past but the more surprising part was when he was named the interim head coach instead of Greg Schiano or Kevin Wilson (both previous head coaches) back in August when Meyer was suspended.
    Day doesn't have any prior issues. Schiano and Wilson do not have spotless records.

Is Urban Meyer the kind of guy who would fall on his sword for an assistant?

Is OSU the kind of institution that would try to make retirement graceful for a scandal-plagued coach? Or more of an institution that rolled the dice that the incumbent coach might make it more likely that the team would get into the playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    This "retirement" feels a lot like it was planned long ago. Like, when Meyer was suspended. The tOSU AD probably worked out a deal so that Meyer could end his tenure in Columbus "gracefully" (as if anyone forgets).
    The sleeping giant in Orange County should have been more patient. Meyer would have jumped at coaching at a school with a punishment-free zone for scandals.

I'm no Meyer fan, but he does have some health issues (anyone see him on the sideline late in the Maryland game?), has won a natty and owned Harbaugh. And faces an extremely beatable U Dub team in this year's Rose Bowl. Absent another title, that seems to me a reasonably "graceful" exit under the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    If the job is not truly filled, then I would expect Herman at Texas to be all over this unless his role in the saga precludes him from consideration...
    From what I've heard the job is going to Day who was the OC and could have left for the Tennessee Titans OC job last year. He's supposedly a brilliant offensive mind. If he's not getting the job the person I'd see them going for before Herman would be Bob Stoops whose also a Ohio guy.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    I'm no Meyer fan, but he does have some health issues (anyone see him on the sideline late in the Maryland game?), has won a natty and owned Harbaugh. And faces an extremely beatable U Dub team in this year's Rose Bowl. Absent another title, that seems to me a reasonably "graceful" exit under the circumstances.
    Our son, who lives in Columbus now and works at Wexner Medical Center, verified this comment and postulated it may be causing him problems again.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Our son, who lives in Columbus now and works at Wexner Medical Center, verified this comment and postulated it may be causing him problems again.
    Articles I have read have pointed to his health directly as a leading cause. Regardless of other issues and conspiracy theories, certainly a man's health transcends sports.

I wish him well in retirement and hope OSU burns to the ground. Metaphorically speaking. Mostly.

I don’t think there’s any big conspiracy by Ohio State to keep Urban on for the year and let him exit gracefully. His health has been an issue for the last 10 years on and off, and coaching college football is a 80 hour/week job. There’s not much more for him to accomplish in the sport, he is still relatively young, and if you get bored you can always be a consultant or some network will give him some cash to be a color man or in studio.

He’s pretty clearly the second best coach in college football to Saban. Maybe now Harbaugh can finally beat Ohio State.

I know Herman was an Ohio state assistant but I don’t think he’s gonna leave Texas. Why succeed Urban Meyer whose success will be hard to match when you’re already building something good at a school that has as much resources as anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    I don’t think there’s any big conspiracy by Ohio State to keep Urban on for the year and let him exit gracefully. His health has been an issue for the last 10 years on and off, and coaching college football is a 80 hour/week job. There’s not much more for him to accomplish in the sport, he is still relatively young, and if you get bored you can always be a consultant or some network will give him some cash to be a color man or in studio.

He’s pretty clearly the second best coach in college football to Saban. Maybe now Harbaugh can finally beat Ohio State.

I know Herman was an Ohio state assistant but I don’t think he’s gonna leave Texas. Why succeed Urban Meyer whose success will be hard to match when you’re already building something good at a school that has as much resources as anybody.
    How many times are you allowed to retire and cite health as the excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    ahem

This decision was Coach Meyer's and Coach Meyer's alone.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Coach Meyer has publicly confirmed his health issues. My recollection of HIPAA law is rusty, but I think this would negate any HIPAA concerns for young DevilDeac.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    From what I've heard the job is going to Day who was the OC and could have left for the Tennessee Titans OC job last year. He's supposedly a brilliant offensive mind. If he's not getting the job the person I'd see them going for before Herman would be Bob Stoops whose also a Ohio guy.
    Job is definitely going to Day. They are looking for a smooth succession (a la Oklahoma), and Day showed he was up to the task during Meyer’s suspension.